Options

70-640 this Friday

rphannrphann Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
My second attempt at taking the 70-640 exam this Friday. I hope the extra time I took off to prepare pays off. I under estimate the exam the first time around and it kicked my behind. =(

Comments

• Options
    worldmac1worldmac1 Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck rphann! I will be taking my second attempt as well in the next couple of weeks too. I took it earlier for the heck of it and to qualify for the second shot before time ran out.

What were some of your study materials?
    Certs in Progress:

CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
    OIIIIIIIO
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    DNS DNS DNS and did I say DNS.

I'm getting ready for the 642 test and with 640 and 642 I now dream about DNS.

Good Luck.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Best of luck to both.
  • Options
    I'm using M$ Press, CBT Nuggets, and study materials/quizes from this website.

thanks guys
  • Options
    I forgot to mention, certain youtube videos have been helpful as well. =)
  • Options
    rphann wrote: »
    I'm using M$ Press, CBT Nuggets, and study materials/quizes from this website.

thanks guys

Yeah, I've been watching a little of James Conrad and Ed...I forget his name, but he does the trainsignal stuff. I have been reading the Sybex books also. I heard the M$ books were iffy...what is your take on the M$ Press books?
    Certs in Progress:

OIIIIIIIO
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    I used two books the Sybex R2 book and Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed.
    The Unleashed book is a must have it is a great book hit's on everything you need to know.
    With these two books the Sybex for lab's and lite reading and the Unleashed book for my heavy must know reading you should be in good shape. I have not used the MS press books for any server test but image you could do it with the unleashed book and be just fine.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    worldmac1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been watching a little of James Conrad and Ed...I forget his name, but he does the trainsignal stuff. I have been reading the Sybex books also. I heard the M$ books were iffy...what is your take on the M$ Press books?

I find M$ Press to be useful. That being said, in my opinion that alone will not be enough to pass the test. I'm a visual learner, so I learn better watching the CBT Nuggets. Not to mention the lab I have setup have been helpful with the hand-on experience.
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently studying for the 70-640 and am only using the MS Press book and LabSim. It sounds like this may not be enough for me to learn everything I need to for Active Directory. Does this sound like the case or would these two resources be enough?
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    I am currently studying for the 70-640 and am only using the MS Press book and LabSim. It sounds like this may not be enough for me to learn everything I need to for Active Directory. Does this sound like the case or would these two resources be enough?

Unless you're already familar and have plenty of experience with AD, I would suggest using other materials as well.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819

books 24/7 has the sybex book for 70-640/642/643 its a good secondary
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did take the Server 2003 classes for Active Directory and Infrastructure a few years ago for my Associates. Will this help of should I still get more. Also, the books 24x7, isn't there an agreement with WGU and them to get them for free?
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're a WGU student you have books 24x7. You access it through your skillsoft account.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    I did take the Server 2003 classes for Active Directory and Infrastructure a few years ago for my Associates. Will this help of should I still get more. Also, the books 24x7, isn't there an agreement with WGU and them to get them for free?

skillport.books24x7.com
    skillport log in

group code is WGU
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    rphann wrote: »
    My second attempt at taking the 70-640 exam this Friday. I hope the extra time I took off to prepare pays off. I under estimate the exam the first time around and it kicked my behind. =(

Were you able to take your test today? I think I am going to shoot for next Friday myself...Good luck and congrats!
    Certs in Progress:

OIIIIIIIO
  • Options
    da7ida7i Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi rphann,

i hope you passed the exam, iam a new member and i want to take 70-640 exam but i don't have to mock exam jst to see how the exam will look like.
    Could you help me pls

thanks in advance
  • Options
    worldmac1 wrote: »
    Were you able to take your test today? I think I am going to shoot for next Friday myself...Good luck and congrats!

Unfortunately, I had to reschedule my exam to next Friday. Something came up. Also, this will give me extra time to study. Good luck to you as well. =)
  • Options
    I tried to schedule mine for this Friday, but all the seats were taken. Tomorrow I will probably schedule for Monday.
    I'm still struggling with the CA stuff i feel. Might go back and watch all 3 CBTs on AD CS by James Conrad tonight...again.

Good Luck on Friday, not that you'll need it. icon_wink.gif
    Certs in Progress:

OIIIIIIIO