Options

It's my time: Mrock's CCIE thread

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At about 50 hours now. Been noticeably harder this week. Not necessarily to find time, but to stay focused and study. I have worked really hard to get this job I have now, and lately I've had the urge to relax and not work so hard, and enjoy the fruits of my labor..so to speak.

That being said, my work may be sending me to the INE bootcamp in december. I don't want to take one that soon if I take one at all, but if they're paying, I'll go.

We'll see. That being said, I'm on frame relay. Been limping through the tech labs, mostly because my gear is half put together. Should improve a lot soon..we move into the new house in 2 1/2 weeks!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    At about 50 hours now. Been noticeably harder this week. Not necessarily to find time, but to stay focused and study. I have worked really hard to get this job I have now, and lately I've had the urge to relax and not work so hard, and enjoy the fruits of my labor..so to speak.

That being said, my work may be sending me to the INE bootcamp in december. I don't want to take one that soon if I take one at all, but if they're paying, I'll go.

We'll see. That being said, I'm on frame relay. Been limping through the tech labs, mostly because my gear is half put together. Should improve a lot soon..we move into the new house in 2 1/2 weeks!

I can relate. You dont have a job where you can just do the usual and close tickets, or talk to your buddies and close tickets, or google and close tickets. You have things to think about to get the job done which takes elapsed thinking time and is a drain. Add to which you are busy at home. This weekend I will get no lab hours in as I spend time with my wife and kids. The house move will destroy your study plans for a few weeks. I spent a whole weekend putting up curtains. Get through it. Just study as and when for a couple of months while you bed into that new job. I caution you on kicking back on the new job. Work hard. Opinions about you will be set by Christmas at work. As for TE study troops, I expect a couple on here to have fizzled out by then.

We will come into 2012 with 4 hard core prospects for CCIE next year, plus a couple of lurkers who dont post about progress. The rest will bump to 2013 or never make it.
  • Options
    Wow! I thought I replied to this a while ago. I had a response typed so I'm not sure what happened.

Anyway, you're right Turgon. My job consists of "hot" projects, and putting out fires in a timely fashion. Infact, I don't deal with a ticketing system. Being the only engineer, I'm the go-to guy, which is a blessing and a curse at times.

I've been able to read some on and off, but the moving/home sale process has been very time consuming. We still don't move for another 12 days, and then after that there's the whole getting settled in part. The bright side is, once we move I'll get my rack back together, then I can at least have a dedicated area to study.
  • Options
    Wow! I thought I replied to this a while ago. I had a response typed so I'm not sure what happened.

Anyway, you're right Turgon. My job consists of "hot" projects, and putting out fires in a timely fashion. Infact, I don't deal with a ticketing system. Being the only engineer, I'm the go-to guy, which is a blessing and a curse at times.

I've been able to read some on and off, but the moving/home sale process has been very time consuming. We still don't move for another 12 days, and then after that there's the whole getting settled in part. The bright side is, once we move I'll get my rack back together, then I can at least have a dedicated area to study.

Just keep crawling as and when you can. If you are still blogging in 12 months time you have a shot.
  • Options
    It's been two weeks dude, are you still with us?
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    MRock, I'm also interested in your thread.

I don't comment on every thread that I read here (or, glance at, to see if the post count is increasing or not).

Give us an update?

Thanks!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    MRock, I'm also interested in your thread.

I don't comment on every thread that I read here (or, glance at, to see if the post count is increasing or not).

Give us an update?

Thanks!

Still alive all! Been crazy with the new job. Only 1 1/2 months there and I've been offered the lead engineer position in another portion of the company. Definitely a step up. The downside is, on paper I was hired for the position anyway, so there's no raise associated with it. I'll be doing a lot more design work and projects, so it's going to be a huge increase in workload. Right now I'm probably at 200 hours towards my lab studies (need to update the counter here, but I'm lazy)..but it has definitely slowed down with our new house, the job, etc. I'm predicting in a month I'll be completely back up and labbing...heck, my lab isn't even physically assembled in my office, but instead is in a big pile.

On the brightside, although not labbing, I'm still doing a lot of cool stuff at work, which includes getting exposure to the nexus 7k switches, which I've never done before. More to follow...we're over the hump of moving/new job, just gotta settle down now.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Still alive all! Been crazy with the new job. Only 1 1/2 months there and I've been offered the lead engineer position in another portion of the company. Definitely a step up. The downside is, on paper I was hired for the position anyway, so there's no raise associated with it. I'll be doing a lot more design work and projects, so it's going to be a huge increase in workload. Right now I'm probably at 200 hours towards my lab studies (need to update the counter here, but I'm lazy)..but it has definitely slowed down with our new house, the job, etc. I'm predicting in a month I'll be completely back up and labbing...heck, my lab isn't even physically assembled in my office, but instead is in a big pile.

On the brightside, although not labbing, I'm still doing a lot of cool stuff at work, which includes getting exposure to the nexus 7k switches, which I've never done before. More to follow...we're over the hump of moving/new job, just gotta settle down now.

Congrats on the position (and the new house). Also, those 7k switches are fun to play with. I had installed 2 x Nexus 7010's + 2x Nexus 5548Ps at my previous job. Some awesome stuff there!
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Better pick up the pace bro. I'm blasting through BGP and we all know what happens when I start actively labbing routing protocols. Game on. :)
  • Options
    Better pick up the pace bro. I'm blasting through BGP and we all know what happens when I start actively labbing routing protocols. Game on. :)

I'm gettin' there. No lack in motivation at all, just been crazy busy. I need to buy a 2511, and another switch, then my lab will be good to go for hardware. Doubt I'll make my original lab date, but I'm going to still keep moving forward.
  • Options
    I'm gettin' there. No lack in motivation at all, just been crazy busy. I need to buy a 2511, and another switch, then my lab will be good to go for hardware. Doubt I'll make my original lab date, but I'm going to still keep moving forward.

Its been a while, how are the studies going?
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Its been a while, how are the studies going?

Not much as far as labbing has been done. Just bought a 2511 finally, so waiting on that to arrive, plus another 3550 (one power supply fried, and it just makes more sense to purchase another, considering power supplies on ebay are $80+..and that might not even fix it)

So, I'm gathering all the stuff I need. Once the 2511 arrives it'll be a little more practical to lab. My home office is still a mess from the move, so I'm still working on that too. Got a lot going on between work, family, school..but I'm still hoping for a 2012 attempt if I can get my stuff together in the next 2 months.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I bet you 50 bucks I pass the BGP exam before you pass your CCIE lab...LOL. Get moving bro. I just built out my dynamips box finally. It's not a beast by any means but it should get me through most of the BGP labs. If not, I'll throw a second machine at it...
  • Options
    Not much as far as labbing has been done. Just bought a 2511 finally, so waiting on that to arrive, plus another 3550 (one power supply fried, and it just makes more sense to purchase another, considering power supplies on ebay are $80+..and that might not even fix it)

So, I'm gathering all the stuff I need. Once the 2511 arrives it'll be a little more practical to lab. My home office is still a mess from the move, so I'm still working on that too. Got a lot going on between work, family, school..but I'm still hoping for a 2012 attempt if I can get my stuff together in the next 2 months.

Happy New Year Mrock4, are you still on for it in 2012?
  • Options
    Any update on CCIE progress?
  • Options
    Any update on CCIE progress?

Actually, there is. My new lab is coming together well, and should be completely done within 3 weeks. My work is possibly sending me to a CCIE bootcamp, and I'm planning an attempt for March 2013 (which gives me 12 months from the time my lab is done). I'll be scheduling a date as soon as the lab scheduler goes out that far (currently I'm seeing October 5th as the latest date I can select)

I'll be updating this thread, at this point just searching around for the last pieces of gear I need. My methodology this time is going to be quite different than last time. Lots of labbing, a few workbooks, and that's about it. If I don't go to a bootcamp, that's fine. No "complete CCIE packages" like being offered by the vendors. No offense to them, but I feel they almost distract me from doing what I need to do- labbing. Of course, they'll help you to your CCIE, for a price.

So, here goes nothing...
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Man, you guys got it easy.

Getting sent to a CCIE Bootcamp. I gotta pay for everything out of my own pocket! Not like it'll stop me ;)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Actually, there is. My new lab is coming together well, and should be completely done within 3 weeks. My work is possibly sending me to a CCIE bootcamp, and I'm planning an attempt for March 2013 (which gives me 12 months from the time my lab is done). I'll be scheduling a date as soon as the lab scheduler goes out that far (currently I'm seeing October 5th as the latest date I can select)

I'll be updating this thread, at this point just searching around for the last pieces of gear I need. My methodology this time is going to be quite different than last time. Lots of labbing, a few workbooks, and that's about it. If I don't go to a bootcamp, that's fine. No "complete CCIE packages" like being offered by the vendors. No offense to them, but I feel they almost distract me from doing what I need to do- labbing. Of course, they'll help you to your CCIE, for a price.

So, here goes nothing...

You got it man! I look forward to reading about your progress.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Man, you guys got it easy.

Getting sent to a CCIE Bootcamp. I gotta pay for everything out of my own pocket! Not like it'll stop me ;)

Mrock4 has earned it. I suggest reading his story, he's posted here before. Very inspirational! :)
  • Options
    mrock's posts have helped me in my journey
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Thanks all for the support, it goes a long way.

For whatever it is worth, I told my work in no uncertain terms- with or without their financial support for a bootcamp I will get my number. It'd be nice to go to a bootcamp, but not required.

Up until now, if I was ballparking- including my first round of studies a couple of years ago (and my last lab equipment), I'd say I've invested about $6,000 in this endeavor so far, and by the time it's all said and done will probably be at 8k-9k of my own money.

My lab pretty much consists of the same setup as INE's toppology (1841's, 2610/2611's), with the exception that I'll probably only buy one 3560 and use 3x 3550's.

Also, instead of buying a 2511 like I did last time, I'm going with a Digi CM 32 term server. It allows you to use a regular CAT5 cable to your console ports, so no more octal cables, and that also allows me to cut my cables to fit and make the lab a lot neater. At a price of $40-90 on ebay, that's also a lot cheaper.

Additionally, I think I'm going to nab a used server to store config files on.
  • Options

For whatever it is worth, I told my work in no uncertain terms- with or without their financial support for a bootcamp I will get my number. It'd be nice to go to a bootcamp, but not required.

Up until now, if I was ballparking- including my first round of studies a couple of years ago (and my last lab equipment), I'd say I've invested about $6,000 in this endeavor so far, and by the time it's all said and done will probably be at 8k-9k of my own money.

My lab pretty much consists of the same setup as INE's toppology (1841's, 2610/2611's), with the exception that I'll probably only buy one 3560 and use 3x 3550's.

Also, instead of buying a 2511 like I did last time, I'm going with a Digi CM 32 term server. It allows you to use a regular CAT5 cable to your console ports, so no more octal cables, and that also allows me to cut my cables to fit and make the lab a lot neater. At a price of $40-90 on ebay, that's also a lot cheaper.

Its nice to see you back my friend. It's all good.
  • Options

I use a xyplex terminal server. Back in the day a cisco terminal server would set you back 900 dollars, so I bought xyplex which was much cheaper. The maxserver 1600 is very cheap these days and works just fine for me at home. I crimped my own Cat5e cables for the connections to the consoles.
  • Options
    I use a xyplex terminal server. Back in the day a cisco terminal server would set you back 900 dollars, so I bought xyplex which was much cheaper. The maxserver 1600 is very cheap these days and works just fine for me at home. I crimped my own Cat5e cables for the connections to the consoles.

I liked the 2511, but it was a headache. When I received mine last time, one of the ports were bad, so I had three octal lines which never worked. Then I had a bad octal cable..all of this for $200'ish..not worth it to me. I have high hopes for the digi cm.

It's nice to be back. The CCIE proves to be one of those things which stays with you. Life would be much simpler if I was satisfied with things as they are and had no ambition.
  • Options
    I liked the 2511, but it was a headache. When I received mine last time, one of the ports were bad, so I had three octal lines which never worked. Then I had a bad octal cable..all of this for $200'ish..not worth it to me. I have high hopes for the digi cm.

It's nice to be back. The CCIE proves to be one of those things which stays with you. Life would be much simpler if I was satisfied with things as they are and had no ambition.

It's good to have goals..and a magnificent obsession!
  • Options
    Well, my company's middle to slightly senior management is pushing for my bootcamp, and I should know something soon. It'd be a huge boost to have their support (not only moral, but financial).

In other news, should be ordering the final bits of my gear, and INE workbook package in a week or so. I was lazy, and never really finished unpacking my office, so I'm going to put some motivational stuff up on the walls and get some color in there. I figure if I'm going to spend a lot of hours in there over the next few months, I might as well enjoy it (well, as much as I can).

Can't wait to get the rest of the gear. Been doing a lot of stuff at work that is directly related to the lab. In the last week I've dealt with some odd NTP situations, EEM, Kron jobs, AAA, etc...stuff that I normally don't need to touch. It's great working with the IP services and system management stuff in addition to the other stuff I normally do. It's kind of funny, I've spent more time in the last 2 months doing security tasks (ie: setting up Cisco ACS, configuring Cisco ASA's w/ IPS modules, etc) than I have routing (which is my normal job). I'm not complaining, but it'd be great if I spent more time on tasks which were found in the blueprint!
  • Options
    Looks like my work probably won't pay for the bootcamp. I'll know in a couple of months for sure, but I'm going to plan on them not paying.

On the bright side, I received a promotion today. I'm now the lead engineer. A raise came with it too, so that's always a plus.

More gear has been arriving in. Just missing a switch (one was DOA), and then my term server, and some odds and ends..then my lab is done! Pics will be coming in a couple of weeks once I get it looking nicer. I made all the cables by hand last time, and that's the plan this time again.
  • Options
    Looks like my work probably won't pay for the bootcamp. I'll know in a couple of months for sure, but I'm going to plan on them not paying.

On the bright side, I received a promotion today. I'm now the lead engineer. A raise came with it too, so that's always a plus.

More gear has been arriving in. Just missing a switch (one was DOA), and then my term server, and some odds and ends..then my lab is done! Pics will be coming in a couple of weeks once I get it looking nicer. I made all the cables by hand last time, and that's the plan this time again.

Congrats! Sounds like you're moving right along.
  • Options
    Alright- so my lab (INCLUDING extra gear) now includes:

5x 3550's (one inop)
    1x 3560 (pending sale on ebay)
    1x ASA 5505
    1x 2501
    1x 2522
    3x 1841
    3x 2610XM
    1x 2611XM
    1x Dell 2850 server (for misc testing)
    1x Dell 1750 server (for tftp- image/config storage)

The actual cabling will be identical to INE's topology, and the additional devices will only be added for testing specific features and/or work stuff.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

Yeah, I've been having that discussion as well. They're willing to send me, but they want to use Global Knowledge credits to do it. So while I could get the Cisco 360 training that way, I still think I'd rather go for Narbik's boot camp. What I'm thinking is to see if they'll let me go to Narbik's no excuses boot camp on my own dime, but let me do it on the company's dime timewise. I'd rather not burn all my vacation on a boot camp. I need to have a conversation soon about seeing if I can get access to ASET labs.
This discussion has been closed.