Passed ICND1 this morning!

altjxaltjx Senior MemberMember Posts: 194
Hey all,

I just took the ICND1 exam this morning and passed with an 899.

The exam was much easier than I thought. I only needed to use a few show commands. I used the ICND1 Official Study Guide from Cisco as well as the Boson Exam Environment that was included with the book. I personally believe if you can master that book and the set of questions within the CD, you're set. The exam environment (from the CD) was tougher than the actual exam if you ask me. I have about 88 pages of notes (including many screenshots). I've taken the Cisco courses about 2 years ago and have been studying and getting Microsoft certifications along the way. Recently, my new job in IT Security is more Cisco related material, so I've started studying again on the ICND1 about 2 months ago. A lot of it was a refresher, since I took the class. Thankfully, my company paid for this exam and will for any future.

I will be writing my own subnetting guide, as I've yet to find any subnetting instructions as easy as mine are. It's simply memorizing a few things in mind, and you're good to go.

Any questions, ask away. Thanks for your support. I'll be starting my ICND2 studies sometime later this week.
CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
Cisco: CCENT, CCNA

Comments

  • SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Senior Member Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Were the questions in the test worded similarly to the Boson practist test?
  • altjxaltjx Senior Member Member Posts: 194
    Congrats! Were the questions in the test worded similarly to the Boson practist test?

    Definitely. In fact, the questions on the exam always had a (choose two) or (choose three) next to it if it contained multiple answers. Boson exam doesn't have that, making it not really tougher, but just less of an idea of how many are actually counted.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • soooowutnowsoooowutnow Member Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    2018 Achievements:
    Cloud Essentials SME
    Project+
    CRISC

    2019 To conquer:
    Maybe CGEIT? I don't know - help!
  • altjxaltjx Senior Member Member Posts: 194
    Congrats on the pass!

    Thanks!
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • techie2012techie2012 Network Engineer Member Posts: 150
    Congrats on the pass!!icon_thumright.gif When do you plan on going for the ICND2?
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • altjxaltjx Senior Member Member Posts: 194
    techie2012 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!!icon_thumright.gif When do you plan on going for the ICND2?

    Thanks! I will start studying for the second half late this week. I plan to take it no later than February. icon_cheers.gif
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Gaming Tech Expert Silicon Valley, CAMember Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

    Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • altjxaltjx Senior Member Member Posts: 194
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

    Thanks!
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • j-manj-man Senior Member Member Posts: 143
    Congrats!!

    You might have mentioned in some other thread (yeah, I'm too lazy to search) if you've got a home lab. Do you?
  • altjxaltjx Senior Member Member Posts: 194
    j-man wrote: »
    Congrats!!

    You might have mentioned in some other thread (yeah, I'm too lazy to search) if you've got a home lab. Do you?

    I don't have any physical equipment, but I've had the chance to get a lot of hands on training while I was taking Cisco for 2 years in college. I used a lot of packet tracers as well. Boson comes with some practice questions with some labs involved inside, so that helped out quite a bit as well.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Senior Member Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
    altjx wrote: »
    I don't have any physical equipment, but I've had the chance to get a lot of hands on training while I was taking Cisco for 2 years in college. I used a lot of packet tracers as well. Boson comes with some practice questions with some labs involved inside, so that helped out quite a bit as well.

    what did you use to practice labs? I'm using examples networks from CBT Nuggets.
  • altjxaltjx Senior Member Member Posts: 194
    what did you use to practice labs? I'm using examples networks from CBT Nuggets.

    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I used a little bit of TrainSignal, but I got tired of the slow instructor so I just studied my notes. I used Cisco Packet Tracer to practice all of my labs. I basically have 2 Routers, 2 switches, and 2 hosts. Both routers are connecting each set of devices. I practiced a lot just using that setup.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • MrXpertMrXpert Senior Member Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    altjx wrote: »
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I used a little bit of TrainSignal, but I got tired of the slow instructor so I just studied my notes.

    lol you're not the only one but I admit to actually watching the lot but now the result is I can't stop hearing Chris's voice in my head with special phrases such as "right off the bat" "By Golly" and "always trust but always verify". They should come with a warning, but seriously I did find them very helpful and he does go into good detail.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • cb3dwacb3dwa Member Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    altjx wrote: »
    Hey all,

    I will be writing my own subnetting guide, as I've yet to find any subnetting instructions as easy as mine are. It's simply memorizing a few things in mind, and you're good to go.

    .

    well done on the pass, i wouldnt mind seeing your instructions when available

    cheers dave
  • altjxaltjx Senior Member Member Posts: 194
    Absolutely!
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • djfunzdjfunz Senior Member Member Posts: 307
    altjx wrote: »
    I used the ICND1 Official Study Guide from Cisco as well as the Boson Exam Environment that was included with the book.

    Congratulations on the pass! I'm working on the ICND1 myself right now and all seems to be going well with the CBT Nuggets series. I just ordered the 3rd editions of Wendell's books yesterday to study alongside but I think he no longer includes the Boson Exam's on the CD. Hopefully the Pearson IT Certification Practice Test engine that's included is comparable.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • altjxaltjx Senior Member Member Posts: 194
    djfunz wrote: »
    Congratulations on the pass! I'm working on the ICND1 myself right now and all seems to be going well with the CBT Nuggets series. I just ordered the 3rd editions of Wendell's books yesterday to study alongside but I think he no longer includes the Boson Exam's on the CD. Hopefully what's included is comparable.

    How's the CBT Nuggets going? Do you like CBT nuggets better than TrainSignal? I've had both, but it seems that CBT is much quicker to the point and just seems to remain interesting, as opposed to TrainSignal - always seem like they're taking their sweet little time with everything. But I hear sometimes TrainSignal is much more in depth.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • djfunzdjfunz Senior Member Member Posts: 307
    altjx wrote: »
    How's the CBT Nuggets going? Do you like CBT nuggets better than TrainSignal? I've had both, but it seems that CBT is much quicker to the point and just seems to remain interesting, as opposed to TrainSignal - always seem like they're taking their sweet little time with everything. But I hear sometimes TrainSignal is much more in depth.

    Honestly I really enjoy listening to Jeremy. He seems to really like what he does which adds to the enthusiasm. The TrainSignal series is more like a dry professor at a University just going through the motions. Informative but perhaps not something to start with. I also don't like the overall visual presentation as much. Doesn't seem as professional. I think the combination of the Cisco press books, CBT Nuggets and Labs along with practice tests should put me in a good place to pass. Good luck on ICND2 by the way. :)
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • altjxaltjx Senior Member Member Posts: 194
    djfunz wrote: »
    Honestly I really enjoy listening to Jeremy. He seems to really like what he does which adds to the enthusiasm. The TrainSignal series is more like a dry professor at a University just going through the motions. Informative but perhaps not something to start with. I also don't like the overall visual presentation as much. Doesn't seem as professional. I think the combination of the Cisco press books, CBT Nuggets and Labs along with practice tests should put me in a good place to pass. Good luck on ICND2 by the way. :)

    Oh ok, sounds good. Haha. Thanks a lot man and good luck to you as well with your ICND1 :)
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
Sign In or Register to comment.