Options

AD-DS vs. dcpromo

LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
The Microsoft Self Pace Training Book says that Microsoft emphasizes the role-based model, so I should install AD-DS and then run dcpromo. Is there any advantage to doing that rather than just running dcpromo by itself? Also, is there a scenario where I would want to install and run AD-DS without running dcpromo?

Thanks!
Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
Currently Working On: Security+
2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    It is up to you. If you install the role then you have to run DCPROMO anyway. Alternatively, you can just run DCPROMO and it will detect the AD-DS role is missing and will install it. It will save you a few clicks.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dcpromo will install the ADDS role if it's not already installed. It's kind of funny, dcpromo won't even prompt you if you want the role installed, it will just do it immediately after it starts.

I don't think there's an advantage to do it one way versus another, and I don't think you'd need the ADDS role on a machine that's not going to be a DC. In some cases you'd probably want the ADDS management tools on a non-DC, but you don't need the ADDS role for that.

I guess if you were going to deploy an image to a bunch of servers that are going to be DCs, you could save a bit of time by adding the ADDS role (and other necessary roles, e.g. DNS) in the image, but that's kind of a stretch... most roles, including ADDS, install really, really fast on 2008 R2 SP1 (pre-SP1 some of them took their sweet time).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I couldn't figure out why you would want to install AD-DS without Dcpromo, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something for the exam. When installing my servers, I always go right to Dcpromo.

• Options
    Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At the end of the day each Network Admin develops its own practices and steps of completing procedures. Whether is server deployment, desiging an active directory infrastructure, a network infrastructure, etc.
    The book just shows you/teaches you 'Best Practice'
    As you get more into many practices you'll find several ways to completing a task from the 'book' point of view and then you'll find a shorter way as well...
  • Options
    I have installed quite a few 2008 domain controllers and always just run Dcpromo. I just wanted to make sure for exam purposes that doing it that way will be OK.

Thanks,

--Hank

• Options
    GaberGaber Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How to Install Active Directory on Windows Server 2008
    In Windows Server 2008, unlike previous server operating Systems, there is an additional step that needs to be taken before running DCPROMO to promote the server to Domain Controller and installing Active Directory on it. This step is the installation of Active Directory Domain Services (AD-DS) role on the server. In fact, the AD-DS role is what enables the server to act as a Domain Controller, but you will still need to run DCPROMO the regular way.
  • Options
    Gaber wrote: »

That is why I posted the question in the first place. I always just run dcpromo, however the MS Press Self Paced Study Guide says that Microsoft recommends installing the AD DS role before running dcpromo because Windows Server 2008 servers are role-based. I personally don't see where it matters because dcpromo will install the role if it isn't already installed, but for exam purposes I am hoping to get some clarification.

Thanks,

--Hank

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Lunchbocks wrote: »
    That is why I posted the question in the first place. I always just run dcpromo, however the MS Press Self Paced Study Guide says that Microsoft recommends installing the AD DS role before running dcpromo because Windows Server 2008 servers are role-based. I personally don't see where it matters because dcpromo will install the role if it isn't already installed, but for exam purposes I am hoping to get some clarification.

Thanks,

--Hank

Someone asked the other they what we meant by "the M$ way". This is a perfect example.
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    With Windows Server 8 "the MS way" is now the only way. So it seems in the Developer Preview. The dcpromo command no longer works and now you get a message saying to use Server Manager or something along those lines, I don't recall the actual wording of the message.

I've always just run dcpromo myself.
  • Options
    GaberGaber Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The key part I wanted to highlight was this:

In Windows Server 2008, unlike previous server operating Systems, there is an additional step that needs to be taken before running DCPROMO to promote the server to Domain Controller and installing Active Directory on it.

This is from a Microsoft MVP. As we know, dcpromo does work, although from memory I believe you wont get any AD tools on the DC if you only run dcpromo.
  • Options
    ArmannArmann Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I always just run dcpromo, it never made any sense to me, first install ad-ds role then run dcpromo when you can just run dcpromo ? :)