Options

Help desk job vs Noc position (higher pay vs lower) what would you do?

johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
hi all,

so my dilemma, I just started this new NOC type job, first bad points:

cons:
  • there's no cisco gear, so I'm basically learning cli from scratch
  • we work 9hr shifts / 45hrs+ week with no overtime
  • my noc manager is on a power trip, I have a better foundation of knowledge of R/S they he does, he admitted so much.
  • Nobody seems knowledgeable bout the equipment we support, we open cases with the vendors and pass off the information to our clients like if we came up with the solution ourselves.
  • Lvl 2 engineers who go out and service stuff are never in the office so I never get to ask them questions... basically its on me to find random switches laying around to screw with the command line.
  • Oh, starting pay is :$27k (very low for NYC)
  • I pay an additional $250 a month on transportation that I normally wouldn't pay for other parts of NY.
  • 2nd shift and overnights, really strange off days...you don't really get 2 days off a week.
pro:
  • lots of down-time, could probably get through 2 text books a month. And get certs done fast.
  • get to learn about different vendors, avaya/extreme/juniper
  • noc is kinda like in charge of the server room, even though it seems nobody ever wants to go in there cause they're afraid of messing something up, except me =D, lots of stuff to gain experience with here, Sever2k3/08, AD, Server SQL, Exchange.
...so my dilemma, my cuz just told me I could work with him at a help desk job that pays between 35-40k and is considerably closer and would cost $200/month less to commute to, normal human hrs 9-5, so I could have a social life of sorts...

what would you do. Be advised, this is my first IT job I've worked at and also my first job I've had in 2+yrs and I've only been here 3 weeks, so far I kinda hate it, its mostly cause my manager doesn't like to teach, but he loves to criticize.

thing to note: other employee has been there a yr, seems like shes a good employee says that she hasn't gotten a raise since shes been there.

what would you do, stay at noc ride it out for the experience/resume booster, try your luck at help-desk and make $10k more while working less hrs, my goal is to be a network engineer...

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You might get more experience on the helpdesk given the information you provided. For the pay alone, I'd jump over to the helpdesk, but I would make sure the position is open and that you will get it before saying anything. I am one who learned a long time ago that working when not getting paid never works out for you, so I'd avoid that like the plague.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    You might get more experience on the helpdesk given the information you provided. For the pay alone, I'd jump over to the helpdesk, but I would make sure the position is open and that you will get it before saying anything. I am one who learned a long time ago that working when not getting paid never works out for you, so I'd avoid that like the plague.

yes, I would do it proper with two weeks notice and everything.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    You can use NOC as a stepping stone to become a Network Engineer. Also, having a lot of downtime is a great thing if you can knock some textbooks and certs out. The only bad thing is the pay. You are getting paid dirt cheap for a NOC job.

If you need money ASAP then move to helpdesk but beware of helpdesk. Helpdesk usually gets stuck in that same job forever. The next job for them is usually desktop support and then system admin.

NOC tech usually jumps to NOC admin or network analyst, network engineer, network architect and etc.
  • Options
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    You can use NOC as a stepping stone to become a Network Engineer. Also, having a lot of downtime is a great thing if you can knock some textbooks and certs out. The only bad thing is the pay. You are getting paid dirt cheap for a NOC job.

If you need money ASAP then move to helpdesk but beware of helpdesk. Helpdesk usually gets stuck in that same job forever. The next job for them is usually desktop support and then system admin.

NOC tech usually jumps to NOC admin or network analyst, network engineer, network architect and etc.

yea... I'm in the hole like 15k from being out of work for 2yrs, this is hard, for 45hr work week I think we should be starting at 35k, the extra $250 for commuting is annoying. I may stick it out for 3 months, and reassess the situation, see if I'm learning.
  • Options
    HumorITHumorIT Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Interesting thread. I'm looking into these sorts of options as well. When I get out of the Navy, I'll have a decent amount of experience. I'll have 2 years of NOC experience. We provide both in-house desktop support, and remote support. We have a variety of tools and software for assessing and diffusing customer issues.

I'm used to the work schedules, as we usually work 12 hour shifts without lunch breaks, or any breaks rather! I'd like to get the most bang for the buck though. Odds are that I'll be staying in and approaching the officer rout, I'd like to get into management. However it's always good to be informed of alternatives in the field.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Wow man...yes, you are way underpaid. And it sounds like the skill level in there is a bit low. If you can change jobs with no downtime, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Usually a NOC job would be better than a helpdesk job, but that doesn't seem true in your case.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    johnnyarks wrote: »
    hi all,

so my dilemma, I just started this new NOC type job, first bad points:

cons:
    • there's no cisco gear, so I'm basically learning cli from scratch
    • we work 9hr shifts / 45hrs+ week with no overtime
    • my noc manager is on a power trip, I have a better foundation of knowledge of R/S they he does, he admitted so much.
    • Nobody seems knowledgeable bout the equipment we support, we open cases with the vendors and pass off the information to our clients like if we came up with the solution ourselves.
    • Lvl 2 engineers who go out and service stuff are never in the office so I never get to ask them questions... basically its on me to find random switches laying around to screw with the command line.
    • Oh, starting pay is :$27k (very low for NYC)
    • I pay an additional $250 a month on transportation that I normally wouldn't pay for other parts of NY.
    • 2nd shift and overnights, really strange off days...you don't really get 2 days off a week.
    pro:
    • lots of down-time, could probably get through 2 text books a month. And get certs done fast.
    • noc is kinda like in charge of the server room, even though it seems nobody ever wants to go in there cause they're afraid of messing something up, except me =D, lots of stuff to gain experience with here, Sever2k3/08, AD, Server SQL, Exchange.
    ...so my dilemma, my cuz just told me I could work with him at a help desk job that pays between 35-40k and is considerably closer and would cost $200/month less to commute to, normal human hrs 9-5, so I could have a social life of sorts...

what would you do. Be advised, this is my first IT job I've worked at and also my first job I've had in 2+yrs and I've only been here 3 weeks, so far I kinda hate it, its mostly cause my manager doesn't like to teach, but he loves to criticize.

thing to note: other employee has been there a yr, seems like shes a good employee says that she hasn't gotten a raise since shes been there.

what would you do, stay at noc ride it out for the experience/resume booster, try your luck at help-desk and make $10k more while working less hrs, my goal is to be a network engineer...

I might be mistaken but you said in a previous thread that you had a job as IT before your two year unemployment?

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/69483-bleek-future-only-high-school-grad.html
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Man, for that NOC position, it is stupid low pay for NYC.

I do think it is great experience, but unless you are still living with family with no bills, I don't think its practical to put yourself in that type of situation.

I'd go with help desk.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It seems to me that after a few months to a year under your belt, you could jump to another NOC job making more than the helpdesk job, and be on the path to achieving your goal of becoming a network engineer faster.

If you need the $$$ now, though, that may make the decision for you.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Blackout wrote: »
    I might be mistaken but you said in a previous thread that you had a job as IT before your two year unemployment?

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/69483-bleek-future-only-high-school-grad.html

Na...it technically had to do with door alarms, similar in nature with what a noc does but... It would be more categorized as a security guard job.
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    You are def under paid plus your manager seems like a problem. Is the company a big player, well known? If so, it will look good on your resume. But for 27k as NOC? No wayyyyyyyyyyyyy man! Avoid helpdesk because you'll probably get stuck and dealing with end-users can be a nightmare. Noc-Ninja pointed out, you can quickly move up the ladder in a NOC environment.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    XeeNXeeN Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my goal is to be a network engineer...

Stick it out, get your hands into everything you can. Ask for projects that require you to manage all of the extra systems in there. If you still have extra time start a track of certificates that support your desired goal.

Consider the lower pay just a sacrifice you'll make until you get enough of a resume built to make a jump straight into a good job. Consider this sort of a school of sorts, where you are getting paid, or a low paid internship that sucks. Put up with the crap from your boss.

Build out your resume and do everything you can do to be the guy on the phone getting support for issues. Take notes from every call. Be the guy who wants to take every support issue. You'll learn a lot that way.

Lastly, go search for jobs you wish you could have (network engineer, etc.). Find one that would be a logical next step for you. Figure out what they want. Try to fill that list as much as you can from your own location and then fill the rest with as much self study as possible.

Skip the higher-paid help desk position. You'll leap frog your friend's income if you can stand the pressure cooker.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Take the Helpdesk job. This kind of NOC where you're escalating everything to vendors is no way to get in there and figure it out. I started off in helpdesk and am now a Net Eng of sorts (all the work but not the title) our Senior guy is a CCNA/CCDA/CTP+ and has a Bachelors makes about 90K (Western NY) and openly admits routing is not his strong point.

You need to look out for you and go where the $$ is and keep your eye on the prize; a decent salary.
  • Options
    XeeNXeeN Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    drkat wrote: »
    Take the Helpdesk job. This kind of NOC where you're escalating everything to vendors is no way to get in there and figure it out. I started off in helpdesk and am now a Net Eng of sorts (all the work but not the title) our Senior guy is a CCNA/CCDA/CTP+ and has a Bachelors makes about 90K (Western NY) and openly admits routing is not his strong point.

You need to look out for you and go where the $$ is and keep your eye on the prize; a decent salary.

With all respect to drkat (who has valid viewpoints) I will just say I disagree in this case. I think that putting up with a lesser salary for a while is well worth the sacrifice due to the resume items his position will provide.

Secondly, I had a position where I was the person calling tier 3 support for a network issue. I had zero experience with command line interface stuff on switches before that time. The main network guy was unavailable, but I was, so there you go.

Within 2 weeks time of being on the phone with support for hours every single day and trying out their suggestions I was able to go pass an HP ProCurve certification practice test. It was trial by fire for me in that case but I learned so much and walked away with so many notes that served me in the future.

You have an opportunity to get your hands into a lot of stuff. Do it. Build your resume. Get into every support call you can to learn what the techs are doing. Ask for more projects. Do your job with excellence.

I think you will be able to leap right into a true NOC or higher level network position somewhere else with the title and the salary.
  • Options
    WiseWun wrote: »
    You are def under paid plus your manager seems like a problem. Is the company a big player, well known? If so, it will look good on your resume. But for 27k as NOC? No wayyyyyyyyyyyyy man! Avoid helpdesk because you'll probably get stuck and dealing with end-users can be a nightmare. Noc-Ninja pointed out, you can quickly move up the ladder in a NOC environment.

nothing big name, like 30-40 employees, there's not much in-between NOC and Level 2 engineer... and from what I hear they are underpaid. They get calls at like 3am to drive from NJ to DC and fix simple issues...
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I would say if you can afford it, take the NOC. I'm currently at a Help Desk making pretty decent money, but at the end of the day my resume says Service Desk and not NOC. If you can do the time in the NOC and CCNA I bet dollar signs will be on their way soon.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    I guess it all depends on who is company A and who is company B - valid career progression. If I work for a NOC at Datacenter USA but get offered a helpdesk job at HP - it may be a fair game
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□

Do you actually get to work on the stuff in the server room? Do you actually work on production avaya/extreme/juniper equipment?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The pay seems really low. Try to hang in there for six months, use the downtime to study for certs, and start applying elsewhere.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Since you want to become a network engineer I'd would stick with NOC job for a couple of months to build up your resume then apply for other NOC jobs. Sure the pay is bad, but the experience is excellent.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If networking is where you want to be I'd suggest staying where you are and take full advantage of the downtime and exposure to the multitude of vendors and client configurations you will exposed to. Everyone has to do the b*tch work at first. Hell, even master electricians have to change the occasional light bulb.

A year or two in a noc will pay dividends down the road especially as the helpdesk role gets mergered into the junior systems admin role of a few years back.
  • Options
    realdreamsrealdreams Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am surprised so many people prefer helpdesk.....
    IMO absolutely NOC... but what kind of NOC is this? AD???
    helpdesk has to deal with a lot of people that set their computer background to black and then submit a ticket saying the computer is not working.... This kind of experience is not very helpful.... and that life is so miserable....
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally I would try to find option 3 - a different NOC job where the boss is better and the company is closer.

Failing that, go to the job that will pay for tuition reimbursement, and go get your bachelors degree! If you want to get ahead, that's how you will have to do it. It seems like you will definitely need that in the future!
  • Options
    Well as long as we're commenting on an old thread, I wonder how it worked out for the OP?
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Unless you're in a rough spot financially, I would definitely stick it out. Use that extra time to knock out plenty of certifications, and build your knowledge and experience. After at least a year, maybe two, with your certs and experience you should be able to double your current salary, whereas I don't see that happening with the Helpdesk.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is a year-old thread. He made his decision a long time ago. ;)
  • Options
    whoa, I see some ppl still checking this out in late 2012.

In case you're still curious... I quit the first gig exactly 6 months in. 2 months later got a NOC gig in NYC making low 40s, 30min commute from my apt.

Worked out well.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cool, glad it worked out.

The only thing I would add to the original discussion is more questions. What is the duties of the helpdesk? Some people make assumptions and helpdesk work doesn't always fall in line with what they assume it does. Is the company a bigger company? What are the chances of advancement? etc
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete