Options

OSPF and EIGRP on the same Interface

asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is it technically possible to configure both EIGRP and OSPF on the same router interface (say, s0 of RouterA)? Additionally can we redistribute the routes?

Comments

• Options
    BradwmetalBradwmetal Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since EIGRP and OSPF are global protocols I would think so. Since you don't configure the router protocols at the interface level why would it matter? As far as redistributing the routes I don't remember the commands (I just got my CCNA 2 weeks ago so I am still quite a newbie)
    would it be
    router ospf 1
    redistribute eigrp 1

and vice versa?
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bradwmetal wrote: »
    Since EIGRP and OSPF are global protocols I would think so. Since you don't configure the router protocols at the interface level why would it matter? As far as redistributing the routes I don't remember the commands (I just got my CCNA 2 weeks ago so I am still quite a newbie)
    would it be
    router ospf 1
    redistribute eigrp 1

and vice versa?

It's quite a bit more complicated than that, but that's the basic idea. I don't see redistribution on the exam blueprint and we didn't do very much with it in the Academy classes, so I would say that knowing that it exists and what it does will be sufficient.

And for the OP, the routing protocol processes are independent of one another. There's nothing stopping you from running both on the same interface.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    It's quite a bit more complicated than that, but that's the basic idea. I don't see redistribution on the exam blueprint and we didn't do very much with it in the Academy classes, so I would say that knowing that it exists and what it does will be sufficient.

And for the OP, the routing protocol processes are independent of one another. There's nothing stopping you from running both on the same interface.

heh I guess I wasn't too far off. I guess that is what is Google is for icon_smile.gif. I read a little about redistribution while studying for the CCNA, but there was not any questions about on my exam.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You're not allowed to say what was or wasn't on your exam.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    You're not allowed to say what was or wasn't on your exam.
    opps my bad.. I wasn't going into detail, I figured that was pretty vague as all tests are different. The next person certainly got a totally different question set and possibly a question on that subject. If its blueprint someone should study for it regardless.

Its all good though icon_smile.gif You are right about not telling what's on it. I studied hard for the test, I don't want someone to get off easy on my back. Everyone should learn it and not care what was on another persons test.