How Can download Packet Tracer

THA_DOCTHA_DOC Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
How Can I download Packet Tracer 5.3 if I can't get membership or I am not enrolled in the Network Academy. I just want use Packet Tracer to do Labs. I have looked at GN3 but it requires an IOS and that is a bit much. icon_confused.gif:
An Open Mind, Working to Get IT!:cheers:

DOC

Comments

• nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    Enroll in the Networking Academy.

Sorry, but that is the only official way to get it. If GNS3 is really intimidating, try GNS3 Workbench, it is a virtual machine that is already configured for you, but you still need an IOS image. Lastly, used equipment on Ebay.

Learning things like configuring used equipment (password resets ect) and setting up GNS3 will round out your knowledge, beyond what is in the book.
  • j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    THA_DOC: There is this invention that searches the internet for things.

GNS was a major PITA for me until I figured out the idle-PC thingy. Now that it's stable, It really is nice to have when you're on the road with a lappy.
  • asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are alternatives. You can also use CertExams.com Network Simulator for CCNA or Boson's Net Sim. Both are very good for CCNA labs.

As mentioned, one disadvantage with GNS is that it requires Cisco IOS (how to procure a legal Cisco IOS copy?). The limitation with Packet Tracer is that one needs to enroll for Cisco Academy program to get access to the simulator.
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Echoing what's already been said, you will be better off for learning on real equipment.
    Packet tracer is a good learning tool, however it does have quite a few limitations, I won't go into detail here.
    GNS3 is not without its flaws, steeper learning curve aside, it's integration with Qemu will allow you to build out a more realistic virtual lab environment, not just with switching and routing but with servers.
    You will be able to Telnet/SSH to your router/switch/server using a terminal emulator of your choice, get packet captures, etc.
    There is a very active "how to" forum.
    Certainly worth the time to learn.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Learn to use packet tracer , learn to use gsn3 and get some real equipment as well if your budget allows

1721's and 1751's can go for $20 with p&h if you are patient and take your time
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    What I love about GNS is the ability to have all four or five console windows open at the same time so I could see the debug ip rip going on multiple routers after I shut down a network to see the route poisoning and reverse poisoning in real time. That in itself really hammered home how RIP operates.

Real equipment is the best as alxx and ccnxjr mentioned because there are the subtle things that work in GNS that don't with live equipment (such as GNS not requiring a clock rate in DCE/DTE and HDLC automatically assigning an IP address on the directly connected router.)