Options

Looking to take 201

amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
Hi,

From others who have done this, can I get some info please?

I am going to buy DG book to take this one. Hopefully this is enough aas working as a network admin for a while but our company has gone security mad.

Is there any way to get a discount on this exam as the company are far too tight to pay for this. However if Im looking to poss get another job I think it wont hurt my resume.

I realise it retires at 2011 year end. Does this mean this is certified for life, didnt really understand and its the only one Im taking in the COMPTIA range I suspect.

then I might just get back to becoming an MCSA lol

Thanks guys.
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Read DG's book once take some practice exams, and take the test its that easy. The 201 retires at the end of the year, its being taken over by the 301 completely, its not a lifetime cert just the old test going out. But seriously DG's book is all you need. I read it once in 6 days, did 6 days of flash cards and practice tests, and scored a 842. Good luck
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    First, I think Blackout is giving you great advice:) To add a little....

On vouchers, I have had very good luck with getcertify4less.com. Go to Google and search on buy discount A+ vouchers... I've purchased vouchers at reduced prices from them several times over the years and never had problems. On the other hand, I have heard of some sites like that sell bogus voucher numbers.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Author
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    Thanks,

As Im in the UK Im trying to source UK discount voucher, anyone have any ideas please?
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ebay is always an option if you have the trust for it. getcertify4less.com and voucher4you.com are the only two sites that I know of. (I think I used voucher4you but it could have been getcertify4less).
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    First, I think Blackout is giving you great advice:) To add a little....

On vouchers, I have had very good luck with getcertify4less.com. Go to Google and search on buy discount A+ vouchers... I've purchased vouchers at reduced prices from them several times over the years and never had problems. On the other hand, I have heard of some sites like that sell bogus voucher numbers.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Author

I read your book and passed security+ with an 856!! In fact, the city that you have as your location (virginia beach) is where I took the exam. At the ECPI over there. It was a great read!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I read your book and passed security+ with an 856!! In fact, the city that you have as your location (virginia beach) is where I took the exam. At the ECPI over there. It was a great read!

Glad it helped. I'm hoping the 301 version will also help people master this material and pass the exam. I teach some classes at ECPI University as an adjunct professor, but mostly at the Newport News campus lately.

Darril Gibson
    Blog
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Darril wrote: »
    Glad it helped. I'm hoping the 301 version will also help people master this material and pass the exam. I teach some classes at ECPI University as an adjunct professor, but mostly at the Newport News campus lately.

Darril Gibson
    Blog

Do you ever teach online courses? Or course in Southern California?

When is your updated 301 prep book coming out?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    By the end of October.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    Do you ever teach online courses? Or course in Southern California?

Yes, I have taught online courses, but not recently, and mostly Microsoft. I keep my traveling light these days and while Southern California is beautiful, it's a little far from Virginia.
    When is your updated 301 prep book coming out?

Blackout answered this. It's scheduled to be released by late October but most of it is out of my hands at this time. In the meantime, I released the SY0-301 practice test questions book. I'll keep people updated on progress at sec-plus.com.

Darril Gibson
    blog