Options

2012 Skills Plans

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I'd like to take a little time out to start a 2012 thread of a different type. I'd like to know what skills your are desiring to pick up in 2012. For me, I'd like to learn linux (LAMP, Security, etc) as well as network security and packet analysis. I also feel like I should relearn web development as several people have asked me to build web sites for them in the last few weeks. I plan to pick up a few books on development and web security. I could see myself specializing in both network and web security one day but I'm far away from that. Design is something I really need to focus on next year as well both the technical sides and the business side. Since I see myself picking up at least two pro level cisco certs, I really feel like learning design (and even getting design oriented certs but that isn't what this thread is about :) ) should be a top priority. I know that when I'm done with school I'll be doing my smb plans so learning more business processes and how a business runs is important to me.

Non career skill goals are shooting (I am dead set getting at least 1 gun this year), HAM, Japanese and chess. I'd also like to get back into a Martial Art, more than likely Tang Soo Do. What about you guys?

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Generally, I am more and more frustrated with the testing on the certs, so I am glad you said skills. Not certs. I am pretty much finishing CCNP and probably walking away from it all.

1) But, I would really like to get my head around IPv6. Get a deployment a done.
    2) I would also like to get into an opensource project and really use some of this programming knowledge I had from college before I loose it all.
    3) Judo or Kick boxing. Or both. Still debating.
    4) Teach more. I ran an internship/mentoring program at my previous job and I enjoyed working with them. So I'd like to improve that skill and find a place that will let me apply it. I was asked to run an A+ certification class at a local library, but I am not sure I am good enough teacher. We'll find out!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    I tend to make skills plans that, ultimately, become unrealistic, because I keep adding things all the time. Anyway:

- Aiming for at least one Cisco cert. I really need to get the networking basics down.
    - Better grasp of VMware vSphere management and design.
    - Windows Powershell. I still rely too much on manually doing stuff. I can fall back on my basic knowledge of VBscript for scripting, but I think Powershell is the way forward.
    - At least a basic grasp of the Linux command-line. I'm just lost when facing anything Linux-related icon_wink.gif
    - Microsoft Exchange 2010.
    - Microsoft SQL Server.

- Get back into karate after an extended break; possibly attempt to attain black belt mid-2012.
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    At this stage (and I do tend to change my plans a lot...), I want more Dell Compellent stuff (very likely), NetApp and FlexPod (unlikely but I might get some training courses at least).

Then it's more VMware design experience for me and vSphere5. I really cannot be bothered with any more 'new' MS experience though I'll be doing more SharePoint implementation work next year in my day to day duties and thats fine by me.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I'm mostly happy with what I know in terms of how it applies to my job and the kind of jobs I go for, I know enough Linux and Unix to do most sysadmin tasks or work them out anyway.

One thing I would like to get using more and get it nailed down is Python. I've dabbled in a bit this year and found it really powerful. However as I don't know it well enough, if I come to a problem with the code, it can take me hours to work out the problem, or find an alternative.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Goals for 2012.. Don't take this wrong but I'd like to work a little less a focus more on my personal life.. I'm clocking 60 hours Mon-Fri and I'm working the weekend.

I wouldn't mind making it to the range a bit more next year, but that will all fall under getting my personal life back in order icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    I'm mostly happy with what I know in terms of how it applies to my job and the kind of jobs I go for, I know enough Linux and Unix to do most sysadmin tasks or work them out anyway.

This is the point I want to get to. RHCSA level of knowledge although it is unlikely I would get that cert next year. I just feel like security and linux go hand and hand as do networking and linux. I feel like learning nix and bsd to a sysadmin level will make me more valuable even though we don't have a single linux box at work now icon_sad.gif
    stuh84 wrote: »
    One thing I would like to get using more and get it nailed down is Python. I've dabbled in a bit this year and found it really powerful. However as I don't know it well enough, if I come to a problem with the code, it can take me hours to work out the problem, or find an alternative.

Thanks for reminding me. Python is on my todo list as is TCL. Do you know if Juniper routers can be programed with TCL?
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I'm unaware unfortunately. I think they have their own language on there, plus given that they are BSD based I wouldn't be surprised if you can use Python/Perl/Shell scripting in the background.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I want to finish my Bachelor's and the certs that come with it of course. Non-cert goals, I'd really like to learn Spanish fluently. I can speak bits and pieces, but not enough to make me not sound like a moron.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Since I want to get into InfoSec, I want to start building my security skills. Also, I want get back into playing hockey.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My Goals from now till the end of 2012: Finish my bachelor degree from WGU, most likely continue with their MS in Info Assurance(finish it, so all the certs that come along with it), CCNA: wireless, CWNA, Linux+, hopefully CCNP: wireless and hopefully move up in my IT career.

Non-career: Maybe volunteer to coach for a local high school lacrosse and hockey team, keeping working out and eat healthy, never play fantasy football again (lol).
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IT Skill plans:
    • Python, PERL, Assembly, C
    • Reverse Engineering
    • APTs
    • Digital/Computer Forensics
    • Understand OS internals
    • Continue to improve packet analysis, pentesting, and automation/scripting skills
    Non-IT skill plans:
    • Improve my Wing Chun skills (the avatar is a dead giveaway icon_lol.gif)
    • Work on leadership and understanding of SMB
    • Stay fit and healthy!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I want to finish my Bachelor's and the certs that come with it of course. Non-cert goals, I'd really like to learn Spanish fluently. I can speak bits and pieces, but not enough to make me not sound like a moron.

French is on my list.

2012 skills
    Project Management
    Financial Management with decision making
    Start back with French
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    -Linux administration - Linux+
    -Intrusion Analysis - GCIA
    -Pen testing skills - I want to take OSCP
    -Project Management - ISSMP, ISSEP
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+