Options

RIP Dennis Ritchie

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
Father Of C And UNIX, Dennis Ritchie, Passes Away At Age 70 | TechCrunch

Won't make the front page of anything, but Steve Jobs stood on this man's shoulders.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I agree with you!

Thanks for posting, as I'm not sure when I would have seen this icon_sad.gif You are correct that it would unfortunately not be found on the front page in most circles.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Real legend. He'll never get the Steve Job's recognition from the masses, but from these two Dennis Ritchie is the one who actually changed the world.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    RIP. Many of us make our living today off what this man created.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone wrote: »
    RIP. Many of us make our living today off what this man created.

True, I would go further and say all of us. I can't think of a single, common IT system that has not been touched in some way by C.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    True, I would go further and say all of us. I can't think of a single, common IT system that has not been touched in some way by C.

Very true statement.

RIP
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819

i cant think of a os that didnt need unix of some sort ... even msdos was complied on unux
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    ArmannArmann Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for posting this... That was a brilliant man.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    What a loss, I remember reading about his once I started to cut my teeth on Linux and took my first C class.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,042 Admin
    I bought my first K&R C book in 1981 when it and the Bell Labs UNIX manuals was all the docs there was on the C language. I took me a while to figure out how to work in it. The book used a lot of words I didn't understand, like "octal." icon_lol.gif

None of those old UNIX and C guys look very healthy when you see pictures of them; Jon Postel is an example.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    May Mr. Ritchie rest in peace and many thanks for all his wonderful creations that inspired true change.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Sett wrote: »
    Real legend. He'll never get the Steve Job's recognition from the masses, but from these two Dennis Ritchie is the one who actually changed the world.
    Agreed, and taking it further, sadly, neither will his biography sell in millions... sigh...