Options

Cisco Access Server

The ScorpionThe Scorpion Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I just got a Cisco 2511 RJ Access Server. I configured the int L0 w/ IP & SM using a roll over cable thru COM1. I'm using Secure CRT & I'm able to connect to my AS just fine. Here's my dilema. I made my own RJ-45 Roll Over Cable, connected to the console port of my AS & the other end to my Ethernet port on my laptop. Opened Secure CRT & tried to connect to my AS using the Telnet option in Secure CRT the cursor will blink for a bit then I will get a msg saying connection timeout. What am I missing here? Please Help Lol.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Ethernet and RS232 serial are two different protocols. You can't just connect a console port to an ethernet port and expect it to work.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    The ScorpionThe Scorpion Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So If I was to make a custom RJ-45 cable. What would be my options for this?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The Rj-45 doesn't matter, they don't speak the same language so the cable/connecter has nothing to do with it. You need to console in with a serial port or USB-Serial adapter from your laptop. Another option (you'd still need to console in first to configure this) is to hook your computer's ethernet to one of the ethernet ports on the router and telnet into the access server.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.