whats a good investment now a days??

Anyone have experience in investing

?? Stocks??
Property??
Gold??

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I have experience investing in education. I've invested about 35k. I'm doing well off of that investment.

I don't have enough spare cash to look into other investments at the time.
  • Options
    kerxkerx Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jakecitrix wrote: »

?? Stocks??
    Property??
    Gold??

Some techno peeps I have worked with, enjoy investing in Forex. They do well, esp. because they have a good background in Math. I have no idea how to do it though.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is a hugely advanced topic and asking on an IT forum (even in off topic) probably isn't an appropriate place. There are volumes of books dedicated to this question.

If you are looking to blindly make an investment based on a few IT guys beliefs, my savings account appears to be a good place ;)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    If you are looking to blindly make an investment based on a few IT guys beliefs, my savings account appears to be a good place ;)

Best thing I've heard all week!! Nice one.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm no expert, but my seven shares in Cisco have gone up in value since I purchased them :D. I put $20 in my ing account every pay-period and when it gets to a high dollar amount, I buy some stocks. (everything else is 401K)
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    <DOW drops 280 points today>

I'd have been better off buying beer and recycling the cans.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nothing at the moment. Keep your money in a bullet proof bank for now or at home. Inside 2 years the Euro will tank. Everyone will get hurt.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been reading that you can make money by shorting the Euro. Obviously, I Google the meaning and I am lost lol. Only thing I've got is an emergency fund in an ING Savings Account. Focusing on paying off debt at this point and plan on working till I die.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought this topic was going to be about cisco hardware, PC's or at least something IT related. This thread is a flop.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I thought this topic was going to be about cisco hardware, PC's or at least something IT related. This thread is a flop.

Same here. I expected either a Cisco or vSphere lab discussion
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Guns. Food. Toilet Paper.
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    *walks in*
    Actually, gold is always stable, and while it dipped today, it is expected to make a recovery and might be worth $2k an ounce by the end of the year.
    *walks out*
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    jakecitrix wrote: »

?? Stocks??
    Property??
    Gold??

Yourself.

By improving yourself, you can make a direct impact on your income-earning potential, as well as how well you get along with others.

If you're going to take wild it-forum advice, I can get you started on lendingclub, PM me if you're interested. The mathematics aren't in your favor for it, though, unless you're willing to put a few K into it. (Just due to the fact that a default on a smaller account hurts more than a default within a larger account .... the larger the account, the more the statistical averages come into play, whereas the less spread out the risk, a single default could really hurt you.) There, I've given you fair warning in advance.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I signed up/became legally bound to this one life changing asset 9 years ago. Over time, it produced 4 more mini life changing assets. However, I find myself being forced to constantly invest more in them daily. Then again, they have grown slowly over the years. A good financial bonus, is a very slight bump on my tax return ever year when those assets are claimed. That is short lived since it also seems to be the time of the year when I have to pay a substantial annual surcharge to maintain the original asset's good standing.

But enough about my wife and kids.....
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    jakecitrixjakecitrix Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lol i mean a real investment
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Nothing at the moment. Keep your money in a bullet proof bank for now or at home. Inside 2 years the Euro will tank. Everyone will get hurt.

You always have a negative remark about everything, why is it so ? The other comment is cisco tanking, disappearance of I.T jobs, then you said ccie is loosing value, now euro tank in 2 years, I could go on and on. I really don't like posting again, I just read peoples comments. But your post are really negative. Get a grip on that. I got families(brothers) in London living a good life. I don't know what your situation is, but if things are tough around you doesn't mean they will be tough for others.

Back to the OP....Things are for sale these days, interest rate is incredibly low. If you have the money to spend this is the right time to buy.
    I bought BofA when it was almost $3 in 2008, and people told me it was a dumb move. An investor takes risk and live with it.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stocks: You may lose all your money,
    Property: You may lose all your money,
    Gold: You may lose some of your money,
    Forex: You may lose all your money and go bankrupt,

what Bl8ckr0uter said

Some say food is the next big thing, but again You may lose all your money.

How much money are you talking about?
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Even in an uncertain economy, two things seem to be solid investments: Condoms, and alcohol.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, all I can say is make wise choices. To me, whether the market goes up or down you can still make $$$$ if you know what you are doing. Trust, reading books will not help, you have to get out and do....not without the proper education though. People BLOW UP their accounts because of lack of knowledge and emotion while trading whether they are investing in Stocks, Forex, Futures, Options, etc....even their 401K. I've made money recently by evening changing my investments in my 401K (the little I have in there...lol)
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    Even in an uncertain economy, two things seem to be solid investments: Condoms, and alcohol.

That was really cool...lol
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    joneno wrote: »
    You always have a negative remark about everything, why is it so ? The other comment is cisco tanking, disappearance of I.T jobs, then you said ccie is loosing value, now euro tank in 2 years, I could go on and on. I really don't like posting again, I just read peoples comments. But your post are really negative. Get a grip on that. I got families(brothers) in London living a good life. I don't know what your situation is, but if things are tough around you doesn't mean they will be tough for others.

That's a comment you could have sent in a PM. Stating things like won't help. You obviously have not read all of Turgon's posts
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm surprised this thread has lasted this long.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□

+1 and in that order to. Atleast for me it is.
  • Options
    What would b a good thread is a first time gun buyers guide. My birthday is on November 22 and my wife has approved me getting (1) gun. I don't know what I should get. I think I want a handgun a first. Maybe....
  • Options
    What would b a good thread is a first time gun buyers guide. My birthday is on November 22 and my wife has approved me getting (1) gun. I don't know what I should get. I think I want a handgun a first. Maybe....

If you want a sweet gun right off the bat look at a semicustom to full custom 1911. Really depends on what $$$ you have to spend. I have a Springfield TRP which ran about $1480 after tax and I love it. In my opinion 1911's are the best guns out there depending on the brand you buy. I also have a Springfield EMP as my concealed carry gun and a Sig tactical ops .40cal as my competition gun. <- Bought this one cause it comes with 4 high cap magazines, beavertail grip, and has a magwell built into the grips. Thats all the pistols I have right now. I have some rifles but thats a different story. Either way look at Springfield 1911's and see how you like them.

If you have any questions on what to look at or what is good out there and not so good let me know. I am more than happy to help
  • Options
    My budget is way way smaller than that probably a couple hundred (gotta save for the other two investments lol). I was thinking of a targus judge or something just so I can get use to having a gun. There is suppose to be a police auction coming up but I don't know about that.
  • Options
    My budget is way way smaller than that probably a couple hundred (gotta save for the other two investments lol). I was thinking of a targus judge or something just so I can get use to having a gun. There is suppose to be a police auction coming up but I don't know about that.

The Judge is a pretty good gun. Depends on what you want your first gun to be though. Do you want a revolver or a semi-auto? The Springfield XD-M is a great gun that is in the price range of a Judge. There is also the S&W Governer that compares to the judge.
  • Options
    MOd's feel free to split this off.

Truth be told I really want a revolver like dirty hairy (I know that is a terrible reason). But I worry about reloading speed and suck (just in case I have to use it since I do live in a very hood city).
  • Options
    Well Ruger has some nice revolvers and so does S&W. The judge is about the only Taurus I would think about buying. My wifes dad bought a Taurus revolver and what a hunk of junk. This seems to be common among just about all of their guns they make. If you want a decent revolver then look at Ruger as they cost less than S&W
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    MOd's feel free to split this off.

Truth be told I really want a revolver like dirty hairy (I know that is a terrible reason). But I worry about reloading speed and suck (just in case I have to use it since I do live in a very hood city).

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about reloading speed (you can get quick loaders for revolvers though). When do you hear of gun fights lasting long enough to worry about that? If they do, you most likely have a bigger issue on your hands.

If you need to work on accuracy, you should also pick up a decent 22 to do target practice with, as the rounds with cost next to nothing to put down a few hundred a week/month. You can also looking into reloading them yourself for much cheaper, but it does cost a little up front for the equipment to do it. Check with your local police department, as some will sell their spent brass, as they can't reload, so you know its only been fired once.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration