Options

Question for WGU.edu Students & Alumni

XeeNXeeN Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm planning on attending WGU to obtain my BS in IT - Network Design & Management. I have no certs currently, and this program looked great because of how many certs I would have at the end.

What do you think is better:

1. Begin attendance without completing any certifications.

2. Complete the least expensive certs before attending, to transfer those in, cancel out some classes, and reduce the total amount of time required to graduate, thus potentially saving money not spent on extra 6 month terms. For example, I could work towards and complete my MCITP:EA. That would cancel out a large number of courses in the degree. It looks to me like completing that series would take between 3 and 6 months easily by themselves, thus costing me $2890 for a term when I could get materials for those certs and train on my own, then spend at least $600 or $750 on tests, plus extra on books. I might be out a little over $1k if you consider books and test costs (assuming I pass within the first or second try).

What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    I think it partly depends on what kind of financial aid you're getting. If, say, a Pell grant is going to end up covering your WGU costs, then you might as well use that and have the test costs and some (or all) of the study materials covered.

There's also the motivation factor. Knowing that you're paying about $16/day to be a student might help you keep your focus.
  • Options
    I went through the FAFSA application process but I don't qualify for any grants. I have a wife, two kids, and a mortgage payment so I have some great things that a lot of my finances must go to first. If I can get subsidized loans I might do that. I'm also going to apply for any scholarships I qualify for.

I do think you're right in that with the money going out, I will definitely have pressure to continue my focus. I'd just like to save any money if possible so that's why I wanted to field opinions from all of you experienced folks on this forum.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am planning on WGU for the BS-IT: Network Admin degree next year in the Spring. I just finished up my AAS degree, which should clear some classes for me. I just did the CIW:Foundations on my own and am working on getting the 640 and 642 exams done. My employer reimburses me for exams I pass, so I should be able to save at least a term by this method.

Since you currently have no certs, beginning now to study for them will help you when you officially start at WGU.
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I am planning on WGU for the BS-IT: Network Admin degree next year in the Spring. I just finished up my AAS degree, which should clear some classes for me. I just did the CIW:Foundations on my own and am working on getting the 640 and 642 exams done. My employer reimburses me for exams I pass, so I should be able to save at least a term by this method.

Since you currently have no certs, beginning now to study for them will help you when you officially start at WGU.

+1, I studied up on Network+ and Security+ before enrolling and whipped them out quickly. The only barrier was I had to prove I could pass the tests in labsim (an online learning tool) and convince the course mentor I was ready.

So study up on what you want to complete quickly and then enroll and let WGU pay for the vouchers.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I had some college and A+/Net+ before I started WGU. I am also taking subsidized loans (I make too much for Pell Grants), but I also receive a WGU scholarship of $600 (see my sig) a term.

I actually preferred to go the WGU route to earn my EA as it puts a gun to my head to get my certs and degree done. If left up to me, I would have just middle-fingered my way into not studying as something would always come up (that's why I'm not an MCSE... :) .)

It is my hope that I now have the discipline to go after big fish on my own, like the Database Administrator: 2008 cert, PMP and maybe even a SSCP/CISSP. However, I'm gonna have to see how that goes as I'm going into an MBA program after I graduate.
  • Options
    You guys have a good point. If I study before hand I can hopefully get a jump on that process. Then when I start I can fast forward to a test. That makes the most sense.
  • Options
    Jourdsh wrote: »
    +1, I studied up on Network+ and Security+ before enrolling and whipped them out quickly. The only barrier was I had to prove I could pass the tests in labsim (an online learning tool) and convince the course mentor I was ready.

So study up on what you want to complete quickly and then enroll and let WGU pay for the vouchers.

Does WGU provide access to labsim?

What other training materials do they provide for the CompTIA and MS Certs? I was thinking about getting the Sybex books.
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    I "studied" for the MCSE for about a year before I enrolled in WGU and guess how many exams I passed before enrolling? Thats right 0.

Now I've completed all the CompTIA exams, have my MCSA and only need to pass 2 more exams for my EA cert. Thats in just 2 years. The motivation factor is huge, its not just knowing your paying money but also that you have to pass by a certain date or you get "not passed" and ruin your SAP.

If you are highly motivated than I would say go ahead and get the certs before hand, but if you are like me and procrastinate it might be better to just enroll.
  • Options
    bdub wrote: »
    I "studied" for the MCSE for about a year before I enrolled in WGU and guess how many exams I passed before enrolling? Thats right 0.

Now I've completed all the CompTIA exams, have my MCSA and only need to pass 2 more exams for my EA cert. Thats in just 2 years. The motivation factor is huge, its not just knowing your paying money but also that you have to pass by a certain date or you get "not passed" and ruin your SAP.

If you are highly motivated than I would say go ahead and get the certs before hand, but if you are like me and procrastinate it might be better to just enroll.

I tend to procrastinate self study about halfway through each cert. I think the pressure will be very helpful for me. Thanks for your example.
  • Options
    SpaCeTraNceSpaCeTraNce Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WGU provides access to Labsim/TestOut for CompTIA and Microsoft certifications. I just realized that i have access to Ucertify for my 70-646 test. I might have access to Ucertify for 70-640 and 70-642 but didn't check.

I have a wife and 1 child but my income is fairly low, therefore the Pell Grant pays for about 90% of tuition, the rest comes out of pocket. The resources are fairly good. I ALWAYS use more than one resource when studying for an exam. Labsim's material for 70-640 is a good start but does not seem to go into the detail that the test can throw at you. I passed using Labsim, MS press books and transcender online. The transcender was the resource that REALLY got into the nitty gritty details.

I also built a Intel I5 computer with 8 GB of ram which has enabled me to setup labs and run 3 servers at once.

WGU also give you access to VMware software (for 1 year) and MS Dreamspark. Dreamspark gives you access to Server 2008 and other cool stuff.

I am fairly good at self motivating but have found that pressure is the best motivator. What I do is schedule the test before I start studing. Having the test on the schedule forces me to study and give me a deadline to shoot for. Because I have set a good pace my WGU mentor basically lets me do what I want.

All in all I am a fan of WGU and found that it really fits me. I work full time, my son was born 6 days after I have started my 1st term. Im 2 months into my 3rd term and have completed 60 of the required 109 credits. I will have earned my degree between the hours of 10 and 2... without occurring any debt... and will hopefully be able to provide a better future for my family.

WGU may not fit all personality types and specific situations, but it works for me...

Rick
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback and information.

I begin class November 1st, 2011.

So far I'm cranking through an A+ ebook from Pearson. I'm on schedule to finish that this Saturday, then I will be finishing reading Pearson's Network+ book on October 31st. I've been holding myself to a certain page count per day and that has been working well. I hope to take the practice exams to show my mentor and myself that I'm ready to take those tests. I then plan on continuing to power through whatever else I can get my hands on.

You mentioned VMWare software. Do you get a copy of VMWare workstation?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    XeeN wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback and information.

I begin class November 1st, 2011.

So far I'm cranking through an A+ ebook from Pearson. I'm on schedule to finish that this Saturday, then I will be finishing reading Pearson's Network+ book on October 31st. I've been holding myself to a certain page count per day and that has been working well. I hope to take the practice exams to show my mentor and myself that I'm ready to take those tests. I then plan on continuing to power through whatever else I can get my hands on.

You mentioned VMWare software. Do you get a copy of VMWare workstation?

Yes.

I really liked the A+ book from Pearson. Very well written.