Options

Just Passed 70-640

IT ExplorerIT Explorer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just passed the Active Directory Exam, Now I'd really love to start the next one preparation which is 70-642.

Special Thanks to everyone helped me here to prepare for the 70-640 exam.

Comments

• Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Good Job icon_thumright.gif

642 was easier to me way less topics to cover good luck with it.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    Danny boyDanny boy Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass. I'm taking the exam on Thursday, can you give me any tips on what areas I should focus on?
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Danny boy wrote: »
    Congratulations on the pass. I'm taking the exam on Thursday, can you give me any tips on what areas I should focus on?

I would have to say DNS and Certificates are the two objectives that I saw more of on the test.
    As for tips the Microsoft way is the command prompt over the GUI.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_cheers.gif Nice!
    I agree with 70-642 being a bit less stressful because it has less topics within one exam, not to take for granted though, in this exam expect to see much more detailed DNS scenarios and overall Network Infra. Lab for it as much as you can.

Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    Krunchi wrote: »
    I would have to say DNS and Certificates are the two objectives that I saw more of on the test.
    As for tips the Microsoft way is the command prompt over the GUI.

Thanks Krunchi I'll be sure to give those topics a through going over
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass!
  • Options
    Thanks to all ( Krunchi , Danny boy , Ivanr4g63 , Dakinggamer87 and Psoasman )
    Danny boy wrote: »
    I agree with Krunchi DNS , AD CS and GPO were the most focused in my exam, command prompt is Mainly focued especially in ( DNS , AD CS ) topics and in all topic as general. There were no sims, no drag and drop ,and only 50 Qs, but you must expect all types of questions.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Congrats on your pass! What materials did you use? I'm taking this after 70-680 this month.
  • Options
    Congrats on your pass! What materials did you use? I'm taking this after 70-680 this month.
    thanks Devilry,
    I used Microsoft self-paced training kit with its labs and also 70-640 training kit ( Exam Cram ) by Don Poulton ( it deserve a look ), watched video training materials , and picked up the r2 topics from Microsoft technet , all of these (with gui plus cmd) Finally I did my own labs for most objectives,

Best Wishes :D
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    thanks Devilry,
    I used Microsoft self-paced training kit with its labs and also 70-640 training kit ( Exam Cram ) by Don Poulton ( it deserve a look ), watched video training materials , and picked up the r2 topics from Microsoft technet , all of these (with gui plus cmd) Finally I did my own labs for most objectives,

Best Wishes :D

Thanks for the info, I haven't really seen it mentioned, but is the MS Press kit better than the 70-680? i.e.; no errors.

Or does it have the same issues?

I love Poulton for the 70-680, it would be great to use another one of his books.
  • Options
    Devilry wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I haven't really seen it mentioned, but is the MS Press kit better than the 70-680? i.e.; no errors.

Or does it have the same issues?

I love Poulton for the 70-680, it would be great to use another one of his books.

since it is human work their will be a percentage of errors anywhere, I didn't talk about errors o.k , as well as I didn't compare the two books (MS and poulton), I said that I finished MS one and gave the Poulton's book a look, cos it has alot of useful things you need in the exam, but not to use it as a primary resource. I hope you got the point.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I failed with a 534 icon_sad.gif - the exam was harder than I expected as I don't feel that the MS Training Kit fully prepared me for it. I am now debating whether it would be worthwhile getting another resource to prepare myself for a 2nd attempt or to give up on it.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz IT explorer, I'm studying for the 70-642 now (since I just finished Network+ I wanted to stay on the network stuff while it is fresh in my head before tackling 70-640.) So far I'm realizing there is a pretty big leap from comptia entry level info and higher level certs. Yikes.

Danny Boy, don't give up; grab some additional resources. I picked up Windows Server 2008R2 unleashed to review the topics from another perspective and it looks pretty comprehensive.
  • Options
    Congratz IT explorer, I'm studying for the 70-642 now (since I just finished Network+ I wanted to stay on the network stuff while it is fresh in my head before tackling 70-640.) So far I'm realizing there is a pretty big leap from comptia entry level info and higher level certs. Yikes.

Danny Boy, don't give up; grab some additional resources. I picked up Windows Server 2008R2 unleashed to review the topics from another perspective and it looks pretty comprehensive.

Thanks for the encouragement joehalford01, I'll be sure to get the book, even if I don't retake/ successfully pass the exam it will still be worthwhile to increase my knowledge.
  • Options
    ArmannArmann Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats :D

I'm studying for it now...
  • Options
    rphannrphann Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! Good luck with 70-642.