Options

Microsoft Server 2008 quick question

hi
I’m starting to study the MCITP 70-640, is there any virtual Server 2008 on the web to download, I just finished the Cisco CCNA, and I used the Packet Tracer, it was great so I didn’t have to get all the switches and routers, so my question is if I can get the same kind of virtual server so I won’t have to go out and buy them,
thanks a lot

Comments

• Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    The only Virtual Labs that I have seen was from Microsoft's online courses and those were so so not enough to learn what you need to know to pass.

If you don't want to spend any money you can get something like Virtual Box or use Hyper-V it comes with Server 2008 R2. If you don't have a way to get a copy of Server 2008 R2 you can get the trial version and use it for 120 Days then you can rearm it giving you another 120 Days.

If you have a student ID you can get a free copy of 2008 R2 from Dreamspark.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    solnsusiesolnsusie Member Posts: 128
    Krunchi wrote: »
    The only Virtual Labs that I have seen was from Microsoft's online courses and those were so so not enough to learn what you need to know to pass.If you don't want to spend any money you can get something like Virtual Box or use Hyper-V it comes with Server 2008 R2. If you don't have a way to get a copy of Server 2008 R2 you can get the trial version and use it for 120 Days then you can rearm it giving you another 120 Days.If you have a student ID you can get a free copy of 2008 R2 from Dreamspark.
    Thanks a lot!I sew something mentioned from VMware.com a free download of a virtul server, do you know anything about it??
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have been using Virtual Box and it works fairly well. Free, too.

VirtualBox

You can get a trial version of Server 2008 to play with.

Try Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Trial

Make sure you have a separate drive to store your Virtual Machines. They can take up a lot of space, especially if you have several machines and are taking snapshots.

Virtual Labs:

TechNet Virtual Labs
    Microsoft | Server Cloud Platform | Online Trial
  • Options
    sherrillsherrill Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    solnsusie wrote: »
    Thanks a lot!I sew something mentioned from VMware.com a free download of a virtul server, do you know anything about it??

They have VmWare Player, I use it to set up my servers and it has done me well.

VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I use ESXi loaded on to a dedicated server. Not terribly difficult to do, but does require a few tweaks to get everything where you need it to be.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    rjs_essexrjs_essex Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I currently have VMWare Server 2 running on my computer at home and have multiple virtual machines running on it... Didn't take to long to figure out the settings and configuration to have them up and running for some lab work and PowerShell scripting...

Richard icon_cool.gif
    WIP: 70-417, Security+, Project+, CCNA
  • Options
    rjs_essex wrote: »
    I currently have VMWare Server 2 running on my computer at home and have multiple virtual machines running on it... Didn't take to long to figure out the settings and configuration to have them up and running for some lab work and PowerShell scripting...Richard icon_cool.gif
    Do I need for the VMware a real copy of server 2008? Or does it comes with the program? I'm totally new to this, I have a copy of a real server 2008from my job, do I need it in order to run this virtual servers? Or ones I'm runing this vertual server I don't need this copy, Thanks a lot
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I have been using Virtual Box and it works fairly well. Free, too.VirtualBoxYou can get a trial version of Server 2008 to play with.Try Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 TrialMake sure you have a separate drive to store your Virtual Machines. They can take up a lot of space, especially if you have several machines and are taking snapshots.Virtual Labs:TechNet Virtual LabsMicrosoft | Server Cloud Platform | Online Trial
    Is virtual box a virtual server or virtual pc?
  • Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    This is what I did and I hope it'll help you. I built a PC 64bit quad core and 8 gb ram, then installed Server 2k8 R2. From there, install the role of Hyper-V. From Hyper-V, this is where you built your virtual machines.
  • Options
    solnsusie wrote: »
    Do I need for the VMware a real copy of server 2008? Or does it comes with the program? I'm totally new to this, I have a copy of a real server 2008from my job, do I need it in order to run this virtual servers? Or ones I'm runing this vertual server I don't need this copy, Thanks a lot

Yes you will need a copy of Server 2008 (an .iso in fact) but you can download a trial version from Microsoft that will give you up to 180 days of licence...

Theoretically you could use the copy you have from work but what you then wouldn't have is a licence to use it...

Richard icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rjs_essex wrote: »
    Yes you will need a copy of Server 2008 (an .iso in fact) but you can download a trial version from Microsoft that will give you up to 180 days of licence...

Theoretically you could use the copy you have from work but what you then wouldn't have is a licence to use it...

Richard icon_cool.gif

You can also extend that 180 days if you need to: How to extend the Windows Server 2008 evaluation period

If you set up a VMware Server, you can use the single iso of the trial and set up numerous servers. For instance, I currently have 3 2008 servers running on my VMware esxi 4 server. When I do another lab, I can use one of those or I can install another server from the iso. Once I am done I can simply delete the server I just installed, or continue using it for future labs. I know this seems like a lot of work, but I am getting a lot of practice installing the OS.

hth.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    Lunchbocks wrote: »
    You can also extend that 180 days if you need to: How to extend the Windows Server 2008 evaluation period

My mistake, it's not 180 days it's actually 240 days with three re-arms... I forgot to include the initial 60 day period before the three re-arms! Doh!

Richard icon_cool.gif