Options

Hundreds of Godaddy accounts compromised and they still don't know how!

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
Hundreds of Go Daddy-hosted sites compromised | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

Wednesday, Go Daddy's Security Team detected that approximately 445 hosting accounts were compromised," said Todd Redfoot, chief information security officer at Go Daddy. "The accounts were accessed by using the account holder's username and password."

Redfoot said he didn't know exactly how the intruder obtained the usernames and passwords, but he said it was most likely malware such as keyloggers or possibly phishing. There did not appear to be a trend in the types of sites compromised, he said.

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmmm my sister was just asking me suggestions about hosting and I was suggesting to her godaddy. Maybe I should continue looking :D
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I use GoDaddy for the site in my signature too, they said they fixed it. Way too many popular companies hacked this year !
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Hmmm my sister was just asking me suggestions about hosting and I was suggesting to her godaddy. Maybe I should continue looking :D
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Seems they need to invest more into data security in less into the sexy Super Bowl commercials.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    Chivalry1 wrote: »
    Seems they need to invest more into data security in less into the sexy Super Bowl commercials.
    But they look sooo hot! Once it is disclosed how it happened, I am sure there isn't a lot they could have done...

Now, with 5 million accounts, 445 accounts is 0.000089%... that is not much at all... But being that number is so low, I am really curious as to how it happened.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I only registered my domain names through GoDaddy, and use their DNS.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is important to remember that GoDaddy cannot protect against the stupidity of its account holders. If you are irresponsible in web surfing and get malware, you are at risk with any account you use online. Malware is a big deal. Most of us know that. I suspect the people with the compromised accounts don't even know what malware is. If there was an issue with the security of GoDaddy, there would have been a much larger compromise that 445 accounts out of 5,000,000 (or whatever the actual number is). People got phished, keylogged, etc...I'm excited to hear the actual details in fact.
  • Options
    idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    Also GoDaddy actually also won an award from SC magazine for the best security team. It is not IF it is when you get compromised how you deal with it that matters.