Options

100% on-line accredited doctoral programs?

jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone familiar with websites or institutions which offer an accredited doctoral program in information technology? I just don't have the time to sit in a classroom. The only doctoral program I can find is at Dakota State University which can be completed 100% online. From my limited research, seems DSU is the only program online so far. Thanks for the info!

Comments

• Options
    historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're into security, Capitol College has one in Information Assurance:

Information Assurance (DSc) | Capitol College
  • Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    If you're into security, Capitol College has one in Information Assurance:

Information Assurance (DSc) | Capitol College

Seems like a waste of time and money to get a Doctorate for IT. You dont need one.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Armymanis wrote: »
    Seems like a waste of time and money to get a Doctorate for IT. You dont need one.

Well, if you want to be a professor - than yes you most likely do.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I don't think education can ever be considered a waste of time.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

I'm sorry, but IT isn't about playing video games all day and taking calls for the Help Desk...some folks may want to pursue a higher form of education for a career that may involve academia (tenured professors, btw, make a lot more than a CCIE...)

To the OP, I looked at the Dakota State program just out of curiousity. It can be done online, but from what I read, it is not very easy.

I actually know someone who is doing a doctorate at CTU. He's got about three years left and he started a while ago. His program is online, but he still has to go out of state for dissertation defense and what not.

It is work, but could pay off if you're looking to get into academia.
  • Options
    j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Checkout Nova Southeastern. They offer 4 Doctorates in IT. Graduate School of Computer and Information Sciences
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • Options
    mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    It doesn't seem right that you can get a doctrate totally online. Do you defend your dissertation in an online chat room?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    mog27 wrote: »
    It doesn't seem right that you can get a doctrate totally online. Do you defend your dissertation in an online chat room?

As Erpadmin mentioned some will require you to travel. In addition, what difference would it make if you do it via Telepresence or some other high end videoconference solution?
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mog27 wrote: »
    I agree 100%. A dissertation should be chiseled onto a stone tablet.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%