Darril Gibson SY-301 Practice Test Book

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead- SY0-301 Practice Test Questions (9781466323605): Darril Gibson: Books
Got the book recently and it looks to be a winner. It seems to test a lot on newer stuff while still covering some of the older stuff that will be on the test. I'll probably have to take this test in the future as I'm in the running for a couple of different DOD jobs which will require me to retake the Sec+ next year (if I get one of them). Took the 201 last year but didn't get my hands on Darrils book until later, it would have helped since it was a better read than the Sybex book.
No word yet on when the study guide will be out.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    earweed wrote: »
    No word yet on when the study guide will be out.

Glad to hear the SY0-301 practice questions book looks good to you. The 301 Study Guide is in the layout phase. I'm hoping to get it out by the end of October, but in the meantime I've been getting some good feedback on the practice test questions book. Good luck on landing one of the new jobs.

BTW, with 4,990 posts and your commendable list of certifications, I'm thinking you're not "Just a noob" anymore as it shows under your name :).
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    BTW, with 4,990 posts and your commendable list of certifications, I'm thinking you're not "Just a noob" anymore as it shows under your name :).
    Your right, but "Just a noob" sounds alot better then "Complete noob". :D
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • kageakumakageakuma Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If I'm able to get ~90% in all of the tests in this book, is that a realistic indicator that I will do well on the actual SY0-301 exam?
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Darril wrote: »

+1000

Ear you got a BS in IT and 30 certs in like 2 years. Mind boggling.

I have done 12 in 2 years and my friends call me a geek. Wait to the meet you ;)

BTW how did you do on your CCNA exam? I am going to guess you passed.
  • kageakumakageakuma Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kageakuma wrote: »
    If I'm able to get ~90% in all of the tests in this book, is that a realistic indicator that I will do well on the actual SY0-301 exam?

I also got 80% on the CompTia.org 30 question practice exam and 88% on the "Quiz A for Mike Meyers' CompTIA Security+(TM) Certification Passport, Third Edition" from the practice CD.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    kageakuma wrote: »
    A better measure is if you understand why the correct answer is correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect in each of the questions. If you do, it won't matter how they throw the question at you, you should do fine. It's valuable to read the explanations for all the questions, even the questions you get correct.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Daily Tweets