how to get windows xp snort ids installed properly

pretorian2kpretorian2k Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
whos the ids snort master

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    whos the ids snort master

Funny I was just reading a post about a similar post elsewhere last night....

Have you tried the Snort Forums?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I deploy and use snort, but only in a linux environment my friend, so I wouldn't be able to help you with the Windows XP setup.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    No Snort master as you requested, but this should get you started (though there is more to it):

1. Download Snort from:
    www.snort.org/dl/binaries/win32/

2. Install by running the download .exe

3. Download and install WinPcap 3.0 (sniffer):
    http://winpcap.polito.it/install/default.htm

4. Download and install LibnetNT Drivers (required for advanced funtionality only, i.e. injection of TCP reset packets)
    www.eeye.com/html/Research/Tools/libnetnt.html

5. Go to command line (Start, Run, cmd) and navigate to the Bin folder inside the Snort installation

folder (i.e. c:\snort\bin)

6. Run snort.exe to check parameters

7. Run snort.exe /SERVICE /INSTALL with desired options
    (i.e. assign interface, log dir (required, set to c:\snort\log\ for example) /file, log type)
    You don't need to install it as a service btw (i.e. leave out /service /install)

8. After the installation you can find a faq.pdf in the snort\doc\ folder, check out the section How to start Snort as a win32 service?

9. Download and install IDS Policy Manager For Windows 2000/XP (since your running it on Windows, why not use a GUI for the rules :))
    www.activeworx.org/programs/idspm/

10. Have fun!