Options

Feeling like an idiot...

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Well I made a big mistake. I setup multi-factor authentication for Google a few months back using the Google Authenticator with my BB (Blackberry). It's almost identical to the RSA soft-token. I set the backup to be my home phone number. Unfortunately, I never printed out any backup codes. This whole plan fell to pieces when I upgraded my BB to 6.0. I forgot that this would mean resetting my Google Authenticator. Well this didn't seem like a big deal since Google would automatically phone me with a code, right? Nope. Recently I changed my phone number because my number just happens to be one digit different than a popular cruise ship in the area. icon_rolleyes.gif

Google made me fill out this nice short form with 20 questions. I guess we will see whether or not I get to keep my e-mail address. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Seems like you should be able to work something out, its just going to take much longer icon_sad.gif
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not quite as serious, but back when I used to play WoW, I had the authenticator app on my Droid attached to my account...same concept. Not once, not twice, but three times I nuked my phone and put a new ROM on it without removing the authenticator from my account first. The first time I did it I was on the phone with customer service for an hour reading CD keys from the original media and everything else under the sun to prove I was me to get my account back. Now, apparently Blizzard just requires a copy/picture of photo ID and they'll remove it from the account for you.
    :study:
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ouch, that sucks! We've all done something like that at one point or another. Does make you happy the security is so tight right?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Ouch, that sucks! We've all done something like that at one point or another. Does make you happy the security is so tight right?

Yes.

This is another case of me worrying more about confidentiality than availability. I'm hoping that Google will eventually get around to checking my request so I can get back to using my e-mail. I haven't had access since last week. Oh brother...
  • Options
    I was finally given access to my account. This time I have taken every precaution to make sure it doesn't happen again.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I did the same thing with my Wow account a while back, had to submit paperwork to get it removed. They now have a way for you to regain access to your account without having to go through the paperwork process. Figured plenty of people were doing the same thing for their game access.
  • Options
    grauwulfgrauwulf Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I love how Google's ultimate answer to better security is to print out your password icon_razz.gif "No, really guys. Print it out and tape it to your keyboard. That way you'll never forget! What could be more secure than that?!"

Derping through the snow
    in a herp'd up derp-o-let
    then on to the web we go
    a-herp-murp-derp'ing all the way
    DERP! MURP! HURP-HURP! DERP! DERP!
  • Options
    grauwulf wrote: »
    I love how Google's ultimate answer to better security is to print out your password icon_razz.gif "No, really guys. Print it out and tape it to your keyboard. That way you'll never forget! What could be more secure than that?!"

Derping through the snow
    in a herp'd up derp-o-let
    then on to the web we go
    a-herp-murp-derp'ing all the way
    DERP! MURP! HURP-HURP! DERP! DERP!

LOL. If only I could get users to quit doing that. Nine out of ten times they do this, and it's still not as unusual as it should to see users with passwords stuck to their monitor.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    grauwulf wrote: »

It is a different world these days. When computers were first launched, the idea was that coworkers wouldn't get your password. Today, with so much interconnectivity and hacking attempts through the web, sometimes the most secure location is under your keyboard. (Although I'd lock it in a cabinet before I'd do that)
    Decide what to be and go be it.