Some Resume Questions

tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
If I have the MCITP:EA certification, or any other certification that encompasses multiple individual certifications, is it more appropriate to just put the MICTIP:EA certification, or should I list all of the individual certifications as well?

Sort of a similar question - If I get the CCENT and then the CCNA, should I list the CCENT on my resume even though having the CCNA implies that I have the CCENT?

The reason I ask these two questions is because not everyone looking at a resume will realize that having the MCITP:EA certification means you have five individual certifications. People in HR may be more impressed if you list out all of the certifications if they don't know how many tests are in a MCITP:EA certification, right?

My last question - If I have an Associates degree and a Bachelors degree, do I need to mention the Associates degree? Also, do I need to say which schools I went to to get them, or is that irrelevant as long as it wasn't prestigious/ivy league?

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lot of questions here.
    1. It's actually more important to explain what the MCITP:EA is than what all exams it entails but I would list the client exam that was taken.
    2. I wouldn't list the CCENT if you have the CCNA. It doesn't matter if you took the 1 or 2 test method once you have the CCNA completed.
    3. The school is not really relevant but I list it anyway. As far as listing an associates (or AAS) degree along withn the Bachelors some people may actually prefer seeing that as the AS and AAS sometimes actually provide more hands on knowledge than the bachelors and some hiring managers may prefer it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Thanks for the insight earweed.
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I think most people here have different opinions on the subjects you are asking, as for the certifications, I have not yet decided which is best, I try both ways.

For the schooling, I would surely list my A.S. and B.S., if you had a masters would you not list your B.S.?
  • derek10rr3derek10rr3 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, Sorry to hijack the thread here, but I am wondering if it is better to highlight the education at the top of the resume, followed by experience? Or is experience better first?

I am speaking if someone has 3-4 certs, and a degree or two.

Thanks.
  • KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    derek10rr3 wrote: »
    Hey guys, Sorry to hijack the thread here, but I am wondering if it is better to highlight the education at the top of the resume, followed by experience? Or is experience better first?

I am speaking if someone has 3-4 certs, and a degree or two.

Thanks.

This practice of listing education and certs first comes usually from someone fresh out of school with A) No work history B) No relevant experience in the field of schooling.

OP - I think listing CCENT as well as CCNA is used when your cert list is still growing. 1-4 Certs. I plan on listing both until the Cert list looks cluttered. When I look like a cert collector I plan on "dropping" the entry level certs.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book