Ordering custom built PC's online?

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
This is for someone else, as I would simply build my own.

Do you guys know of any sites online that build custom PC's? I'm not referring to a site like Dell or HP. One my brother used was http://www.ibuypower.com

Anyone have any experience with similar sites?

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Not as custom as you are probably looking for, but definitely good-looking: www.alienware.com
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Tiger Direct has some good deals. Lots of different base systems, and then you can customize a bunch of options. Good service too.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    site is being worked on, (works better with IE) but www.athomepc.net does this type of stuff.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    site is being worked on, (works better with IE) but www.athomepc.net does this type of stuff.

I couldn't imagine anyone actually paying some of those prices.......$80 just to install the OS, and you have to supply the CD, or pay extra....$299 for an annual contract to "clean" your pc 6 times a year.....wow, I should have thought of that.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    /usr wrote:
    This is for someone else, as I would simply build my own.

Do you guys know of any sites online that build custom PC's? I'm not referring to a site like Dell or HP. One my brother used was http://www.ibuypower.com

Anyone have any experience with similar sites?

The only place I can honestly recommend for GOOD pre-built PC's is Dell.

The site you mention above, while they may have a flashy chassis, look at the configurations....256MB ram?? ATA 100 HDD?? Come-on.
    CDRW?? A DVD-RW (dual burn) is under $100 now.

Tiger Direct - I highly DO NOT recommend. Many people like them, so judge for yourself. I have been less than satisfied with service from them. Frankly, I haven't purchased from them in at least two years....so things may have changed....Little biased yet...kind of like not using WD HDD ever again!

Alienware gets a lot of hype. I have not used them, again, watch the configurations.

Even Dell and that other company (g@tew@y) will show cheap low configuration boxes at a deal, and you pay over $1000 when you are finished.

If you cannot build it yourself (or for them)... have them write out the specs and compare side-by-side. Certainly buying a configured system can be more efficient. Be certain it is a 'Deal' to you though. :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    Tiger Direct - I highly DO NOT recommend.
    LOL...I see so much Tiger Direct bashing the last few years. Personally, I have had zero problems with them, they get the parts to me fast and not one has been wrong or failed. Might just be me though. Anyway, I'd say just go get a barebone system from wherever then add the parts later. My 3.15325343358388349374 cents.
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    reloaded wrote:
    Tiger Direct - I highly DO NOT recommend.
    LOL...I see so much Tiger Direct bashing the last few years. Personally, I have had zero problems with them, they get the parts to me fast and not one has been wrong or failed. Might just be me though. Anyway, I'd say just go get a barebone system from wherever then add the parts later. My 3.15325343358388349374 cents.
    plantwiz wrote:
    Tiger Direct - I highly DO NOT recommend. Many people like them, so judge for yourself. I have been less than satisfied with service from them.

That is why I included the second sentence. I purchased thousands of dollars worth of hardware each year and the times I have ordered from them have proven unreliable. I do know others love them. I just cannot afford to trust their service until all my other vendors fail me :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    That is why I included the second sentence. I purchased thousands of dollars worth of hardware each year and the times I have ordered from them have proven unreliable. I do know others love them. I just cannot afford to trust their service until all my other vendors fail me :)
    It's all good. I just buy from them cause their decently cheap. Not as cheap as what Pricewatch.com tracks with all those sites, but oh well. Gotta do what's best for you and find the hardware that costs the least, with the best performance. That's the name of the game.

I know people up top said buy custom from Dell. Well, if you want to upgrade at a later date, I would HIGHLY recomment to not order from a major company. The thing is, the cases and some hardware can/will be propietary, thus you cannot upgrade most things except for maybe RAM or the hard drive. I've experienced too many family computers or friends' computers that couldn't be upgraded because HP or Dell made their own stuff, forcing you to buy a new computer instead of upgrading individual parts. icon_evil.gif
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • sacredtheorysacredtheory Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□