Options

Major Blackberry outage in EMEA

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
Major Blackberry outage caused by RIM in Europe, Middle East, and Africa going on today. It's all over the web. No word on what the cause is yet, or when service is expected to be restored.

I'm hoping it is back online before my users in that part of the world start work. I think they were all off before it happened.

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It has expaned to the Latin America (LATAM) region today.
  • Options
    Lizano wrote: »
    It has expaned to the Latin America (LATAM) region today.

Yup, and India too...

From their FB page:
    Some users in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, India, Brazil, Chile, and Argentina are experiencing messaging and browsing delays. We are working to restore normal service as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.
  • Options
    Anyone having this in the states? We are....
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Devilsbane wrote: »

I heard people in the US that use Blackberry are mostly unaffected. All 300 of them. /jab at Blackberry ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I heard people in the US that use Blackberry are mostly unaffected. All 300 of them. /jab at Blackberry ;)

300.... 300?? ....

THIS IS SPARTA (mobile version)
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Entire company stopped getting e-mails this morning. Our Blackberry team is blaming it on the outage.
  • Options
    RIM breaks silence over BlackBerry Messenger, BIS | thinq_
    UPDATE 1430:
    We're receiving reports that the problems are getting worse, with users in America now reporting intermittent problems with accessing BBM, BIS and BES services. At this point, the problem appears to have gone global - something which Research In Motion could do without on the day Apple is expected to launch its own BBM equivalent service, iMessage.

It seems like there are few over here.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    we are having issues this morning
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    All of our clients that use BBs are having issues with email this morning as well. One of them was having this yesterday as well, looks like it's spread everywhere.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    I just got a frantic text from my mom that her blackberry internet isn't working but my dads is. She even removed the battery... TWICE.

It has to be related to the whole RIM outage. I can't explain why she would be affected and he wouldn't. Same model phone (hers is red and his is black), purchased at the same time, on the same Sprint plan, and they are both located in the same house. Somewhere along the line he must be connecting to a different server or something.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Our BB's stopped working here in US and Canada this morning. Bad timing, since we are testing iPhone 4s' this week to see about replacing the BB's (we planned this prior to the outage).
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »

nice. get a droid
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I find it slightly amusing that I had to send an e-mail out to all 6000+ Blackberry users that I have telling them that their services are down because of RIM.
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    I find it slightly amusing that I had to send an e-mail out to all 6000+ Blackberry users that I have telling them that their services are down because of RIM.

Which they won't get because they aren't receiving e-mails on their phones. We sent out notifications here. People still call the help desk complaining that they can't send e-mails and are getting e-mails on their computer that don't show up on their phone. Maybe they should actually read those e-mails that are showing up on their computer. Especially that one with the subject "Blackberry Service Disruption"

What did one Blackberry user say to the other?

Nothing.

iPhone migration has also been discussed here. This could easily sway the decision.
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Are there any rumors what caused the outage ?
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    Sett wrote: »
    Are there any rumors what caused the outage ?

RIM said it was a switch on their core infrastructure... Originally rumored to be one somewhere in the UK. Seems like the problem is a little bigger than that now.
  • Options
    Which they won't get because they aren't receiving e-mails on their phones. We sent out notifications here. People still call the help desk complaining that they can't send e-mails and are getting e-mails on their computer that don't show up on their phone. Maybe they should actually read those e-mails that are showing up on their computer. Especially that one with the subject "Blackberry Service Disruption"

What did one Blackberry user say to the other?

Nothing.

iPhone migration has also been discussed here. This could easily sway the decision.

Exactly why I found it funny. :P

We have iPhones and Windows Mobile/Windows Phone 7 devices too, but Blackberry is still heavily predominant, making up over half our mobile device users. With over a dozen BES 5.0 servers and 6000+ Blackberry devices (all corporate owned), we're pretty heavily invested in it.

Too soon to tell if this will cause a max exodus away from Blackberry for us or not yet.
  • Options
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We are having issues today, too.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    FirecellFirecell Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The BB outage is perfect timing for Apple's release of iPhone 4S! icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    Day 4 of the outage... RIM founder Mike Lazardis said that services are starting to return to normal, but it is too soon to say everything is fixed yet.
  • Options
    Firecell wrote: »
    The BB outage is perfect timing for Apple's release of iPhone 4S! icon_twisted.gif

Apple hacked them.
  • Options
    Just finished another press conference, they are saying "Full services restored".

RIM announces BlackBerry services restored. | Fix the Exchange!

I'm curious to see if they will hang whoever made the switch that failed out to dry when they finish their root cause analysis. Question was asked during the conference, but they wouldn't name any of their vendors at this time.
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Just finished another press conference, they are saying "Full services restored".

RIM announces BlackBerry services restored. | Fix the Exchange!

I'm curious to see if they will hang whoever made the switch that failed out to dry when they finish their root cause analysis. Question was asked during the conference, but they wouldn't name any of their vendors at this time.

Any switch will eventually fail. The point is to design the network in a way which will prevent major outages when it happens.
  • Options
    Sett wrote: »
    Any switch will eventually fail. The point is to design the network in a way which will prevent major outages when it happens.

It was supposedly designed that way. They said it was a "Dual redundant high capacity switch designed to protect the infrastructure". They also said the "backup switch didn't function as intended."
  • Options
    That's interesting. I hope we'll get to receive more information on this
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,042 Admin
    Smells like a bad server soft/firmware patch that look a while to go belly-up.