Options

Vm bios

jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just found a handy feature that I thought would be helpful for others:

You can force VMware to boot the VM directly into the BIOS, rather than trying to beat the bios delay.

Select the VM --> Edit Settings --> Options tab --> "Boot Options" --> Force BIOS Setup section --> check "The next time the virtual machine boots, force entry into the BIOS setup screen."

(I'm not sure how commonly this setting is used, but i thought someone could use it).
"Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes that is useful. In the same place (in vSphere client) there is a BIOS delay option that can also be useful (I usually set my VMs with a 5 second delay so I can get into the BIOS or boot menu).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yep, its a great tip. If you have a bit of an 'evil but in a good way' persona, much fun can be had by watching a junior trying to catch the BIOS of a VM on boot but not telling them this exists for at least an hour... muhahahaha
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    bertieb wrote: »
    Yep, its a great tip. If you have a bit of an 'evil but in a good way' persona, much fun can be had by watching a junior trying to catch the BIOS of a VM on boot but not telling them this exists for at least an hour... muhahahaha

haha!

Also, not sure if anyone is aware of the option to hot add CPU/Memory on Windows 2008/Linux distros on that same tab. Handy ;)
  • Options
    vCole wrote: »
    haha!

Also, not sure if anyone is aware of the option to hot add CPU/Memory on Windows 2008/Linux distros on that same tab. Handy ;)

The hot add option is pretty sweet.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    bertieb wrote: »

i'm going to do that now. I've been training some REALLY new guys so that could be pretty funny.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Glad I ran across this. Reading it sent me on a hunt that may be useful to others.

If you want to get to the BIOS on Windows Virtual PC (on Windows 7), you can press the Del key during the boot. That sounds simple enough, but the problem is that it doesn't work if the Integration Components are installed and enabled. On most of my VPCs, the Integration Features on the Settings page is set to Enabled at Startup so dancing on the Del key never works. However, after deselecting Enable at startup for the Integration features, I was able to get into the BIOS on the VPC.

Darril Gibson
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Darril wrote: »
    Glad I ran across this. Reading it sent me on a hunt that may be useful to others.

If you want to get to the BIOS on Windows Virtual PC (on Windows 7), you can press the Del key during the boot. That sounds simple enough, but the problem is that it doesn't work if the Integration Components are installed and enabled. On most of my VPCs, the Integration Features on the Settings page is set to Enabled at Startup so dancing on the Del key never works. However, after deselecting Enable at startup for the Integration features, I was able to get into the BIOS on the VPC.

Darril Gibson

Off topic, I know. But do you have any idea why they changed all of the interfaces when they migrated Virtual PC? I used to use the old version here and there (but preferred VMWare Workstation) but I just can't stand the new interface with Windows 7. They really over-complicated things and added minimal new features.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Off topic, I know. But do you have any idea why they changed all of the interfaces when they migrated Virtual PC? I used to use the old version here and there (but preferred VMWare Workstation) but I just can't stand the new interface with Windows 7. They really over-complicated things and added minimal new features.

Sorry, but no, I don't know why. It may have something to do with Windows XP Mode It has taken me a while to get used to it too, but since I do so much with Microsoft products, I really need to use it. As an aside, you can use either Windows Virtual PC (the new interface required for Windows XP Mode), or Microsoft Virtual PC (the older interface) on Windows 7. Sadly, neither supports 64 bit guests.

Darril