Second Interview

KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
So I have never had more then 1 interview in the past. I really don't know what to expect.

This job entails more than I expected, with no real specialty. Network Support, Server Admin for home office and 8 remote sites. When I asked how many are in the IT dept, I was told " It will be just you" now I am reading into the "will" to much and I know this.

The interview today was 4 staff members and a board member. I know most of the technologies that they have, SQL, Server 03 & 08, XP environment some Windows® 7, Office 07 and 2010 (Why not upgrade all sites I don't know.) What I didn't know was the financial application and some of the Government reporting programs.

So the long of the short is, 3-4 hours after the interview I was called and asked if I would be willing to come in for a second interview. She stated that she would like me to meet with " a couple more people" whatever that means.

Now I know there are "Signs" in an interview that it is going well. Laughter, then general mood and the vibe. But I was also answering questions honestly and the HR rep said " Your doing very well". This immediately after answering a question about a Project being due and a user with an issue.

I have the 2 page job description and I am wondering if I would be questioned on the items, that may be unique to them, "Did you do your homework" type of feeling.

/shrug
Any thoughts?
WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
Currently Reading
Darril Book

Comments

• JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If the technologies are truly unique to them, try to come up with similar technologies you have used. "I am not familiar with that particular program, but I have used such and such."

It sounds like a small business and it is more important to them if they can see you working there with them, so they are putting you in front of all the important players. Attitude is more important than knowledge is my guess.
    WGU Progress
  • KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    Was my first interview with more than 3 (4 including myself) people. Nervous at first, but as soon as the talking started, all went out the window and the business mindset kicked in.

I feel very comfortable with the situation right now. At first I was thinking "I didn't nail it on the first interview" but now that I replay the last phone conversation, she was upbeat very energetic almost sounded excited.

Thank You - Jourdsh - I feel a lot better.
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I think a second interview is a good thing.

It usually means you're in the green, and maybe the decision makers want to see for themselves.

Or they want to give you more details, and discuss salary?

Regardless, I think the 2nd is a good sign.

Let us know how it evolves!
  • KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    I have been donating my time to a museum recently and I had a meeting with the Tech Committee today. The meeting was about explaining why they are experiencing issues with the network and a couple other issues. My "main" contact at the museum said she got a call today from the employer I am interviewing with. All I did was mention that I was helping out there as a volunteer. They are "checking up" on me icon_wink.gif I am very excited now because the museum is very grateful for my services and this was being relayed to the potential employer.
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a very good sign. Good luck!icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Wasn't good enough - Received my rejection letter today.

I have no feeling towards it.

There are a lot of firsts with this interview.

First interview since my focus on Cisco.
    First 2nd interview.
    First being interviewed by more then 3 people.
    First rejection.

So this was a very big "lesson" interview. I am not taking it as a defeat because I actually learned a lot from this experience. Don't let the number of interviewees intimidate you. Being prepared for more then 3 people, and divide up my eye contact equally. I hate to say it, but I'm not always going to get the job. I think there will be an even larger impact within the next few interviews. I have my WGU intake interview this upcoming Thursday - I plan on hitting the ICND2 hardcore as I am very comfortable with the material/blueprint. Having the experience and adding the certifications shows I am committed "looking good on paper".. Which brings me to another point, I made round 2 of the interviews doesn't mean I am not capable but someone else was a better fit.
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Way to have a great attitude about it!
    I am sure it wasn't an easy choice for them either which is why they went to all the trouble of multiple interviews and reference checks. Sometimes it just gets narrowed down to the point where small things make the difference, if you are going to be going to WGU soon it sounds like you are eliminating one of those things that may cause someone else to inch by you on the job search, your education. Good luck! WGU has been a great experience for me.
    WGU Progress