For the CCENT do I need access to hardware?

1233412334 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Looking for a cert where I won't be harmed because I don't have the money to go out and spend money for home lab stuff. I would imagine that some of the more advanced Cisco certs would definitely benefit from a home lab but what about the CCENT?

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCENT is more theory than operations so you don't necessarily need a lab, but it doesn't hurt to have one. You can look at something like Cisco Packet Tracer, NetSimK.com - CCNA Network Simulator or GNS3 | Graphical Network Simulator for doing labs.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • 1233412334 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much. How far can the labs you mentioned take me? Could/Should I rely on the labs for more advanced Cisco certs?
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well I used Cisco Packet Tracer for my CCNA labs and it worked well enough for that. I can't speak as to the higher level Cisco certs as I haven't studied for those. I have heard good things about NetSimK and GNS3 for the more advanced studies though. Maybe someone else can chime in?
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
    Well I used Cisco Packet Tracer for my CCNA labs and it worked well enough for that. I can't speak as to the higher level Cisco certs as I haven't studied for those. I have heard good things about NetSimK and GNS3 for the more advanced studies though. Maybe someone else can chime in?

Sorry to change the subject. Just one of those things. I'd like to see how far the labs can take me and what the boundaries are.
  • drumrolfedrumrolfe Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Absolutely not. You do not need access to hardware for the CCENT level exam. Packet tracer is suitable all the way through the CCNA.

However, having hands-on knowledge helps immensely when you are studying for the CCNA. The investment in time and money used to purchase and use lab equipment will help cement your decision to earn these certifications and learn the material.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    drumrolfe wrote: »
    Absolutely not. You do not need access to hardware for the CCENT level exam. Packet tracer is suitable all the way through the CCNA.

However, having hands-on knowledge helps immensely when you are studying for the CCNA. The investment in time and money used to purchase and use lab equipment will help cement your decision to earn these certifications and learn the material.

Absolutely agree. I started studying for CCNA 6 years ago using only simulators and completely lost interest. Earlier this year I built a lab and enjoyed every minute. It definitely helped me retain knowledge and pass ICND1. I guess I need to see tiny LEDs flashing to stay motivated.
    Thanks all, yes I know what you mean about losing interest. I suffer a constant battle between losing interest and at least getting the job done. Over the years, I have realized that just getting it done is more important. Still, the real thing does keep me motivated.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. I started studying for CCNA 6 years ago using only simulators and completely lost interest. Earlier this year I built a lab and enjoyed every minute. It definitely helped me retain knowledge and pass ICND1. I guess I need to see tiny LEDs flashing to stay motivated.
    I agree with you 100%, i did exactly the same. When I bought my 20u rack, put it together and put all my equipment in, the feeling was great, and then to configure your OWN hardware - a good feeling. Arg, I sound like a complete cisco junkie.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know a few CCIE's who didn't have a home lab until they were studying for their CCIE. They were already working with Cisco gear at their jobs but you don't really get to play with the cli very much in a production environment.
    Packet tracer is good for the CCNA and will continue to suffice. You should at least learn to use GNS3 for the CCNP as it is more realistic for router practicing.
    Hands on is really a lot better for you though so if you plan to go past the CCNA you should probably start putting together a lab. Do it like I did, one piece at a time. A couple 2950 switches (about $40 each on ebay) 2 or 3 routers (I got mine off eBay for around $40 each) and I wouldn't even bother getting a rack although it does look nicer. I built my own rack but found I save space by just stacking my stuff in the corner.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    earweed wrote: »
    2 or 3 routers (I got mine off eBay for around $40 each)

Which routers did you buy? Just curious as $40 is pretty affordable.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I passed the CCENT with no home lab, it's doable, but it would have been easier with a lab probably. Setting one up for my CCNA studies now
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess I'm weird but I actually think simulators are pretty neat. I also like working with physical hardware. Luckily on of my co-workers let me borrow a bunch of routers and switches so I was able to use both.

If you can afford to buy hardware, I say go for it. Otherwise, you might want to check out a simulator. I know the Todd Lammle CCNA book comes with simulator software you can use. It also has some labs that go with the book.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I know the Todd Lammle CCNA book comes with simulator software you can use. It also has some labs that go with the book.

I just bought that on Amazon this past Saturday for my CCNA studies, should arrive any day now
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark