Options

Windows Server 8 - Preview

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In the link you showed us, I have to say I agree with most of the people's comment. The "metro" style GUI wasn't necessary for a server version. What you think?

By the way, good finding. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Hrm, it seems Server is only on MSDN, that is what I really wanted to be playing with. I don't have an MSDN subscription right now. icon_sad.gif I downloaded what was available on the Dev Center last night. Still trying to get it installed on a VM so I can do my own review.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im not seeing huge amounts of change is services offered vs 2008 r2

just a different way of accessing them it looks like
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Everyone wrote: »
    Hrm, it seems Server is only on MSDN, that is what I really wanted to be playing with. I don't have an MSDN subscription right now. icon_sad.gif I downloaded what was available on the Dev Center last night. Still trying to get it installed on a VM so I can do my own review.

Same here, I downloaded the x64 bit version without the developers tool and after mounting the ISO in VMware Workstation, it gave me an error upon boot. Has anyone tried running 8 on VMvware Workstation? I just might use Hyper-V Manager instead.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    WiseWun wrote: »
    Same here, I downloaded the x64 bit version without the developers tool and after mounting the ISO in VMware Workstation, it gave me an error upon boot. Has anyone tried running 8 on VMvware Workstation? I just might use Hyper-V Manager instead.

I also tried this on Workstation and fusion for mac and neither worked both came up with an error when trying to install. Havent tried it on Hyper-V though.
  • Options
    WiseWun wrote: »

That's exactly what I downloaded. I tried a couple different ways on Workstation 8 (it won't work on 7 at all), it will get to the 1st reboot of the install, then blue screen, then get stuck in a reboot loop.

I'm trying it on VirtualBox 4.1.2 again now. I had originally started it installing on that last night, but forgot to change the path to save the VMs in, so it ran my system drive out of space. Now that I have it pointed to the correct drive with plenty of space, I'm hoping it will work.
  • Options
    I got it up and running with VirtualBox 4.1.2. I was able to boot the VMDK file created by VirtualBox in Workstation 8.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was able to get it installed and running without issue but I did have to download VMware Workstation 8. I tried in 7 and it bombed upon install.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Wonder if the touch functionality in this works fairly well already. Going to try it on my HP Elitebook tablet.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    im not seeing huge amounts of change is services offered vs 2008 r2

just a different way of accessing them it looks like
    I won't even bother listing all the new stuff here...
    Windows 8 Server Developer Preview | Server OS | ZDNet UK

Those of you who saw the "Are Jobs Obselete" thread should be looking at these new features and seeing Windows Server - not moving but - dramatically shifting to a cloud based OS.

Here is another one:
    Windows Server 8: The Ultimate Cloud OS?
  • Options
    Took literally like 5 min to install Windows. Got touch working after a Windows Update. This part of it is a noticeable improvement over Win7 without a doubt. Scrolling through the tiles is very fast.
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Took literally like 5 min to install Windows. Got touch working after a Windows Update. This part of it is a noticeable improvement over Win7 without a doubt. Scrolling through the tiles is very fast.
    Impressive, but are you talking about the server OS or client?
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Everyone wrote: »
    That's exactly what I downloaded. I tried a couple different ways on Workstation 8 (it won't work on 7 at all), it will get to the 1st reboot of the install, then blue screen, then get stuck in a reboot loop.

I'm trying it on VirtualBox 4.1.2 again now. I had originally started it installing on that last night, but forgot to change the path to save the VMs in, so it ran my system drive out of space. Now that I have it pointed to the correct drive with plenty of space, I'm hoping it will work.

I have tried VirtualBox but the bloody thing kept giving me errors till I did some research and came across an article which solved my problem. I'm happy to tell you guys I have officially installed/tested Windows 8 Developer's Preview! lol. Below is the article from ZDNet.

Windows 8 - An installation walk-through | ZDNet
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    Impressive, but are you talking about the server OS or client?

Client. No bugs or crashing yet either.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Downloading now, hopefully I'll get to try it out before the weekend. I'm looking forward to the PowerShell updates and the new Hyper-V.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Unfortunately won't run out of the box on XenServer 5.6 SP2. Guess I'll need to put something else on to run it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    bran0923bran0923 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here is another site covering it, with more screenshots.

Windows Server 8 Preview
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just installed mine on Virtual Box...10 minute install.