Options

Weird Outlook issue

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
I've spent way too much time researching this and haven't found a solution. User has a recurring meeting. Everything is fine and dandy on a Mac, Android device, BlackBerry and OWA. For some reason, the meeting shows in Outlook 2010 in a time slot 5 hours later. I created a profile for him on a test VM and the issue is still present. When looking at the meeting in OWA everything looks normal. However, I noticed the difference below when comparing an occurrence vs. the series.

owaj.jpg

Here are a couple of details:

- 12 users in this meeting. No one else having issues.
- If I move the meeting to a different time slot it retains the 5 hour difference in Outlook
- The user experiencing the issue noticed two more meeting with the same behavior, all from the same sender
- I looked into DST issue but everything is fully patched
- Also looked into time zone settings and everything within Outlook was correct

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm convinced there is a bug in Outlook 2010 in the way it handles anything with UTC time. I get meeting requests occasionally from people on Zimbra that use UTC for their meeting requests. Just as you've described, there is a disparity in time.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've seen similar things at my work. All around OutLook and UTC. Sadly we have to pass things like this off to our parent company's IS so I can't even give any suggestions.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    14:15 - 9:15 5:00

I've seen some quirky issues with Outlook as well, something similar to this in fact.

I'll ask around Cyber and see if I can get you in the right direction.
  • Options
    Thanks. This is one of those issues that drives me crazy but I just can't justify spending too much time on it.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Outlook has nothing to do with the time, that is all controlled by the OS. I’m guessing the problem is only happening on Windows 7 systems?
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    Outlook has nothing to do with the time, that is all controlled by the OS. I’m guessing the problem is only happening on Windows 7 systems?

It has everything to do with time when you throw the time zone component into meetings. I've never once seen this issue on Windows 7 running Office 2007 but multiple times with a Win 7 + Office 2010 combination.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    RTmarc wrote: »
    It has everything to do with time when you throw the time zone component into meetings. I've never once seen this issue on Windows 7 running Office 2007 but multiple times with a Win 7 + Office 2010 combination.
    You won't see it on XP + Office 2010 either. Outlook does not control the time settings, the OS does. It is an OS side patch that fixes it. Outlook pulls the time info from the OS it is installed on. It translates meeting times based on what it gets from the OS. If the time is broken on the OS, it will be broken in Outlook. It is not possible for it to break ONLY in Outlook but be fine on the OS. OWA is different, OWA gets its time from the Exchange server it is running on, and the user can specify the time zone within OWA. You can't tell Outlook what your time zone is, it gets that from the OS it is installed on.

I have seen where time zones are completely missing on Windows 7, there was a KB article with a "Fix it for me" for this issue, but I can't seem to find it right now. The user had to run it IIRC, it didn't need admin privileges. You have to look closely, because it may look like the settings are correct, when in fact they are missing, and it is using something similar, but not correct. The OS time settings is where you have to look.

I did find this article while trying to find the one I was talking about, it may be of some help: Timing and scheduling issues after a daylight saving time update or time zone update
  • Options
    Just a quick update. I was able to confirm I am not going crazy. This person opened a case with M$ and nothing has come from it in over 6 months: Error with Daylight Savings Time in Office 2010 and Windows 7.
  • Options
    sechen43sechen43 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Having the same / similar issue. Upgraded to 2010 couple of months ago. I have a lot of weekly meetings that are reoccurring, most of which I created. Randomly, these meetings will simply move to a time slot 5 hours ahead on my side. Nothing changes on the other attendees calendars. Today I received a 15 min reminder and hit snooze. Then, at the 5 min reminder it stated that the meeting was 6 days overdue, I dismissed, glanced at the calendar, and the meeting in question, and all of its future meetings, had moved to 5 hours later in the day. I have noticed that I always get a 6 day old reminder on the ones that move after the snooze. I have tried completely deleting and recreating these meetings and it still happens. It happens totally at random. Some weeks 5 meetings are ok and only 1 has an issue, other weeks 3 or 4 meetings have an issue. This is only on reoccurring meetings and they always adjust by 5 hours forward and it has something to do with reminders (maybe). I have tried all of the Outlook switches and nothing seems to help. Deleting and recreating my profile didn’t help either. I also have an android (HTC Sensation) but I don’t see how this could be causing it.
  • Options
    Welcome aboard. Are your Office and Windows patches up to date?