Options

How to answer this question and How should I handle a recruiter

movingupmovingup Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Sorry for the long post, but it is an important step for me

I have been contacted by a recruiter for a IT help desk management position about 150 miles from me that I applied for. I phone interviewed with him and gave him a couple of references. He called the references and asked basic questions followed by a phone interview that was supposed to be this coming Monday. Later in the day he calls and asks if I can phone interview that night so I did. Met with the client via phone and interviewed with 1 director and the person I would be replacing.

Fast forward to the next day(yesterday) he calls and states they want me to come up for a in person interview yesterday or today. I tell him I will not be able to and we settle on next week where he states I will interview with 6 different people and they are "fast tracking" me through the process

He says the question I should be prepared to answer is "why do you want to relocate". I believe this is easy enough to answer.... It isn't that I wanted to relocate. The position sounded like a great fit and because of that fit I am willing to relocate? What do you think?

Also the recruiter stated it was between me and one other person and that they prefer me as my management exp is more in line with there company(smaller). How much should I listen to the recruiter on this? My guess is he is shoving potential people down the throat of the direct hire company.

The pay is about 60% more than I make now with potential to be well more than that after a couple of years

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Recruiters can be a serious PITA sometimes. I am dealing with one right now that I have worked with in the past. It is an odd situation, but it is like the guy doesn't increase his professional network, as he only has openings from one guy... this guy used to be an IT manager for a local company and offered me a position that I passed on twice before through this recruiter. The first time I really wanted the job but there was an opportunity that I could get promoted at the job I was at... but it didn't happen. The second time was because I started a new job and knew that based on the previous time that I wanted to stay at my current job. Anyhow, the guy says that I should be prepared to respond to similar questions... like why I want to be considered for the job... Uh... you contacted me and the guy hiring already knew that... and he calls me non-stop and doesn't contact me by the appropriate means for the time of day...

It is just the way the game works... sorry to say.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro