Options

Why do you want to become a CCIE?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    I wouldn't shovel crap all day for 500,000 dollars a year.

Where do i get my shovel?

But really for the knowledge, and the achievement itself. If there happened to be a corresponding pay increase i wouldn't argue.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    100K salaries can be had without the CCIE. You can get those with professional level certs and real game :)

I never thought this would be the case but ive recently found out that this can be very true and a very realistic target, even without CCIE.

i would love to get the CCIE. For me its the challenge, the prestige and the level of knowledge in my field i will have. My issue with the CCIE, and will probably always be the issue, is the fact that it takes so damn long and can consume alot of those precious years imo as life pretty much goes on hold. Ive worked in a Ops/implementation role but now i have moved across to a design role. Im going to see where work leads in terms of exposure - this will determine if i ever take the IE.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    100K salaries can be had without the CCIE.
    $100k is long behind. Agreed, that's an intermediate-level salary.

I see the CCIE more as a way to get closer to $200k. I love what I do, but I'm a mercenary. :)
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    When I had the dream to be a CCIE, it was purely because of ego!
    I would give up CCIE to shovel crap for 500K/yr. Please let me know where I sign.

I think I have more chances to have 500k/y as dont have a any CCIE to give up..
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Why is there no option for 'chicks' in the poll?!!?!?!

For me, there's no one real answer. What drew me to the CCIE in the first place was the challenge, and ultimately, that remains my motivating factor. I'm not sure if that goes towards ego, or self-gratification. From my perspective, ego and money are certainly factors, but they're secondary, I like tough challenges because I find them interesting.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well am I allowed to answer because strictly speaking I am not doing it?

Two answers: -

1. I'll resume shortly. New job.
    2. My answer for the poll is - self gratification
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    100K salaries can be had without the CCIE. You can get those with professional level certs and real game :)

Agreed.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm with Forsaken...for me its about the challenge. I just recently decided to go for the CCIE Security - not for money or even job prospects - but because I enjoy everything about it.

Plus it means I not only get to finish my CCNP Sec studies but I'll also get to spend the time on the CCNP level R/S material - so I can be well rounded enough for the lab.

Tell me something is extremely hard to do - and that most people either won't try at all or will try and fail - and I want to do it. But I may have a mental problem...
  • Options
    dover wrote: »
    Tell me something is extremely hard to do - and that most people either won't try at all or will try and fail - and I want to do it. But I may have a mental problem...

Oh, I wouldn't say it's a mental problem, I prefer to think of it as the stubborn ******* gene.

As Barney Stinson would say.... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do it for the chicks and because it's there.

We can do a lot of things, don't need to get a CCIE to get a good paying job. Heck, Don't need to do a lot of things, we can play Xbox or Playstation and call it a month. I think getting a CCIE would be an achievement few persons could get.

As duke would say:

"I like a good cigar...and a bad woman..."
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice!

One more Barny-ism describing a CCIE...its like a marathon - there are two steps "“Step one, you start running. There is no step two.”
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Epic revive!

Hmm, my thirst for knowledge would be the main reason, but the street cred is also nice. I mean, sometimes it's just easier to answer the 'Why?' question with a link to your CCIE # verification page :)
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's the difference between ego and self-gratification?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□

One requires hand lotion?

Sorry..couldn't resist...
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□

:Dicon_thumright.gif
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    What's the difference between ego and self-gratification?

Well, from my perspective, self-gratification is something I do for me. It doesn't matter whether or not anyone else approves or cares, I'm happy I did it.

Ego is when I walk into my bosses office after passing the CCIE and explaining how I need a big raise, like right now. Also, shouting down junior admins when they question me and pointing to the plaque and asking them what their number is ;)
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403

Wow I havent seen you posting for awhile. icon_cool.gif
  • Options

Been on and off, very busy at work, very busy studying, so I check in when I literally have nothing else to do, or I'm waiting on something else hehe. Right now I've got to wait on a slow ass field technician to run some fiber jumpers
  • Options
    tigerplugtigerplug Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For me, mainly out of interest to learn more and understand the protocols.
    Careers advancement is a welcome byproduct!
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    I'm getting my CCNA this weekend. That certification is to (hopefully) get me into the IT industry. I don't mind starting from the bottom and climbing up.

Getting the CCNP will probably be about 1) Learning and 2) trying to climb the ladder

However, CCIE is a different beast altogether. Even though it may help you with your job, I believe most people dedicate a lot of time and effort mainly because they love what they do; they love networking.

So, for me it's the same =) CCIE for self-gratification!
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm doing it because you get massive street credit icon_smile.gif
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I think Ego and self gratification kinda go together so that's one part. Another part of my reason is because not everyone can do it. Lastly because someone once told me I would never amount to anything. CCIE would be a great middle finger to wave in their face icon_cool.gif
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    Lastly because someone once told me I would never amount to anything. CCIE would be a great middle finger to wave in their face icon_cool.gif

I know exactly what you mean. I had a parent as well as a few nuns tell me that when I was a kid.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."