Options

2012 Certification Plans

Comments

• Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    N2IT wrote: »
    If MS technology is your game that 70-680 is a nice one to have. How about the bridge exam for you MCDST? You can get the MCITP with just 70-682. Just a thought, get two for one.

You know, I completely forgot about that damn bridge exam! Mamono mentioned this to me as well, but forgot to write it down!
    Thanks very much for reminding me! +1 for you!
    Now just to find good study material for it -- I believe it is a Vista exam?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    You know, I completely forgot about that damn bridge exam! Mamono mentioned this to me as well, but forgot to write it down!

Research and I shall receive --- Pro: Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

Looks like a Windows 7 upgrade exam. so the 70-682 would count for the 70-680 AND would upgrade the MCDST to MCITP? NICE!

Apologies if I temporarily hijacked this post -- just some proper good news for me!
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2011:

CEH - done
    CITAM (Certified IT Asset Manager) - done
    MBA - on track for November

2012:

CHAMP (Certified Hardware Asset Management Professional)
    CSAM (Certified Software Asset Manager)
    PMP
    MS Information Assurance
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Keep us posted on how you do.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Research and I shall receive --- Pro: Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

Looks like a Windows 7 upgrade exam. so the 70-682 would count for the 70-680 AND would upgrade the MCDST to MCITP? NICE!

Apologies if I temporarily hijacked this post -- just some proper good news for me!

If you go the 682 route, make sure you study the 680 and 685 exam material. Going over 686 wouldn't hurt, either.
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    2012: Network+, Security+, CCNA, CCNA Security.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think my 2011 goals were CCENT, Security+, and CCNA. I passed the CCENT, never got around to Security+, and failed my first attempt at ICND2, then I started a new job and moved to another state so CCNA keeps getting delayed.

CCNA will most likely end up on my 2012 goals with the possibility of Linux+
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Keep us posted on how you do.

Will do! You will most likely see some post saying I PASSED hopefully :)
    Psoasman wrote: »
    If you go the 682 route, make sure you study the 680 and 685 exam material. Going over 686 wouldn't hurt, either.

Thanks for info -- will be studying 680 and 685 material. Hopefully the test is not too hard!
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    tru504187211tru504187211 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MCITP:SA (should just have 646 left by December 2011)
    ITIL v3 Foundation

...BEGIN studying for CISSP.
  • Options
    eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Hopefully I'll pass 70-682 next week so that I'll be able to pursue my CCNA and finish up my BS in MIS in 2012.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Options
    Will do! You will most likely see some post saying I PASSED hopefully :)

Thanks for info -- will be studying 680 and 685 material. Hopefully the test is not too hard!

Pso is our resident Windows 7 expert I'd listen to him.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I'll be finishing my MIS degree in December 11(hopefully.. my advisor quit) and then am hoping to have time in 2012 for my MCITP:EA and SA.

I already got that pesky 70-680 out of the way.
  • Options
    eserfeliz wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll pass 70-682 next week so that I'll be able to pursue my CCNA and finish up my BS in MIS in 2012.

What are you using to prep for the test?
    Pso is our resident Windows 7 expert I'd listen to him.

Thanks for the info -- will hit him up!
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »

I am using the Poulton book to prep for the 70-680, and I see that Darril Gibson has a book out too,that covers the 70-680 and 70-685.
    I will be using Professor Messor's Vids to study, and I am also taking a community college class for it too (for course credit as well). Will also be using the great notes on this site. I have VMWare Workstation 7.1 installed, and will be setting up a Win 2k8 DC along with a Win 7 client.

Anything else you can recommend for the 70-682?
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have mixed feelings about what I want to do next year. WAY to early to decide.

+1 it's just to early for me too. Honestly I would just like to have a IT job, so far most of my energy has been put into looking for an IT job. I average 1 to 2 interveiws a month.

+1 it's just too early for me too. Honestly I would just like to have an IT job and focus on that. It’s harder to get motivated to study, when I can’t even find an IT job. Currently, most of my energy has been put into looking for an IT job. I average 1 to 2 interviews a month.

My plans for 2012 so far are the following:

Creating more connections on Linked In

70-680( this exam is a beast)—I’m currently studying for this exam, but there is so much to learn that I might have to take it in 2012

70-685

70-686

ITILv3( I see more and more job posting asking for this cert)
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    What are you using to prep for the test?

Hey, using the (updated) MS Press 70-680 and the 685 books, and I purchased the 70-682 MeasureUp practice exam.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Options
    Danny boyDanny boy Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2011 - 70-640
    2012 - MCITP SA and CCNA

I would like to progress faster but I am doing a HNC in Computing as well which is eating up most of my free time. Will also try to learn as much about SQL and Exchange as I can.
  • Options
    I have mixed feelings about what I want to do next year. WAY to early to decide.

You make a very good point here.

My boss told me he wanted me to get the PMP so that makes it easy. Believe it or not, besides ITIL V3 foundations, all my certs I did because I wanted to not because I was required.
  • Options
    rjs_essexrjs_essex Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Completed MCITP: EDST, MCITP: EDA, 70-640, 70-642, MOS Outlook and Powerpoint.
    I want to finish MCITP: SA and would like to take Security+ too if I can fit it in what with buying a new house, moving etc etc...

I want to finish the MOS Master by taking the Word and Excel Expert exams. If I don't fit any more MS exams in this year besides 70-646 then I would like to complete the MCITP: EA in early 2012 and then look at doing the Exchange or Virtualization exams. I quite fancy knocking out a few CompTIA exams just for fun including CASP. I'm also considering completeing the MCSA I didn't finish 7 years ago and possibly the MSCE but I'm trying to focus on future technologies rather that dwelling on the past. Oh yes, and I almost forgot, I would really like to dabble in a little Cisco tech so have the CCNA in my sights too!

Richard
    WIP: 70-417, Security+, Project+, CCNA
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You make a very good point here.

My boss told me he wanted me to get the PMP so that makes it easy.
    How's the demand of this cert like in the US, Pat? Opens more doors I guess?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    How's the demand of this cert like in the US, Pat? Opens more doors I guess?

It's up there for sure. I would say more than 90% of portfolio, program, and project management positions require the PMP.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Last year around this time we produced a couple threads on 2011 plans:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/59004-2011-certification-plans.html (Bl8ckr0uter) 10/10/10
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/58374-q4-2010-2011-security-cert-objectives.html (Paul Boz) 9/21/10

How are you all progressing with your certification/degree goals and what does 2012 hold for you? :)

- r2s

2011(Accomplished):
    Security+
    ITILv3
    CISSP
    CCNA
    CCNA:Security

2011 (Planned):
    C|EH (WGU)
    CCNP:Security (at least start on it)

2012 (Planned):
    C|HFI (WGU)
    EDRP (WGU)
    G2700 (WGU)
    CCNP:Security (finish it)
    CCIE:Security (at least dream about it, LOL, but I couldn't take this one seriously until I complete WGU, as this school work takes up SOOOO much of my time ...even more than I spend posting here! :D)

I'm not sold on maintaining the WGU certs, to be perfectly honest. I'm in it for the degree.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Despite all sorts going off this year (job change which has finally got me using my knowledge every single day, and my band is kicking in to life too), I've remained solid on the goals. I'm about 2 months behind on when I wanted to start the CCIE Written, but that should be any day now. The only thing I need to do is find a test centre thats open nearby to take the MPLS exam (my usual one may have disappeared off the radar so this may take some work), and the CCIP is done.

The Written may end up being done by the end of the year, or the beginning of next, depending on how much time I get to work on it. I'm hoping it does so I can get on with the fun part.

My goal for next year? CCIE obviously. I'm optimistically hoping for an attempt next year, but it may end up pushing into 2013. We shall see.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I recently changed jobs and now officially do network security engineering for a network security company doing network security things with security-minded people. I'm not sure if taking SANS 502 / 503 / 504 (and passing the respective exams) this year helped contribute to landing the position (probably not, to be honest), but in my new role I have no time in the foreseeable future to be doing any further certification studies. I barely even have time to crack open the pile of books laying on my desk.

But if I had to guess what I'd want to tackle next year, it'd be:
    • CCNP Security (although I wish I could substitute IPS)
    • GAWN
    • CCNP

While I have others on my list, my efforts beyond these would be much better served reading my collection of infosec books and experimenting with protocol behavior at home.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    SilverGeniusSilverGenius Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well I am aiming to finish my A.A.S Degree in May. I am also looking at refreshing my knowledge of the CCNA over winter break and taking the test. Other than that the new job will keep me busy and I won't have time for anything else except perhaps for a couple of MS certs.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Seems a bit early to be thinking about 2012 icon_smile.gif

But..

CCIP - Finish this in 2011.
    CCDP - 2012
    CCNP Security - 2012
    ITILv3 - 2012 to break up the Cisco stuff.

Should keep me more then busy till 2013.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    2011:

CCNA
    Project+
    CWNA (maybe)

2012:

CCNA: Security (maybe)
    Ham Radio
    First Aid
    TORFL A2
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For 2011: I did complete my MCSE (in May 2011) and acquired my Sec+ before 2011. Did not acquire my MCSE: Sec because of employment and other issues but I will get there. Also I mentioned I would tackle 2008 track exams...did not begin that so I need to get crackin on that

For 2012: I am going to say this time perhaps have completed some Windows 7 exams (680 and another one for Enterprise Desktop cert) and continue onto get my SA. A long shot would be start studying for a Cisco cert but I dont even know where to begin (going the Security route meaning).

We'll see how it plays out
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2011:

MCTS 70-640
    VCP4
    ITILv3 foundation (studying for it)
    VCP5 (maybe)

2012:

VCP5 (if I didn't complete it in 2011)
    MCITP:SA
    MCITP:EA
    Further up ITIL (maybe)
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2011:

MCP
    MCSA

2012:

MCSE (if I didn't complete it in 2011)
    CCNA
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63