Options

VMware workstation 8 released

reppgoareppgoa Member Posts: 151
I used the beta quite a bit, its a really nice client.

*EDIT* As well as fusion 4 =D=D=D. Happy day!!

Comments

• Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Woot! 7.1 was pretty nice---here are the improvements for 8:

VMware Workstation Features, Multiple Operating Systems, Run Linux on Windows
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice, you can connect to ESXi/vSphere! I'll have to check this out to see what functionality is available. I'm tired of having to run a Windows VM just for vSphere Client.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Somebody post the educational discount upgrade link for 8. I'm too tired to go hunting for it now. sleeping.gif
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Somebody post the educational discount upgrade link for 8. I'm too tired to go hunting for it now. sleeping.gif

This what you talking about JD?

VMware Online Academic Store Discounts
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    This what you talking about JD?

VMware Online Academic Store Discounts
    Yep, that's it. $59 for a student upgrade to v8 and they don't even check your enrollment (but I am a student anyway).

Thanks!
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yep, that's it. $59 for a student upgrade to v8 and they don't even check your enrollment (but I am a student anyway).

Thanks!

I prefer automatically upgraded NFR licenses icon_whistle.gif
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Nice, $59 for the upgrade is a steal. I've been primarily using VirtualBox for my labbing lately, even though I have a 7.x license. I might have to give WS 8 a shot though.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    jmritenour wrote: »
    Nice, $59 for the upgrade is a steal. I've been primarily using VirtualBox for my labbing lately, even though I have a 7.x license. I might have to give WS 8 a shot though.

I wonder if they're giving out VMW8 licenses when passing VCP5 (and being VCP4 that is) :D
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    I wonder if they're giving out VMW8 licenses when passing VCP5 (and being VCP4 that is) :D

I'm sure they probably will since that's one of their "perks" for VCPs, but at this point, I doubt I'm going to be upgrading my VCP to 5. At least not any time soon...

Has anyone had much of a chance to play around with WS8 yet? I just got around to installing the trial. I hope it scales better than WS7 - it seemed to choke out really bad when I was running multiple VMs at once, one of the main reasons I used VBox primarily for my labbing.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    I sure hope so. It is an expensive exam.
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    I sure hope so. It is an expensive exam.

Isn't it just icon_sad.gif

Now vmware postponed license key upgrades until October 12 .. god dammit ... my trial expires before that which sucks as my main VM on that is already upgraded to hardware version 8 so I won't be able to use it again with earlier versions .. Ah well .. that is vmware for you icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    my trial expires before that which sucks as my main VM on that is already upgraded to hardware version 8 so I won't be able to use it again with earlier versions .. Ah well .. that is vmware for you icon_sad.gif
    You didn't make a backup of your VM before converting it to 8?
  • Options
    You didn't make a backup of your VM before converting it to 8?

Oh I did - it's a 300G VM though so it's a pain to restore :p
  • Options
    I called their certification support for another issue so I asked about this and they said we will get a Workstation 8 license for passing the VCP 5. :D
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    I called their certification support for another issue so I asked about this and they said we will get a Workstation 8 license for passing the VCP 5. :D

Nice one :)

Having said that - I never received another key after VCP4 .. only VCP3 ...
  • Options
    Nice one :)

Having said that - I never received another key after VCP4 .. only VCP3 ...
    It should have been included with the welcome kit... at least mine was. Try contacting their training/certification support if you need the key (seems you have an NFR key already, though).

The VCP 5 was added to my transcript today and there was a notice saying Workstation 8 keys would be sent out by email starting October 20.
    MentholMoose
  • Options
    The VCP 5 was added to my transcript today and there was a notice saying Workstation 8 keys would be sent out by email starting October 20.
    I received the welcome kit on Monday, and finally got the Workstation 8 key via email today. :D
    MentholMoose