Options

Should I leave now or in a year time

Hi guys

The place where I work isn’t doing very well at the moment and I'm uncertain whether I will have this job within the next 8/12 months ( there more chance I have it then not). Even if I keep my job there’s no chance of me moving up or doing better things. At the moment I'm doing my degree which I should finish within the next 7 months. Then I want to spend three months after that upgrading my MCSA to 2008.

The one good thing about my job is that I have time to study which I learning programming which I'm starting to enjoy.

Should I leave now or wait another 10/12 months once I finish all my stuff?
What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Stay while looking for a new job. Why leaving something you have for now while looking for something you may not get for months?
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    I was in the same boat a few years back. I had about 6 months left to get my BS done and the new comapny (I was a dod contractor) that took over the contract was slowly letting folks go.... I started applying like crazy and increased my school hours to get done faster... I lucked out as I scored a job and finished my degree within a month of each other and I left the old job right before they started layoffs in my old section.... the other folks that kept their heads in the sand got the ax or serious pay reductions and then played catch up to get certs or school done and looking for jobs.... I just had to say I told you so to those that sat around bs'ing while I was busting my rear to get done and get out....

look out for yourself and start looking, but at the same time speed up your certs and school (mention on your resume that you will be completing X cert(s) and y degree in the X number of months)
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    grauwulfgrauwulf Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm more or less onboard with everybody else here but there is one consideration I'd like to point out. Time management. Finding a good job and rolling into it takes time and energy. The first few weeks at any new job are always a stressful time. How will this impact your course load? I would put my resume out on Dice and Monster, places like that, and just see what comes in. Take your time and wait for the right job. Keep a low profile at your current job. Don't make waves or enemies and just bide your time. If it takes a year, so be it. Roll with the punches and wait for right situation. If you push the situation you will be more stressed, with less time for other things (like school), and will be more likely to jump into a bad situation.

Good luck.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I agree with the above replies. Keep your resume out there, and try to speed up finishing your degree.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    thomas130 wrote: »
    Hi guys

The place where I work isn’t doing very well at the moment and I'm uncertain whether I will have this job within the next 8/12 months ( there more chance I have it then not). Even if I keep my job there’s no chance of me moving up or doing better things. At the moment I'm doing my degree which I should finish within the next 7 months. Then I want to spend three months after that upgrading my MCSA to 2008.

The one good thing about my job is that I have time to study which I learning programming which I'm starting to enjoy.

Should I leave now or wait another 10/12 months once I finish all my stuff?
    What would you do?

Stay where you are. Work hard. Study hard. Look around for better jobs. It's a tough economy and you have a paycheck. Keep it.