Options

MCITP or CCNA track?

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello TE!

I would like to know what is the best option, to pursue the MCITP or CCNA track? I would like to be a SysAdmin (only through work experience than certs.) but CCNA looks like I can knock it out in two months if I am consistent with it. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    What's your definition of a sysadmin?
  • Options
    Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    System Adminstrator: administrating to users in large enterprise environment (i.e. 100 - 5000). Perform security updates, patches, provide and create network infrastructure for business environment. That is what I know from the top of my head. Please correct me if I am mistaken.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Alhaji265 wrote: »
    System Adminstrator: administrating to users in large enterprise environment (i.e. 100 - 5000). Perform security updates, patches, provide and create network infrastructure for business environment. That is what I know from the top of my head. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Typically the term System Administrator is used for a person who is the administrator for servers. A Network Administrator would be a person who is the administrator for a network infrastructure, i.e. switches and routers. This of course is not a set-in-stone use for the names, which becomes obvious when you deal with HR departments.

Which would you prefer, servers or routers/switches? If both than do the MCITP:EA or SA and the CCNA.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Goto dice.com and search for MCITP for your area. Then CCNA. That will answer your question.

But even better, why not get CCNP and MCITP and RHCE? Just three certs and you'll probably break 6 figures in a couple years.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    FirecellFirecell Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »

But even better, why not get CCNP and MCITP and RHCE? Just three certs and you'll probably break 6 figures in a couple years.

Which MCITP are you referring to? Enterprise Administrator?
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I would suggest doing 1 of each exam of the tracks, see which one you like best. That 1st exam might get you a job anyway.

Try the Active Directory exam for server 2008 and the CCENT. Both will open your eyes to different worlds.

I started with MS - server, sql, and exchange. Now im getting into cisco and i actually like it more...wish i had done it a long time ago.