Working on my Home Lab. Question about routing table.

nastynate604nastynate604 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey All,

I currently am playing around with a Cisco 2600XM router. I have it configured on my internal network as 192.168.0.3. It is connected to my Cisco Cable Modem/Router which is 192.168.0.1 using the fa0/0 port. Now my question. In order to route packets through the 2600XM to the Cable Modem so they can reach the internet how would I config this?

router(config)#ip route 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 ?????

What would the next-hop or exitinterface address be? I'm kind of confused here. Or do I need to use my ISP assigned IP address here? Like this:

router(config)#ip route 96.49.21.176 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Assume your "Cisco Cable Modem" is already doing NAT, you would set a default route on your 2600XM. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1

If you have VLANs and other address scheme behind the 2600XM, your Cisco modem would need to those routes in its routing table.
  • nastynate604nastynate604 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ahh yes... that makes sense. I guess because I only have the one router at the moment connecting to only one network it would be considered a stub. Thank you so much.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Try to get the edges round.....lol (crickets)
    Sounds like your question got answered fairly well. Personally, though, I wouldn't want the routes inside you lab network on a modem/ router. Worry more about getting the knowledge needed to pass the cert and get a better job.
    Have you considered also using GNS3? You can simulate several routers and even use your NIC (from your PC) to conect into whatever external lab equipment you have.
    Best of luck in your studies!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    Try to get the edges round.....lol (crickets)
    Sounds like your question got answered fairly well. Personally, though, I wouldn't want the routes inside you lab network on a modem/ router. Worry more about getting the knowledge needed to pass the cert and get a better job.
    Have you considered also using GNS3? You can simulate several routers and even use your NIC (from your PC) to conect into whatever external lab equipment you have.
    Best of luck in your studies!

Getting the CCENT is my first goal and yes It seems I need at least that to even be considered for a Job now. I am currently looking for work so wish me luck. I have downloaded a copy of GNS3.. It looks fairly complicated. I did however get a copy of the Cisco Packet tracer.. looks easier.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Packet tracer is a lot easier than GNS3 but if you have the time to learn GNS3 it'll probably be more beneficial.
    I just have 2- 2950 switches and a 1721 router so I needed a way to get more routers without more money and GNS3 helped.
    Packet tracer is good enough to get you through the ICND1 & 2 as it allows you to simulate enough for the CCNA (just my opinion). In my opinion though you should really give GNS3 a shot or at least get some additional lab equipment.
    An added word of advice, Use more than one source for your studies. The Odom books are really good but dry while I found the Lammie book a better read it didn't provide as much depth. The Bryant Advantage book is good and I've heard a lot of good things about the CBT Nugget videos.
    Best of luck in your studies and finding that job.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GNS3 to me at first looked really complicated, but if you read the manuals you'll get it. Since you have your own hardware you can just upload your IOS to your computer and use that as a virtual router/switch.

I have both hardware and the software. The software is good when you're outside of your house (assuming you have a laptop). For me I fire up GNS3 when I'm not too busy or when I'm too lazy to get off the sofa to mess with my equipment.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    Cool. Speaking of hardware.. My routers both (2600XM) came without any Network Modules. Know of any places to grab them online for cheap, besides EBAY or is that really the only option?

Thanks.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's where I've been getting my modules from (eBay). Just make sure they include a 20 day warranty. You'll probably want to get either a WIC-1T or 2T and maybe some T1 cards.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    That's where I've been getting my modules from (eBay). Just make sure they include a 20 day warranty. You'll probably want to get either a WIC-1T or 2T and maybe some T1 cards.

This is where I am total noob. I'm not totally familiar what the WIC cards do. Do they provide a serial connection between two devices? I was thinking of adding some FastEthernet ports as well because currently both routers only have one. What would the T1 Cards be used for?