CCNA Official Exam Certification Library, 3rd Edition updated release Oct. 14, 2011

onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
If this has been previously posted, please disregard.

For all those looking to buy Odom's continually recommended self study book "CCNA Official Exam Certification Library," the 3rd edition of the set will be released on the 14th. I'm not completely clear on what has been updated, still in our industry, newer is almost always better. Have a look here.

ETA: I believe the 2nd edition of the ICND1 & ICND2 books have been out for a few years and that the library was previously called the 3rd edition. However, this 3rd edition now carries the ICND1&2 in 3rd edition as well.
Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness

Comments

• MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    This thread: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/35324?tstart=0 from the learning network. Has a response from the man himself. While a few chapters have been updated. I got the sense that the new 3rd edition isn't hugely different from the current kit. I was debating getting the new books. But after reading Odom's reply, I decided the current library kit is still valid. For those who haven't purchased books yet, waiting for the new revised edition is likely worth it. For everyone else YMMV.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    Gave me a heart attack! I have the ICND2 Ordered, and it is shipping on the .. TOMORROWicon_thumright.gif (Oct 7, 2011)

CCNA ICND2 640-816 Official Cert Guide, 3rd Edition

I also plan to do a little write up of my impression.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    MosGuy wrote: »
    This thread: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/35324?tstart=0 from the learning network. Has a response from the man himself. While a few chapters have been updated. I got the sense that the new 3rd edition isn't hugely different from the current kit. I was debating getting the new books. But after reading Odom's reply, I decided the current library kit is still valid. For those who haven't purchased books yet, waiting for the new revised edition is likely worth it. For everyone else YMMV.

Thanks for the update. I had read on his blog a while back that he didn't think there would be any changes on the CCNA. There were only notes about the announcement of the CCT. It's comforting to know there isn't a whole lot beyond the 2nd edition.ET

ETA: sorry about the heart attack KrisA. Glad to see you got the right one!

• djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    I'm gonna be picking up these updated versions myself next week when their available. Lots of reading to follow the labs and Nugget videos.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
    The reason is I am "holding" out is for this to be in hand... I want to be studying.... I would have went with the 2nd edition but it was literally 8 days after my CCENT for shipping so I figured I could wait it out get the latest and not "worry" about anything that it may throw at me. NOW this is IRONY at it's finest... My little balloon just gave me great news
    We are pleased to inform you that your order has been processed by our warehouse and is now on a UPS truck.
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
    KrisA wrote: »
    My little balloon just gave me great news

So you received your books already?
  • Version4Version4 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I pre-ordered just the ICND2 version of the book from Cisco Press, it shipped out last Friday. UPS says it'll be here tomorrow sometime.

The Kindle version of the ICND2 is available now (the Kindle version of the ICND1 says it will be released on the 17th, and the CCNA composite doesn't have a Kindle version yet - hardcover only....):
    Amazon.com: CCNA ICND2 640-816 Official Cert Guide, 3/e eBook: Wendell Odom: Kindle Store
  • j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    Version4 Have you read Kindle versions of the Cisco Press books? I'm concerned about the graphics not displaying properly.
    With Monday being a holiday in the states, threw off the shipping time. I think I have some readying to do.icon_cheers.gif
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
    j-man, nope haven't had the opportunity yet. If I knew I would have been able to get the Kindle version before my print version (still not here yet!) I would have tried it. I have read various reviews on Amazon that say sometimes graphics do not display properly on the Kindle. YMMV especially depending on what Kindle you have. Mine is the Kindle 2. If the book comes in PDF form on the included CD/DVD I'll try to shoot it over to the Kindle and reply back.

Hoping to have my 640-816 copy in hand any time now.... UPS always delivers so late in the day!
    Version4 wrote: »
    j-man, nope haven't had the opportunity yet. If I knew I would have been able to get the Kindle version before my print version (still not here yet!) I would have tried it. I have read various reviews on Amazon that say sometimes graphics do not display properly on the Kindle. YMMV especially depending on what Kindle you have. Mine is the Kindle 2. If the book comes in PDF form on the included CD/DVD I'll try to shoot it over to the Kindle and reply back.

Hoping to have my 640-816 copy in hand any time now.... UPS always delivers so late in the day!

The PDF version should be on one of the 2 CDs that come with the book. I read it on my iPad 2 and didn't notice issues with the graphics. Different devices though, so YMMV.

Book finally came, UPS delivered at 7:30pm, nice!

717 pages including the glossary. I loaded up the DVD. I'm not sure if this is a mistake or what, but my DVD only contains PDFs of chapters 2, 3, 5, 6, 12-18, and 25. The rest are missing. There is a link in the book and on the DVD for a Premium Edition eBook, however it is not live yet: CCNA ICND2 640-816 Official Cert Guide, Premium Edition eBook and Practice Test, 3rd Edition

I'm fine without the PDF, was just going to test it for j-man. I went ahead and converted chapter 2 PDF to Mobi format and transferred it to the Kindle. The results weren't very good. Using Auto Kindle from Sourceforge, there is a lot of white space and the sentences don't mesh - no graphics either. Using Mobipocket Creator yielded better sentence and paragraph structure, but no graphics. Maybe I missed an option in the software, but I didn't have time to check. I didn't try the Kindle fee/free service.

I would expect that tablet devices would work ok, as onesaint stated. E-readers are still YMMV.
  • j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    Thanks much for the info guys!

I'm not too sure how much I'd like a kindle version of a tech book. I'm constantly flipping back and forth to look at diagrams which may be inconvenient. My first thought was about the graphics until I thought of that.

Tech wise. I'll stick to books. Literature, the kindle.
    onesaint wrote: »
    The PDF version should be on one of the 2 CDs that come with the book. I read it on my iPad 2 and didn't notice issues with the graphics. Different devices though, so YMMV.

There is 1 companion DVD with a couple chapters in PDF, but it is not there in it's entirety. There is a link to get the "Premium Edition eBook" @ 70% off.. There is a coupon code inside the DVD sleeve.

HOWEVER! Following the link from the DVD menu -
    Premium Edition
    This product currently is not for sale.
    CCNA ICND2 640-816 Official Cert Guide, Premium Edition eBook and Practice Test, 3rd Edition
    Pearson Link -Still NFS
    Pearson IT Certification: CCNA ICND2 640-816 Official Cert Guide, Premium Edition eBook and Practice Test, 3rd Edition
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
    KrisA wrote: »
    There is 1 companion DVD with a couple chapters in PDF, but it is not there in it's entirety. There is a link to get the "Premium Edition eBook" @ 70% off.. There is a coupon code inside the DVD sleeve.

HOWEVER! Following the link from the DVD menu -
    Premium Edition
    This product currently is not for sale.
    CCNA ICND2 640-816 Official Cert Guide, Premium Edition eBook and Practice Test, 3rd Edition
    Pearson Link -Still NFS
    Pearson IT Certification: CCNA ICND2 640-816 Official Cert Guide, Premium Edition eBook and Practice Test, 3rd Edition

Whoa. Thanks for the update. In the Version 2 books (from the library version 3) the PDFs came with the full books on their respective CD. Interesting that they don't anymore.

• Gaz1988Gaz1988 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've had the 3rd edition on Pre-Order for ages! I was expecting to take delivery of it from Amazon.co.uk on the 8th/9th of this month but I got an email saying they are still awaiting deliver from there supplier, is there anywhere else this book can be purchased?
    Gaz1988 wrote: »
    I've had the 3rd edition on Pre-Order for ages! I was expecting to take delivery of it from Amazon.co.uk on the 8th/9th of this month but I got an email saying they are still awaiting deliver from there supplier, is there anywhere else this book can be purchased?

Cisco Press: Source for Cisco Technology, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE Self-Study
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Whoa. Thanks for the update. In the Version 2 books (from the library version 3) the PDFs came with the full books on their respective CD. Interesting that they don't anymore.

I think I'll cancel my pre-order can get the 2nd edition for half-price then. The PDF's are very handy to have, almost indispensable.

Nate
    When I am sitting at the house, I enjoy sitting with a "real" book. Going to the Dr office etc etc I like the lightweight ereader. I wanted to have the ability to "pick-up where I left off" but that isn't happening. I sent a request to Cisco press asking when the eBook will be available.
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
    Anybody know what's going on with the Official Cert Library? I placed an order like 2 weeks ago and now on Amazon, the date has been pushed back a third time to November 7th! I read on a post here that it was riddled with errors. Could that be the setback? Anybody else waiting for orders?

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-640-802-Official-Library-Updated/dp/158720438X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2Q84JKPF594L2&colid=1ZDQC58EA3HMI
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239

This is because the PDF's are easily available for download on the internet and cause people to just find them and not purchase the book. You can expect to see this for all books from here on out. It was the same thing with Todd's 7th edition CCNA book that was just released during the summer.
    SdotLow wrote: »
    This is because the PDF's are easily available for download on the internet and cause people to just find them and not purchase the book. You can expect to see this for all books from here on out. It was the same thing with Todd's 7th edition CCNA book that was just released during the summer.

Interestingly, I have Lamel's 7th edition book for the kindle. You would think that Cisco would license some sort of (semi) secure digital media like Adobe digital editions or the kindle format for the books. Looks like its peachpit from now on.

• Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    djfunz wrote: »
    Anybody know what's going on with the Official Cert Library? I placed an order like 2 weeks ago and now on Amazon, the date has been pushed back a third time to November 7th! I read on a post here that it was riddled with errors. Could that be the setback? Anybody else waiting for orders?

Amazon.com: CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library, Updated (3rd Edition) (978158720438icon_cool.gif: Wendell Odom: Books

Yeah, I had my order pushed back from Amazon as well. Not sure what the deal is. I looked at Wendell's blog to see if I could find any info, but I didn't have time to do a thorough search. Hard telling--I did find a post by him that he had mainly updated his subnetting section. Since I have subnetting down cold now, I don't really see that being much help. Thinking about cancelling my order, to be honest.

Edit: Found a blog post by Wendell advising whether to buy the new editions or not. Here's the link: http://ccentskills.certskills.com/2011/10/04/need-to-buy/
    Cisco press just tweeted about some issues with the books as well.
    "Visit http://www.ciscopress.com/ccnaupdate for important info. re: CCNA ICND1 & ICND2 pub date changes due to production and printing issue"

Excellent1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I had my order pushed back from Amazon as well. Not sure what the deal is. I looked at Wendell's blog to see if I could find any info, but I didn't have time to do a thorough search. Hard telling--I did find a post by him that he had mainly updated his subnetting section. Since I have subnetting down cold now, I don't really see that being much help. Thinking about cancelling my order, to be honest.

Edit: Found a blog post by Wendell advising whether to buy the new editions or not. Here's the link: Do you need to buy the New Books? Or would you want to buy them? | Wendell's CCENT Skills Blog

What a mess. I really wanted to have the ICND1 book like 3 weeks ago but they've pushed the book back three times now and I'm a little fed up to be honest. I'm thinking of cancelling my order as well and just putting the money towards test fees.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    djfunz wrote: »
    What a mess. I really wanted to have the ICND1 book like 3 weeks ago but they've pushed the book back three times now and I'm a little fed up to be honest. I'm thinking of cancelling my order as well and just putting the money towards test fees.

Yeah, I cancelled mine today. After reading Wendell's comments and thinking things through, I really don't see the value in waiting around for the new books to ship. I'm labbing everything, using Lammle and Bryant and Odom for study material, and I don't feel like I need anything else. Of course, when I take ICND1 in a week, I'll be able to tell you just how badly I miscalculated. ;)
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I am re-reviewing for my ICND2 do any of you all recommend I get the 3rd Edt? I already have the 2nd. - Thanks in adv.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,079 Admin
    I received a pre-release of Odom's 3rd edition ICND1 and ICND2 books to review for my TE blog. The first printing of these books have printing mistakes involving the indexing of figures and tables and have been recalled. (Here are the erratas for Odom's ICND1 book and ICND2 book 3rd ed.) Any books that say "Second printing" are good. Very few copies of the bad books were distributed, but fixing the problem has caused a distribution delay of the second printing.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Do they still have the free version of the bosun exams ?
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • shamzpvtshamzpvt Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anybody have a pdf version of the same? (CCNA Official Exam Certification Library, 3rd Edition updated release)