Options

2012 Certification Plans

Comments

• Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The Network+, CCENT, and JNCIA all cover the same basic TCP/IP networking information. I'd recommend doing the vendor-neutral Network+ first as a prep for the CCENT and JNCIA, which both contain vendor-specific information.

Hey JD, i read in this forum that someone started on their CCNA and picked up the Network+ along the way. That's why i indented it, as i intend on doing the same thing. I've actually already started my CCENT but stopped, i was doing it at a local TAFE (Australian - Technical College) and i had to stop because of cost vs. time - It was $2000 a semester, far too expensive. That's kinda also why i want to keep down that track :)

What are your thoughts on the Network+ in terms of difficulty and feasibility in doing it at the same time as the CCNA?

Thanks.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    What are your thoughts on the Network+ in terms of difficulty and feasibility in doing it at the same time as the CCNA?

Thanks.

Did your bachelor's cover any basics of things like how computers are put together and basic operating systems theory (A+) or basic networking knowledge (Network+)?

When I took the Network+, I studied for about a week. Same for each of the A+ exams. I'm not sure they're going to be too difficult to you, if you already have a bachelor's in IT systems.
    dontstop wrote: »
    Hey JD, i read in this forum that someone started on their CCNA and picked up the Network+ along the way. That's why i indented it, as i intend on doing the same thing. I've actually already started my CCENT but stopped, i was doing it at a local TAFE (Australian - Technical College) and i had to stop because of cost vs. time - It was $2000 a semester, far too expensive. That's kinda also why i want to keep down that track icon_smile.gif

For $2,000, you could make a pretty good lab wit a couple 3560's (500 each), a couple 3550's (100 each), and at least three 1841's (250 each). Tack on some interfaces and RAM, and you'd be looking at about 2K or so in equipment. Get a self-study kit, and get to it.

I would advise saving the money on the course, and investing it into your lab. You learn so much more. Also, you can emulate routers using dynamips or IOU (if you have access to that). If your program was affiliated with the Cisco Network Academy, then you should also have Packet Tracer access. I have a coworker who said that he earned his CCNA using packet tracer.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    Did your bachelor's cover any basics of things like how computers are put together and basic operating systems theory (A+) or basic networking knowledge (Network+)?

When I took the Network+, I studied for about a week. Same for each of the A+ exams. I'm not sure they're going to be too difficult to you, if you already have a bachelor's in IT systems.

Yep we have, my Degree was Network & System Administration. I've done about 4 electrical engineering subject in which we got to dismantle some of the protocols and looked very deeply into the headers of TCP, UDP, Ethernet Frames... etc. I've done training for A+ and studied the book but never took the exam... had no money at the time icon_sad.gif

Also i've worked in a Computer store as a repair tech for 4.5 years, 1 year as a Level 1 service desk & 3 months as a Jr. System Admin and play around at home a lot with kit... So i have a decent grasp of the concepts from what i have picked up, read about and learnt at University, really want the CCNA to drive the concepts in and i also want to play with some kit :)

The only thing i'm not strong on is subnetting, i know how to do it... i just don't do it enough to remember how to do it without working it out on paper.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I haven't been on the certification-horse for a while now, mainly because of school. I had planned to finish up the MCSE 2003 track, but I think I'll skip that and go right to 2008, (clock's ticking,) and I'll probably finally knuckle under and get some experience on Exchange. I'd also love to get back to the CCNP track at some point, if I can.

Q4 (of 2011) Then 2012 will (hopefully) break down something like this:
    Q1
    • 70-648
    • 70-643 (Start the work, at least. Might go into Q2.)
    Q2
    • 70-647 to complete the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator cert.
    • Start work on 70-662
    Q3
    • Finish 70-662
    • 70-663 to earn MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Q4
    • Finish any certs from above that I'm lagging behind on.
    • Get back to studying for the ROUTE exam or possibly look ahead to whatever new certs Microsoft has for the next version of Server.
    We'll see how it goes, but that's the plan. I'm also looking for a part-time job to help with school expenses, as well as studying for my classes, so it may be a little slower-going than what I've got here.
    Heh, I might be doing this pattern even more out of sequence than I thought. I've been working on the Exchange exam, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, but I've also found myself doing a lot of work with Windows Server 2008 R2 in my new job. Specifically, I've been doing some projects that involve a lot of Remote Desktop Services and IIS work, and I'm about to set up a deployment server. Considering I've already been through most of the CBT Nuggets videos and the prep-material in the 70-643 forum to prep for these projects, I might just put in a week or two of studying right after the New Year and take that exam first, then sneak the 70-662 exam in sometime in late January or early February.

Oh how quickly plans go awry. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    2012: finding some money to invest in certs
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    2012: CCIP....and maybe Linux + just for fun

Will finish CCNP in Feb...so I guess that's in there as well
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Network+ is an entry-level exam and is a good "Intro to TCP/IP networks" cert. But if you are able to tackle the CCENT/CCNA right now, you may want to save yourself some money by skipping Net+. Compare Net+'s exam topics with those of the CCENT/CCNA and you'll see the overlap. I would consider the CCENT itself to be a "Network++" cert.
    The only thing i'm not strong on is subnetting, i know how to do it... i just don't do it enough to remember how to do it without working it out on paper.
    You should also know how to solve subnetting problems as quickly as possible for the Cisco exams.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply :)

I'm happy to go the CCENT, CCNA route - Is the Network+ worth the hassle? Would it not show vendor neutrality?
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    I would advise saving the money on the course, and investing it into your lab. You learn so much more. Also, you can emulate routers using dynamips or IOU (if you have access to that). If your program was affiliated with the Cisco Network Academy, then you should also have Packet Tracer access. I have a coworker who said that he earned his CCNA using packet tracer.

This is very true, we got access to Packet tracer... Very nice bit of software.

In terms of simulators I'm happy to stick mostly to a physical lab, there is just something about having the kit all racked up and being able to make the physical connections that is just so appealing. For anything that i cannot setup in my lab i will use simulation - But i'm not afraid to put money into my lab, hands on experience is something my degree neglected so i'm keen to have an awesome lab throughout my Cisco & possibly juniper tracks :)

Thanks for the advice too man.
  • Options
    Mc5ullyMc5ully Banned Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Trying to knock out my ITIL, Net+, and Sec+ before March/April as I will be actively looking for a new job.

After that, finish my MCITP and get my CCNA at least.
  • Options
    Rockandy79Rockandy79 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Okay my new year is to get some more recognisable exams in IT - I currently have City and Guilds, HE Certificate in computing and half way through a computing degree with the Open University.

I am starting out with 70-270 and then hopefully complete a full MCSA.
  • Options
    RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haven't done any certs since 2008, which was when I finally got my MCDST on XP.

Am working a PC support job at a community college in NC. May do 70-680, then 70-685. I'm not sure about doing that composite exam, 70-682, to get my MCITP, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7. I sure don't seeing anyone make a quick jump to Windows 8 (if it comes out later this year). Still lots of folks on XP, even where I work.
  • Options
    laclac Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Will be attempting to get the CCNP done as well as, dare I say, one or two HP Networking Certs....
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Plan to finish of my MCTS - Windows 7 and my 291 to get my MCSA
    After that renew my CCNA and move on CCNA : S and my ITIL v3

My job will be moving to a outsource company and will wait and see how things develop before i set my Certifications Goals for the remainder of the year.
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    RD28327 wrote: »
    Haven't done any certs since 2008, which was when I finally got my MCDST on XP.

Am working a PC support job at a community college in NC. May do 70-680, then 70-685. I'm not sure about doing that composite exam, 70-682, to get my MCITP, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7. I sure don't seeing anyone make a quick jump to Windows 8 (if it comes out later this year). Still lots of folks on XP, even where I work.

I have a theory that if I do a certification every 2-3 years I stay current in the eyes of my employer or potential future employer. Probably not a bad idea to get one of those done in 2012.

JMHO
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    VCP 5
    70-647
    640-816 (Masters Requirement)
    RHCSA
    GIAC G27000 (Masters Requirement)
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    Goal for 2012
    70-640 (done)
    CCNA by JUNE
    python programming (self-study)
  • Options
    dopenhagendopenhagen Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey all. New to the forums and the IT world, but I'm looking forward to being part of the community and the challenge.

A+
    Network+
    CCNA
    get readmitted to university
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Keeping it fairly light this year. VCP5 next month, MCITP:EA over the spring/summer, and if I keep up the pace I've been going at, I'll be finishing up my coursework for WGU in summer/fall.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Network+
    CCENT

January - ICND2 (30th)
    Feb - A+, Security+
    Rest of year - MCITP:EA, possibly CCNA:Sec, start CCNP testing
  • Options
    FalasiFalasi Member Posts: 115
    2012:
    OSWP
    CISSP (If I didnt pass..)
    CISM (June)
    Finish Master related courses by the end of the year.

If I have extra time:

SFCE ( Once I master snort )
    or
    ICND 1/2
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CCIE lab exam in Belgium later this year.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Still working on the PMP. Reading 10 pages a day :)
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    By the end of 2011 (it could be earlier of course), I plan on being a MCITP:EA. Depending on when I finish, I will probably do the 646 so that I have an SA on top of that. (Just because it's one test). Oh, and Project+ (which I could really do now, but I want to focus on getting 70-642 out of the way for either the rest of this year or by 1/2011). Project+ I will probably do by end of Q1 2011.

IF there is time AND it's not messing with my other studies, I plan on also going for the MCITP: Database Administrator 2008.

OTHERWISE, for 2012, I will throw that in there as well as the Virtualization Administrator one. But the MCITP:EA and Project+ are what I'm definitely going to do for 2011.

This is what I wrote back in the 2011 Certification Plans thread. I was gonna wait until I became an EA to write what I was looking forward to. It's funny because the MCITP:EA was completed just this past Sunday and Project+ was done while we were still in 2010.

I'm going to see if I get the MCITP:SA sometime during this year. I think I can handle one exam and with my EA out of the way, I can concentrate more fully. I can obtain the cert with calm and not with any rush.

The one certification I really do want though is the MCITP: DBA 2008.

Lastly, In spite of my personal 70-643 issues, I may even want to do MCITP:VA at some point this year too, since I have done work with Hyper-V. I'm probably not going to bite on the current deal MS has right now for that.

My main priority will be graduate school, which I start next week. I have to see how I will fit any of those certs into my schedule. What I'm hoping to do is attend whatever class, do whatever tasks the professors hands out, and then perhaps start with one of the above certs and spend some time on them in between my classes. I'm not trying to kill myself either though...but that's my plan for 2012.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edit:

CCNA and maybe CCNA:Security if I'm able to get to it this year.
  • Options
    icmicm Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi. I'm new here.
    So my plan in second attempt to CCIE R&S in Brussels. Before that I'm going to end my CCIP certification (MPLS has left).
    Mirek
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Tentatively, RHCSA. Maybe a Solaris cert if I find an employer that would cover the cost of mandatory Oracle classes.
  • Options
    chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    Network+ (taking today)
    Security+ (follow up cert, hope to have by end of Feb)
    CCNA ( 2 part, been on and off stuffy for past 6 months)

If I am lucky I would like to have the CCNA:Security as well but not crucial if I do not get to it. I know it is a lot planned but it is all related just different levels. Hoping to just get a rhythm going and just knock them out.
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had to hit the ground running when I received my 90 day CCNA expiration notice. I was working on CCNP Route but didn't have the confidence (curse you BGP!!!) that I'd be able to complete it in time. I've been doing security oriented work with Cisco devices and just started a new job as a Security Administrator so I'm working on CCNA Security to renew. After that, it really depends on how far away the next local CISSP test is (being in Hawaii, it's kinda tough to pick up and go to a test in another state) If it's too far away, like Q3 or Q4 of 2012, then I'll probably work on completing my MCSA and upgrading it to MCITP:SA. Otherwise, it's CISSP. Either way, I hope to be back on the CCNP track and have one or two tests done by the end of the year.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    PKPPKP Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I plan to make a lot in this 2012 year. As I will attend SBS 2011 and Microsoft Exchange 2010 classes during the entire year, I plan on taking 70-169 – SBS 2011 and both Exchange exams to achieve MCITP: EMA. As I am almost completely newbie in Exchange I might have some difficulties in this technology but let’s see.

I’m currently studying for 70-640, as I plan to become MCITP:SA by the end of the year or at least really close to that. I’m thinking on the following path: 70-640, 70-642 and finally 70-646.

So,these are my goals for 2012, not in this order ofc:
    -70-169
    -70-662
    -70-663
    -70-640
    -70-642
    -70-646

Maybe they are very pushed, but with effort and study it’s possible.

Time to study now!