Options

Packet tracer VTP and Rapid spanning tree

W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've noticed in packet tracer that if you only have one switch in vtp server mode and the rest in client while using rapid spanning tree then you get what appears to be switching loops or broadcast storms and all of the ports are forwarding with none of them blocking. Regular spanning tree works fine if you only have one vtp server but for some reason if you use rapid spanning tree you need to have at least to switches in VTP server mode. is this how it is with all cisco switches or is it a packet tracer glitch that I should ignore?

Comments

• Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Packet Tracer is really buggy. I have no faith in that program.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm with Monkerz, I've had too many issues with that program.

If you have the Academy classes lab manuals, some of the activities wouldn't grade correctly in version 5.2, which was the current version at the time. It was installed on the computers in class, which used Deep Freeze, so we would have to downgrade to 5.1 every night we had class. Fun times indeed. I never verified if the activities work right in 5.3 now. And don't get me started on how many times it was missing that one last command or two needed to finish something I was working on.
  • Options
    nbeachamnbeacham Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GNS3 is probably the best route.
  • Options
    gramacorpgramacorp Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like the switches are using PVST+ I ran into the same problem. Power cycle the switches fixed it for me.
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is a glitch. I noticed it when I was messing around in packet tracer configuring edge ports and such. It locks the switches up. You have to leave it in PVST+
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog