Options

Finally got my first IT job

keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
2 years after I have graduated, I'm finally offered a tier 1 help desk , contract to hire. I was actually offered two positions and could not choose. The other one is a 9 month cont. But its more of a customer support rep for a software co. handling inquires, site navigation, billing . Ive already gave my notice on at my current job and the help desk starts this monday and the other starts end of oct 31stWhich do I choose? I'mleaning towards the help desk more however

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If one is contract to hire and the other isn't, I'd lean towards the contract to hire. You'd probably get more mileage with the tier 1 help desk that could give you experience with a ton of different technology. I think where your leaning is the right place, congrats!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    The 9 month contract is not a definite permanent, but possibly. Well both is contract and not definite untill actully hired.However its so hard for me to choose..how do I weigh the adv and disadva. Of both...do I go with my gut feeling
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Congrats on your first position!

After about 4-6 months start talking to the right people about perm, and also get your resume out there with your new gained experience.
  • Options
    The starting salary was at 15.00 for 1st level help desk and will bumped up to 18.00 when permanent...is that the average
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depends on the area, I have been looking at helpdesk, 18.00 is a fair wage, seems range is about $16-$20 in Seattle.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Yeah that seems like a decent starting wage. My current "helpdesk" position is $20/hr but it's really not your usual helpdesk work.

What area are you in?
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    keeranbri wrote: »
    The starting salary was at 15.00 for 1st level help desk and will bumped up to 18.00 when permanent...is that the average

Well, what area are you in?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd take the helpdesk one. After 6 months or so, start inquiring about becoming permanent or at least as to whether you would have your contract extended, while at the same time, putting out feelers for a different gig in case you don't get hired or extended.

If I were starting over from the beginning, and didn't have about 75 kids that depend on me, I wouldn't be as shy about taking a contract job as I was when I was starting out.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on job!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think the biggest thing to look at is the technology you are going to support. From the sounds of it, the first position is a normal helpdesk position where you will see everything and the second one is vendor specific. With those details, I'd go for the first if a lot of people don't use that vendors software. If they decide not to hire you or renew your contract, you want to be able to take some skills with you to get hired elsewhere. From the sounds of it, that won't be possible with the second position.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome man! Keep up the great work!
  • Options
    I am chicago, il.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.. I was just very ecstatic, that they chose me, I doing even have any IT experience or certificates. All I have is a bachelors in computers and 4 years customer service exp. And my personality