Options

Virtual Labs with books

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
As I have stated many times, I love the Sybex testing software. For an extra $100 or so I can get the CCNA book with a virtual lab, anyone have experience with that? There is also the simulator included with the Cisco Press book, how bout that one hmmmmmmm?

I know I have seen people on here talk about the Odom one, but not sure I recall anyone mentioning the Sybex one?

and yes, I know GNS3 is free, but you need an IOS right? I don't brain ****, bootleg music or movies... don't get it twisted, i could care less if you do, but I don't want to do it... so....

any advice? the physical lab is still a possibility, but I know I'm buying the books regardless, why not get the sims too? But of course I don't think I need both virtual labs, but I'm definitely buying a Sybex book for the testing software alone. So... thoughts?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Packet Tracer is really great for labbing and working toward CCNA. You don't need an IOS for it which makes it useful. There are some limitations, but overall a very helpful tool to compliment books.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've used Packet Tracer, it works well for CCNA training. You could look at NetSimK.com - CCNA Network Simulator, it seems comparable to Packet Tracer.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I'd still recommend you touch a real piece of equipment and work on it while you study. Once you see all the things you can do with Packet Tracer, it will soon become apparent the things you can't do.
  • Options
    is Packet Tracer the one with the Wendell Odom book? or something else?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Packet Tracer is only available to Cisco Net Academy, FYI. We should have clarified that first.
  • Options
    yeah, I'm just looking for advice on the labs that come with Sybex or Cisco Press, thanks anyhow
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    no one has experience with the sims that come with Sybex or Cisco Press?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    cisco_kiddcisco_kidd Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You may want to look at Boson, I'm about to get their ex-sim and lab simulator.
  • Options
    I ordered the Sybex one, but I may end up getting that one too if work's paying for it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark