Options

New free VM backup cert

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
For those interested in VM backups there is a new free cert. Since I work with this everyday I took the test without watching the videos and got an 80%. Even if you don't have experience in this are you can watch a few videos and easily gain some new knowledge. Again, this is something new that may not be of much value for the seasoned professionals but may help those starting out pad those resumes.

Backup Academy - Training & certification for IT professionals

"The Backup Academy Certification acknowledges the recipient's proficiency in virtual machines' backup technologies and best practices.

Those who pass the exam will be Backup Academy Certified Expert. Certified Experts receive a badge on their Backup Academy account and certification snippet that can be posted to a website or blog.

To get certified in Backup Academy, the recipient must pass online exam with a score of 75% or higher. It contains 30+ questions and checks your competency on virtual machines' backup. You can take a test anytime and save your results. If the test is completed successfully you will be able to get your snippet and your Backup Academy Certificate. In case you didn't pass the test you can watch our trainings videos and try once again. "

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My knowledge of VM's is limited to Workstation, but I took a crack at it anyway. 33 questions 57%

Most seemed googleable but why bother? No sense having the cert if I don't know the stuff.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    For those interested in VM backups there is a new free cert. Since I work with this everyday I took the test without watching the videos and got an 80%. Even if you don't have experience in this are you can watch a few videos and easily gain some new knowledge. Again, this is something new that may not be of much value for the seasoned professionals but may help those starting out pad those resumes.

Backup Academy - Training & certification for IT professionals

"The Backup Academy Certification acknowledges the recipient's proficiency in virtual machines' backup technologies and best practices.

Those who pass the exam will be Backup Academy Certified Expert. Certified Experts receive a badge on their Backup Academy account and certification snippet that can be posted to a website or blog.

To get certified in Backup Academy, the recipient must pass online exam with a score of 75% or higher. It contains 30+ questions and checks your competency on virtual machines' backup. You can take a test anytime and save your results. If the test is completed successfully you will be able to get your snippet and your Backup Academy Certificate. In case you didn't pass the test you can watch our trainings videos and try once again. "

Thanks for posting. Going to try the test a bit later in the week, but seems like it should be fairly easy. Always nice to get a free cert with some free knowledge! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took this test and passed. I did watch all 8 videos. The videos had some really good information in regards to backup in general, VMware & Hyper-V specifics, and VSS. I think it is good to watch the videos regardless if you are a beginner or experienced. They are good review for those experienced with data protection.
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Do any of you guys consider this to be a legitimate cert? I took, and passed, the test...but if I put this on my resume I feel like an employer would laugh at me.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SrSysAdmin wrote: »
    Do any of you guys consider this to be a legitimate cert? I took, and passed, the test...but if I put this on my resume I feel like an employer would laugh at me.

I think the training is worth it if you work with the stuff. I plan on watching the videos and taking the test this weekend. I will add it to my 3 page all inclusive resume that I had on monster but wouldn't put it on one I give to an employer unless the job was included doing VM disaster recovery. Even then it isn't really a well known name and may require some explaination but I would still probably use it.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Noticed how the logo looks similar to the VCP ones :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Started the questinaire on accident .. hit "start to get certified" which I thought starts the videos but it was the exam ... passed with 83% ...never worked with Hyper-V mind, wich I think were the ones I failed lol ... quite a few questions repeating itself (just slightly differently) ...

Whether it is worth it or, who knows .. got it, saved the certificate and moved on lol ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p