Options

70-642 exam 9/23

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I have the 70-642 exam scheduled for next Friday. Any advice guys?

Comments

• Options
    rjs_essexrjs_essex Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you know DNS inside out!

Richard :)
    WIP: 70-417, Security+, Project+, CCNA
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck!! Looking forward to the " I passed!" update.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    not only dns but ip6 over ip4
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    RRAS, DFS, RADIUS, Teredo....Site Link Local, Local Link Local...

Whatever you have to do to get Configuring Addressing and Services, Configuring Name Resolution (IPv4 and IPv6), Configuring File and Print Services (especially for Unix)...do that. Those were my strongest areas. Configuring Network Access was more than adequate, but not as strong as the former. My weakest was Monitoring and Managing a Network Infrastructure.

Look forward to a pass, brother!
  • Options
    rjirji Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I seem to recall the majority of the questions on my exam were NAP, WSUS and as mentioned by most posters DNS. Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have to admit that I'm nervous about taking this exam. I haven't had the time I've wanted to study for it.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Best of luck Veritas. I've been prepping for this one and I'm hoping to test first part of October.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    botbot Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Goodluck Veritas!

My 70-642 Exam is scheduled for Tuesday the 27 September next week... im also a bit nervous about the exam, as it will be my first MS Certification...

if you dont mind me asking, how much does the learning material differ from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2 revisions? Reason for asking, the majority of my study material still reflects on the normal Windows Server 2008.

Cheers,
  • Options
    bot wrote: »
    Hi,

Goodluck Veritas!

My 70-642 Exam is scheduled for Tuesday the 27 September next week... im also a bit nervous about the exam, as it will be my first MS Certification...

if you dont mind me asking, how much does the learning material differ from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2 revisions? Reason for asking, the majority of my study material still reflects on the normal Windows Server 2008.

Cheers,

Mine as well, so I can't really comment.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You guys should read R2 material for these exams. Things in R2 are named differently, for example Terminal Services are called Remote Desktop Services, there are some Remote Desktop Settings that did not exist in plain 2008, there is the AD Recycle Bin that has been introduced in R2. When you are taking the exam in a time-pressure situation, these little things can make a difference. Maybe delay the exams by a week or so and read up the differences between plain 2008 and 2008 R2 on TechNet. There are more than a few articles on there to help you out.

Good luck with the exam!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    botbot Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you Essendon! Will try to delay it, otherwise i am looking at a looong weekend :)
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Don't think anyone in here can delay, the new 14 day cancellation/reschedule period puts a damper on that one. Good luck to everyone in this thread, hope to see a few "I passed!" threads.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Don't think anyone in here can delay, the new 14 day cancellation/reschedule period puts a damper on that one. Good luck to everyone in this thread, hope to see a few "I passed!" threads.

Exactly. Are there any PDFs that go through the difference between 2008 and 2008 R2? I will certainly be doing some Googling on this.

edit: I found a 2008 R2 PDF eBook that I forgot I had.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/c/0/5c0bd0ab-040d-4c56-a60b-661001012dda/windows_server_2008_r2_e-book.pdf
  • Options
    Don't think anyone in here can delay, the new 14 day cancellation/reschedule period

OMG really? So you go to wait 14 days after rescheduling/cancelling? What a douche bag idea, so if there's an important exam to take and something urgent comes up at work, you are screwed. WTF Microsoft.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    OMG really? So you go to wait 14 days after rescheduling/cancelling? What a douche bag idea, so if there's an important exam to take and something urgent comes up at work, you are screwed. WTF Microsoft.

Esse, it's not Microsoft, it's Prometric.

They are tacking on a $35 for rescheduling/cancelling within the 14 day period. It's with ANY exam...IT or otherwise.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Esse, it's not Microsoft, it's Prometric.

They are tacking on a $35 for rescheduling/cancelling within the 14 day period. It's with ANY exam...IT or otherwise.

This is an atrocity mate. What's the problem with letting people scheduling and rescheduling?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    This is an atrocity mate. What's the problem with letting people scheduling and rescheduling?

Bro, I'm just as pissed as you are....Prometric was whining about people holding seats or some garbage. I'm pretty sure Vue will end up doing the same thing.
  • Options
    Yeah it's bothering me quite a bit, I'd be considerably more comfortable with an extra week. But i'm gonna give it my best shot, should be just fine, i've got most of the concepts down pretty well.
  • Options
    Well, that didn't go well. Now I have to decide my next plan of attack ;)
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That stinks. What was your score? What areas do you think got you/didn't go so well?
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    Well, that didn't go well. Now I have to decide my next plan of attack ;)
    Yeah same thing on my side as well. Close enough that another week would have been enough. I plan on giving it at least 2 however. Did you do any of the chat sessions with Jason? He suggests the Kaplan practice tests and provided me a document that another student typed up, over 100 pages of notes. Let me know if you'd like it.
  • Options
    rwmidl wrote: »
    That stinks. What was your score? What areas do you think got you/didn't go so well?

I did better on some areas than others, but overall it was a lowsy score which I'm embarrased to show. My strongest area was File and Print Services. The others were not as good, but not terrible. My weakest area was Configuring Name Resolution. Some of the new R2 stuff did throw me for a loop. I'm going to get my hands on the new Microsoft 70-642 R2 exam book. I'm also considering buying a transcender 70-642 practice exam.
  • Options
    Yeah same thing on my side as well. Close enough that another week would have been enough. I plan on giving it at least 2 however. Did you do any of the chat sessions with Jason? He suggests the Kaplan practice tests and provided me a document that another student typed up, over 100 pages of notes. Let me know if you'd like it.

Were those recorded? I never had time to attend any of them.
  • Options
    Were those recorded? I never had time to attend any of them.
    Not sure, I did the one last night with him, wish I had the chance to do one a lot earlier to take a look at the Kaplan info and some other resources.
    Provided equal weighting on the questions I think I missed it by about 3 or so. Although i'll admit I did see a few things on there i'd never seen before, possibly beta questions. Looking at my score sheet it confirmed what I knew going in to the test though, I know i'm strong on addressing, network access. My monitoring and managing a network infrastructure was pathetic but I had it a feeling it would be, still need some DNS brush ups as well, saw some record types that I didn't recall seeing in my book or labsim.
  • Options
    Anyone know if uCertify is updated for R2? The site doesn't really say.
  • Options
    Anyone know if uCertify is updated for R2? The site doesn't really say.
    I don't believe it is, i've also had a rather poor opinion of their practice tests in general. Have had access for most of the certs I have, not once have I found it useful.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear about that, I've heard the R2 material changes things up some.
  • Options
    I did better on some areas than others, but overall it was a lowsy score which I'm embarrased to show. My strongest area was File and Print Services. The others were not as good, but not terrible. My weakest area was Configuring Name Resolution. Some of the new R2 stuff did throw me for a loop. I'm going to get my hands on the new Microsoft 70-642 R2 exam book. I'm also considering buying a transcender 70-642 practice exam.

This is what's been helping me. I'm a supertitious man and I've been following this since my own failure of the 70-640......keep in mind that this is from Jason Jia.....but number 4 seems to have the most validity since I didn't follow that one on my first time....I didn't take care of the adaptive nature of the MS exams.....skipping answers I might not have been sure of was certainly the difference between passing or failing.

You'll get it next time, for sure!

Test-Taking Strategies:

1) When you fill up the survey prior to taking your AHV1 assessment, please indicate you are in the IT industry between 1-2 years and mark all categories of knowledge in Server 2008 (e.g. DNS, DHCP, RRAS, IP Subnetting, and Terminal Services, etc.) to “MODERATE” levels;

2) Please think in Microsoft way when you take Microsoft exams—of all the solutions provided, only Microsoft solutions work BEST (i.e. whether you agree/disagree or whether you like/dislike them);

3) Please trust your first impressions—please do not easily change your initial answer(s) UNLESS you have ABSOLUTE evidence;

4) Please mark your questions on your notepad instead of on the computer whenever possible (please skip the test questions in doubt without picking an answer or marking the questions for reviews on the computer);
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the fail, veritas. As one of the other guys suggested, having R2 in the mix changes things somewhat and you really need to have labbed the material for it to stick in the brain. The exam sure does throw some curve balls in the DNS section and I suggest you lab the crap out of DNS for next time. Read, lab, read and lab!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Sorry to hear about the fail, veritas. As one of the other guys suggested, having R2 in the mix changes things somewhat and you really need to have labbed the material for it to stick in the brain. The exam sure does throw some curve balls in the DNS section and I suggest you lab the crap out of DNS for next time. Read, lab, read and lab!

There is more to Name Resolution than DNS....you might be asked about when to use the HOSTS file as well. (I, of course, can't confirm that...)

In real life, I have to use HOSTS when testing a new content switch that may/may not be in place to production, but we don't want to make it live to other users on the network. That might/might not get asked of you on the exam.