Options

A question for the masses

qs1posqs1pos Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a pretty good idea what the answer to this question is but I wanted to get the thoughts of others. If I have a business and I wanted to connect to my business network from home. What is the most efficient and cost effective way to accomplish it? Assuming I wanted to use my DSL connections that are installed at both locations and not RAS, and I have a static IP at my business provided by my ISP.
"If you will it Dude, it is no dream."

Comments

• Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It depends on to what extent you want to "connect". If you want to have something user friendly and you trust Citrix, you could use go to my pc, or something like it. Set up a server (2000 or 2003) with RRAS and create a VPN server. Depending on the DSL modem manufacturer and your ISP, you could even create some type of connection through those (I administer my sisters dsl through an administrative gateway, she has a Speedstream modem). So the things you should ask yourself should be, 1. How much money am I willing to spend. 2. How much time am I willing to put into to setting it up. 3. To what extent do I need access. 4. How concerned should I be about security (and my answer to that is always very!!!!!!)
  • Options
    qs1posqs1pos Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1. How much money am I willing to spend.

Its not so much about the money, just want a connection that is easily maintained, very little user intervention needed. Ideally I would like a set it and forget it solution. Just boot and be able to access a file server with client software from home.

2. How much time am I willing to put into to setting it up.

Not alot, again has to be low to no maint. The people who would be dealing with this will knoe nothing about networks.

3. To what extent do I need access.

File server using client software

4. How concerned should I be about security (and my answer to that is always very!!!!!!)[/quote]

Not talking PKI or anything just simple authentication and encryption.

I appreciate the quick response!
    "If you will it Dude, it is no dream."
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In that case, I'd either say VPN server at the office, or some out-of-the-box solution like gotomypc or pc anywhere.