Help with installing Win2003 x64 on Hp Microserver

mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am having issues installing win 2003 server x64 on my HP Microserver server. If I load the default optimal BIOS which then enables AHCI then the OS does not recognise the HDD on installation. If I disable AHCI, then the computer freezes or takes more than 2 hours before it reboots after the blue screen stages. If I force it to restart it hangs on 19minutes during the installation and takes over 5 hours to complete the remaining 19 minutes and it also shows that it has some Drive write access failures.

I managed to install Win 2003 x86 with no problem but it is just the x64 I am having problems with.

I currently have no other extra added to the server besides the 8Gig memory and the 2 extra HDD and here are my specs below.

- Ultra micro tower
- AMD Athlon II Neo N36L / 1.3GHz
- 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM
- HDD 1x 250GB 1x 500GB 1x160GB all sata drives

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ah, someone else went for the cashback deal ey :)

Just got mine today too although I am running 2008R2 without issues .. I did install the new bios though (July 2011) so it might be worth upgrading .. and also check HP's site whether you can find an F6 driver for 2003 .. I can only see the RedHat or 2008/R2 ones so not sure what to suggest tbh.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I looked on the HP website and also phoned them when I got mine and they said they do not support it on any other OS besides those listed on the website. I need to use it for my MCSA studies and I was hoping I had found a good small server to run Win 2003 and a few VM but now if I upgrade to 2008 I will not be able to use it for what I need it for.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mishy wrote: »
    I looked on the HP website and also phoned them when I got mine and they said they do not support it on any other OS besides those listed on the website. I need to use it for my MCSA studies and I was hoping I had found a good small server to run Win 2003 and a few VM but now if I upgrade to 2008 I will not be able to use it for what I need it for.

Hyper-V or ESXI would do the job .. for example, I wanted to use it as ISCSI storage (using 2008R2) but some of my applications don't work on server platforms... I now added the Hyper-V role and installed Windows 7 on it for the desktop applications. CPU isn't great on that HP box but it is good enough for my work load .. probably good enough for study purposes as well - ESXi works for up to 32GB of Ram so perfectly suitable for your micro server.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p