Options

Retail Job interview

OverdashOverdash Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I have been working in Healthcare IT for almost two years; and have a chance now to get out of it. I have one year as a Helpdesk/level 1 PC technician, six months as a field tech/level 2, and I have a CCNA. I would really like to get a networking position but not sure if I have enough experience or how to advance from here. I have an interview with a regional chain of discount retail stores for a PC technician (level 1) but they also have an opening for a Telco admin. One of the job requirements for that is:
  • "2 years direct experience managing multi-site and core telecommunication systems, utilizing POTS, ISDN, DSL, T-1, DS3."
Obviously I have never touched any of those so I am wondering how on earth I could make the transition from these crappy tech jobs to a real networking position. To make matters worse I am dealing with headhunters to land interviews. My last job I made $16 an hr. and I don't know if I can find another job around here making that much.

Should I keep looking? I know I am qualified for the PC tech, but I am definitely not satisfied.

Comments

• Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you currently unemployed? Best thing to do is get whatever job you can get your hands on.

Have you thought about leaving the possibility of relocation open?

Have you thought of volunteering at some local hospitals on the side to help with IT? Maybe you can get more experience that way. You could contact all the IT Managers / Directors of hospitals in the local area and send a letter / email explaining you would like to volunteer as a way to grow your skill set and help the community. You can get their names usually by calling a hospital and asking.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    OverdashOverdash Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you currently unemployed? Best thing to do is get whatever job you can get your hands on.

Have you thought about leaving the possibility of relocation open?

Have you thought of volunteering at some local hospitals on the side to help with IT? Maybe you can get more experience that way. You could contact all the IT Managers / Directors of hospitals in the local area and send a letter / email explaining you would like to volunteer as a way to grow your skill set and help the community. You can get their names usually by calling a hospital and asking.

I can't relocate at this moment, and I am trying to get out of healthcare, but I am unemployed so I can't be picky. I could call around but I don't know a hospital crazy enough to let a non-employee that close to their core infrastructure. That's got to be a HIPAA violation at the very least!