Options

Controller and AP for Lab

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
I am studying for CCNA Wireless since I am going to need it for my new job. However, I do not have a controller and AP. I am not sure which model I should get.
I already have 3550 switch that I can use, can you guys recommend a controller and AP I can buy from eBay for my lab?
When I buy a controller, do I need Cisco license to connect an AP into it?

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    The controller model will depict how many AP's can connect to it so it's not license restricted. (ie. 2106 6 APs, 2125 25 AP's)

I'm not sure how cheap you can get them off ebay or how much you want to spend but I don't think they will be too cheap. Maybe keep an eye for a cheap 2106, the 5xx series are EoL and are for small business not large scale enterprise.

Are you going to be supporting Cisco Hardware or also the Wireless connection? The CWNP material has some good material on the basics of RF, it's vendor neutral though, but it will have some good material on understanding antennas types and RF signal strength.

I'd find out what version of the WLC software they running and read through the configuration guide. The CCNA Wireless study guides, I did not find very technical. The configuration guides also contain screenshots of the GUI as well as the CLI commands.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    The cheapest 2106 is $750. That is expensive. I just started working about a week ago, and my supervisor wants me to get a wireless certification either CCNA Wireless or CWNA. However, he seems like he wants me to take CWNA. I am going to CCNA Wireless because most of our stuff are Cisco APs (at least right now), and I already have CCNA. However, we are getting some Xirrus APs, you know those 10lbs APs.
    I was working on my CCNP R&S, but I have to put it on hold because of my I really need this CCNA:Wireless cert.

If I were to study the CWNA, would I need a lab for it?
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    For CWNA, you shouldn't need a lab. Since it's vendor neutral. If anything I would get familiar with a spectrum analyzer and start some wireless sniffing.

The CWNP CWNA book is great.
    CWNA (Wi-Fi Administration) | CWNP - Enterprise Wi-Fi Career Certifications
    I've got some CWNA notes on my Blog (along with a bunch of Cisco Wireless blog posts)

(Just my 2 cents, CWNA will be more worth while then CCNA: Wireless especially if your boss wants you to have the CWNA, and even more so if you are going to work in a multi-vendor environment. CCNA: Wireless is just so broad and it doesn't really cover the configurations as in depth as it should to be very helpful (Just my opinion), you will get a better understanding of the Cisco hardware by reading the configuration guides, I've found the CCNA:W to more of an overview then anything. Reading the CWNA material will give a great understanding of the RF technology and 802.11 standards, the Cisco config guides will cover you on the Cisco side. It's your choice on which certification to pursue but they really go hand and hand with troubleshooting and design WLANs, if your just looking for a quick cert the CCNA:W would be the way to go it's far less difficult then the CCNA was (my opinion again).)
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Cool thanks.
    I am still going to take CCNA:Wireless for now, and get CWNA after. I am assuming that once I started my studies on CWNA, I should have an idea at some part of it since they were covered in CCNA:W. I still need to work on my CCNP R&S.

Do you know why there is no study material on CCNP Wireless? Cisco only selling the reference, but no Official guide.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    The Cisco Wireless track is still fairly new, there are only a few quick reference guides for the CCNP Wireless exams. The CCNP Wireless exams cover, alot more then the wireless AP/WLC aspect WCS, 802.1x, are also included.

There are only a handful of Cisco Press Wireless books. (Site Survey, 802.11n, WLCs, etc)

The CCNA: Wireless and CWNA will overlap slightly but both tracks will teach you different things.

Good luck on your CCNA: Wireless studies!
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    I'd like to sincerely ask you to reconsider :) The CWNA will go way more in-depth than the CCNA:W, and if you decide to do the CCNA after the CWNA it will be much easier! And the study guide for the CWNA is excellent and the CWNP.com site is a great resource too. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of material for the CCNA:W, and the equipment needed is expensive.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Cheers,
    Fin