Options

Lab setup - switching between multiple serial devices

dmwdmw Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
HI,

I figure this has to be a common question for lab setups. What do you use to swithc between say 4 or 5 serial devices when they have no ip connectivity at first setup. Is there a serial hub type devcie you can connect all the routers/switches to and then connect that to your PC?

If you use such a device and it works well and can give me the make/model I'd appreciate it.
Rebooting computers since 1999

Comments

• Options
    sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    I use a 16 port console server in my lab.
    It took a bit of setting up but it makes it easier to get on them (saves keep swapping cables over). Mine was about £50 or so. Cabling it was fun but wasn't too hard.
    Or you could get a USB to multiple serial adapter (easier to setup but some cost more than a 2nd hand console server)
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm currently using a Lantronix SCS1620 for my lab. It has 16 ports. Though, you have to make your own cables, which if you don't know too much about electronics it can get a bit frustrating.

I picked mine up from eBay - super cheap since the seller said it powered on but no further testing was done. I ran through their little tutorial to re-image the flash card and it works fine.

I really haven't messed with mine so much, a couple of people have said that you can assign the IP's through the GUI, but I can't find where to do that. I'm almost positive it's done through the CLI, no worries though.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    dmw wrote: »
    HI,

I figure this has to be a common question for lab setups. What do you use to swithc between say 4 or 5 serial devices when they have no ip connectivity at first setup. Is there a serial hub type devcie you can connect all the routers/switches to and then connect that to your PC?

If you use such a device and it works well and can give me the make/model I'd appreciate it.

I use a SerialGear CS-42082. Works perfectly, and I have a couple spares that I'm getting rid of:
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices