Options

Home web server on Ubuntu Server 11.04

WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
I am trying to host my own website, because I am tired of paying hosting fee's. Here's what I have done so far:

1. Installed Ubuntu Server (LAMP and OpenSSH)
- local IP address = 192.168.1.112

2. Configured my router to have a static IP address
- public IP address = 24.16.246.232
- set up port forwarding to forward port 80 associated with 192.168.1.112

3. Have a domain name registered at Domain Names, Web Hosting and SSL Certificates - Go Daddy
- "www.gebbey.com" is my domain
- forwarded my domain name to my public IP address (24.16.246.232) with masking

What have I done wrong and what else do I need to do to get this working?

My setup is comcast cable coming into a motorola modem and a linksys router.

Thanks in advance!
Never stop learning.

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    on the server its self can you load the page by going to 127.0.0.1 in a browser?
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    on the server its self can you load the page by going to 127.0.0.1 in a browser?

I'm running Ubuntu Server and don't have a GUI installed, so it's all command line. But on another computer on the same network I can access the website through 192.168.1.112.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Whiteout wrote: »
    3. Have a domain name registered at Domain Names, Web Hosting and SSL Certificates - Go Daddy
    - "www.gebbey.com" is my domain
    - forwarded my domain name to my public IP address (24.16.246.232) with masking
    Your server is resolving to 64.202.189.170, a Go Daddy IP.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Yeah you need to go into Go Daddy's DNS management console from your account, and change the A record for your domain to point to your IP. It may take a couple hours after making the change for people to be able to access the site.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your server is resolving to 64.202.189.170, a Go Daddy IP.

^^ that..

Don't forget to change both records - the "@ and www" record ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I will try that tonight when I get home from work.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's resolving the right IP but your internets is still down bro. I'm thinking it's that Linksys router.
  • Options
    estamandestamand Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Stupid question .. but your IP is a static IP and not DHCP right?

Eric
  • Options
    Well, I configured my router for Static IP and edited /etc/network/interfaces file and changed that to static. I also set my www record to my public IP address, but was unable to change the @ record. I didn't know what to change it to and it keep giving me an error message.

Also now that I am using static I am confused on how to set IP addresses for all my other devices. Such as Xbox, tv, laptops, etc..

I can ping my website from my work computer and it works fine with no problems. But when I go www.gebbey.com, it doesn't work.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    Am I allowed to bump this thread once? Opps to late already did it. Anybody want to educate me on how to properly set up static ip on my home network, in hopes of getting my web server available to the internet.

Thanks.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Whiteout wrote: »
    Am I allowed to bump this thread once? Opps to late already did it. Anybody want to educate me on how to properly set up static ip on my home network, in hopes of getting my web server available to the internet.

Thanks.

That is a question you need to ask your provider. The IP the domain is resolving to is not pingable, and does not have port 80 open from the outside, which means either the IP isn't live, you have firewall rules dropping traffic, or your port forwarding isn't setup correctly. Getting a static IP live differs from provider to provider, so you need to seek assistance from them, or from other customers on their network who have done the same thing.
  • Options
    estamandestamand Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is it possible that your cable/dsl modem IP address has changed? You can check it here What's My IP Address? Networking Tools & More. Have you requested/ordered a static IP address from your internet provider? Most home use DSL/cable internet providers will charge extra for a static IP.