Options

Windows 8 Monitor/Laptop

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey guys, just messing with Windows 8 in a VM. I want to toss it on something with a touch screen. Thoughts? Cheap laptop or touch enabled montior you would recommend?
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Even if you could somehow find one cheap (lol)....what's the point of investing in a non finished product that you'll play with for 15minutes? I've messed with it on my touchscreen laptop. It's fast when it does respond. But I don't see why anyone should spend money on it yet.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How can you play with win 8 if is not finished , and won't be in a sell till 2013?:)
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    greenerek wrote: »
    How can you play with win 8 if is not finished , and won't be in a sell till 2013?:)

Developer Preview was released last Tuesday. I've been playing with it since then. I have it on a VM on a second screen right now. Running both. I have to say, I really love Windows 8 so far. It hasn't even reached beta yet (CES 2012), but it's very nice.

I don't have any experience with touchscreen monitors (I can't stand people touching my monitors). People have it running very smoothly on tablets, though. I am hoping there is some Kinect integration, as hand gestures would make my day. There was talk about it a while back, but I don't know how that's going. I'm sure there will be some third party tools to do it, though.

I'm ready to buy a tablet just to throw this dev preview on to play with it. Yes, I would spend money on it even if the final is still a year away. That's how us [H]ardcore people do it. We play with new technology. We don't want to be stagnant. We'll have more to offer when it is finally released. We can help end users, as we'll have a very in-depth knowledge of the OS upon release. I've been doing that since Windows 2000 (beta).
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Tossed it on an old celeron laptop, very much enjoyable experience. I can see this working out.

Impressed with sleep and reboot times. Out ran by iPhone 4 and Nook Color on reboot and startup time.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    PC509 wrote: »
    I'm ready to buy a tablet just to throw this dev preview on to play with it. Yes, I would spend money on it even if the final is still a year away. That's how us [H]ardcore people do it. We play with new technology. We don't want to be stagnant. We'll have more to offer when it is finally released. We can help end users, as we'll have a very in-depth knowledge of the OS upon release. I've been doing that since Windows 2000 (beta).
    Here you go Mr. [H]ardcore. Please pardon the rest of us. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For a traditional PC, I don't see the reasoning for getting a touch enabled monitor. Maybe I'm just physically weak, but I would get very tired constantly holding my arm up to touch the screen. The concept is nice, but unless it's on a tablet, or on some kiosk I don't see a good use for it.