Options

Apple iOS 5

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone else had any issues with this? I updated my work phone (3GS) worked like it should, I updated my personal phone (iPhone 4), also worked like it should. I went to update my fiances phone... It worked, but then she couldn't access her visual voicemail. I reset her password, tried to turn it off and on again, then I did the reset where you hold down the power and home button, nothing. Re-installed iOS 5, it started to work, then the texting wouldn't work - arg!!

I decided to downgrade the firmware back to 4.3.5. Restored from an old backup. Worked fine, re-loaded iOS 5, works now, but receiving texts are taking a while to go through (15 - 20 minutes to receive one text message).

Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems.
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    No issues thus far really, I had to reboot once because it was running slow.
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    I downloaded it yesterday, needed to back up purchased apps on the phone. I am installing right now.. Not having a phone could be a blessing..
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't upgraded to iOS 5 yet. How is the new functionality/performance so far?
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    I haven't upgraded to iOS 5 yet. How is the new functionality/performance so far?

Different feel so far. Video's not in the ipod, marketing with adding "Newstand" to go buy from the app store. So far calls and texts working
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My iPad was jailbroken for so long that it seemed "slower" when I upgraded and wiped the Jailbreak lol. I had some tweaks installed that got rid of the fancier animations.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Updated on 3 iPhones and 3 iPads flawlessly and in less than 15min so far. (Didn't have anything major to be backed up on them.)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks pretty good. I like the fact that when someone is calling you and you dont have their number on your phone it actually says where they're calling from. Instead of waiting until they hang up to find out where they're calling from.

iMessage is pretty cool - works on iPad, too.

iCloud is alright for backing up stuff.

Camera access from the lock screen is nice, too. Much easier when you need to take a quick snap.

Some different icons (iPod). Missed calls icon.

I really like how when you're in an app, someone texts you, it'll show a brief part of the message.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My wife updated hers last night I am updating this morning. She had 0 issues mine is still in process.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Anyone else had any issues with this? I updated my work phone (3GS) worked like it should, I updated my personal phone (iPhone 4), also worked like it should. I went to update my fiances phone... It worked, but then she couldn't access her visual voicemail. I reset her password, tried to turn it off and on again, then I did the reset where you hold down the power and home button, nothing. Re-installed iOS 5, it started to work, then the texting wouldn't work - arg!!
    That sounds like the common lack of cellular data network access. I had that a couple of times upgrading to iOS 5 beta versions. Usually waiting (till it's properly activated on the provider's network), or enabling and disabling airplane mode, or resetting network settings (Settings app-> General->Reset-> Reset Network Settings) fixes it.

I've been using iOS 5 betas for several months now and it does have some major improvements over previous iOS versions. Lots of small stuff too, I really like the camera grid and zoom options for example, but also the hourly (double tap a day) info in the weather app. One of the most important improvements for developers is that they no longer need to do memory management manually anymore, which besides making things easier for the developer should result in more stable and less leaking apps.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Webmaster wrote: »
    That sounds like the common lack of cellular data network access. I had that a couple of times upgrading to iOS 5 beta versions. Usually waiting (till it's properly activated on the provider's network), or enabling and disabling airplane mode, or resetting network settings (Settings app-> General->Reset-> Reset Network Settings) fixes it.

I've been using iOS 5 betas for several months now and it does have some major improvements over previous iOS versions. Lots of small stuff too, I really like the camera grid and zoom options for example, but also the hourly (double tap a day) info in the weather app. One of the most important improvements for developers is that they no longer need to do memory management manually anymore, which besides making things easier for the developer should result in more stable and less leaking apps.

Thanks for the great write up! Rep
  • Options
    rjs_essexrjs_essex Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Everything worked fine for me except one thing...

I sync my contacts with Outlook and upgrading to iOS5 wiped out all of my phone contacts on my iPhone!

I modified a few options and resynced my contacts but then it pulled in all of my MSN IM contacts because I have the Windows Live Outlook Connector installed... I didn't want this but couldn't find an easy way to remove them... Finally removed them from Outlook but my iPhone flat out would not sync up and remove the contacts from my iPhone the other way so I have to painfully remove each contact I didn't want one by one (a lot of odd no name, no details contacts too - About 150 of them!). Very annoying when you can only do them one at a time - Unless you pay for an app that lets you delete multiples from the iPhone which I wasn't going to do! This should eb a feature written into the iOS software itself surely?!
    WIP: 70-417, Security+, Project+, CCNA